RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, thanks to a lot of information from here, I did the full fluid service today.
Differentials, Tcase, transmission, oil and coolant.
Having just done the V08 and a couple recall items, the dealer advised all these items were due at 100k. They would happily complete all the services for about $1190! I told them to stick with the recalls and I would handle the rest!
So today, I tackled the lower radiator hose due to a small leak and went back with new coolant. Next, knocked out oil, tcase and diffs.
Transmission temp was down to 80ish, so I started up, got it to high 140s and went to work. Drained, reinstalled new filter/pan and began the fill procedure. Pumped in a little over 3 quarts and closed it up. Validated correct temperature range, ran through the gears and rechecked. Three pumps later, it was full. In under 5 hours, I completed all the services and saved about a grand!
One thing I did notice, while installing the lower radiator hose(s), actually 3 with a plastic T, it seemed like the intercooler hose was loose. It was rigidly attached but could be turned and wiggled. Almost like the boost pressures it tight. When I started the engine, it was noticeably more solid, but just didn’t seem firmly attached like I would think.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The transmission should have taken 5-7 quarts with a new filter. The intercooler pipe does have a loose fit that seals with an o ring at the intake and the compressor discharge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was thinking on the transmission. Checked it twice, but better do it again just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did you have to lift it to do the tranny?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fortunately, my neighbor has a lift in his barn, so it is very convenient.
However, it could be done easily without a lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately, my neighbor has a lift in his barn, so it is very convenient.
However, it could be done easily without a lift.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Did you have to lift it to do the tranny?
Depends on how well you fit under the truck. Doesn't require much room, running all 4 tires up on some boards would be plenty.

What made my tranny service soooo much easier was making my own fluid transfer pump. Picked up a 1gal pump sprayer from Home Depot for $10. Added a cheap plastic ball valve and some 1/2" clear tubing. Put a plastic 90º fitting on the end to fit into the trans hole and keep the hose away from the hot exhaust.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used a $8 PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Multi-Use Transfer Pump from harbor freight when I did my differentials. Worked great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The transmission should have taken 5-7 quarts with a new filter. The intercooler pipe does have a loose fit that seals with an o ring at the intake and the compressor discharge.
Many thanks for your post, upon re-checking, I was in fact low. End up with about 5 quarts, so I was 1 quart low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts