RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best fuel treatment to keep the fuel system clean on my 2014 eco. Diesel truck. 85000 miles second intake manifold replacement holes in intake.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use Archoil's AR6200 and Hot Shots EDT. I mix 4 oz of AR6200 to 12 oz of EDT and add 2 oz to each fill-up.

With your mileage and just starting an additive, I suggest you start with Hotshot's Extreme or a double dose of AR6200.

·
Registered
700 Posts
What is the best fuel treatment to keep the fuel system clean on my 2014 eco. Diesel truck. 85000 miles second intake manifold replacement holes in intake.
Hi: ERICK Patterson... Just started to use Hot Shots Extreme Diesel @ 55,000 miles. Already notice a difference in performance and the truck runs much quieter. Required treatment once every 6 months is easy!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi: ERICK Patterson... Just started to use Hot Shots Extreme Diesel @ 55,000 miles. Already notice a difference in performance and the truck runs much quieter. Required treatment once every 6 months is easy!!!
You should be using EDT also

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Good diesel is all you need. No snake-oil is required.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used Diesel Kleen to keep everything lubed, clean and happy, and gel free in the winter. I can't say I ever saw a performance or mileage gain. I started using it at least every other tank, once the fuel stations went to ULSD.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I used Diesel Kleen to keep everything lubed, clean and happy, and gel free in the winter. I can't say I ever saw a performance or mileage gain. I started using it at least every other tank, once the fuel stations went to ULSD.
Ditto! I use my additives strictly for preventative maintenance. Use it on all my vehicles and cannot say it improved performance or mileage. As an additive dealer, I have customers who claim it improved mileage but mileage has so many variables I believe if there is an increase it is small.

To the naysayers, you are correct, you probably don't need an additive. However, there are proven cases where an additive was necessary and worked as advertised. And as a preventative maintenance, they have never been disproved.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Nothing. Just use regular and clean diesel. Now what is with this multiple replacement of intake manifolds. Holes in them means maybe super heat.

If so that means you are burning things up with that EGR system. If so, panic and deal with that issue as it is far more important than looking for some magic elixir.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use diesel kleen and it eliminates the cold start problem for me in my 2018 and gained me 1 mpg, was 2 but now only 1, not sure why. Also seems to be doing less regens. North American diesel is hardly suited for diesel locomotives let alone refined high tolerance european (Italian) diesels.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use diesel kleen and it eliminates the cold start problem for me in my 2018 and gained me 1 mpg, was 2 but now only 1, not sure why. Also seems to be doing less regens. North American diesel is hardly suited for diesel locomotives let alone refined high tolerance european (Italian) diesels.
Winter fuel always nets less mpg

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Doesnt exist in the US, ask the duramax owners

Live in a state with mandated biodiesel? I do, B5-B20, never know what you get.
Lubricity of B2 is greater than what you get with the fanciest snake oil... and lubricity is what was grenading the dirtymax fuel systems.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A 2007 Lubricity test of 19 diesel fuel additives had B2 Biodiesel as #1 with a rating of HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement over the "baseline Fuel". Second place was Opti-Lube XPD with HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement. Third place was only a HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement. The bottom 7 additives were worse than the "baseline fuel" of HFRR score of 636 microns.

So, B5 or B20 has to be better than the tested B2. Is it 5% or 20% better? I don't know.

Here's a copy of that 2007 test.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Live in a state with mandated biodiesel? I do, B5-B20, never know what you get.
Lubricity of B2 is greater than what you get with the fanciest snake oil... and lubricity is what was grenading the dirtymax fuel systems.
Right, lack of lubricity, see john Jensen's post. I havent run any biodiesel here in sc at all.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I run B5 in every tank. Hot Shot's Secret Extreme will significantly clean out the DPF and reduce the amount of regens.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use diesel from the pump with the green handle.

Basically I put in that like hole in the side of the truck, maybe a few times a month.

Then I press that button on the dash.

Personally, I think fuel additives do absolutely nothing when you buy good quality fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
I run B5 in every tank. Hot Shot's Secret Extreme will significantly clean out the DPF and reduce the amount of regens.
Hi: biodesel... I use mostly Mobil diesel... but I'm hopeing Hot Shot's Secret will clean out the fuel system if necessary. Multiple ounces of prevention can't hurt!!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts