RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goes without saying a full delete will produce more exhaust fumes, or least more diesel smell. After I deleted I was surprised by how much more though. It is bluish and quite noxious. I have owned two 7.3l fords prior to emission systems (2000 and 2002) and although you could smell the diesel clear as day they didn't seem to burn the nostrils as much as this little 3.0 does. And, no I am not bent over the exhaust inhaling for fun.

Neighbour actually approached me yesterday saying after I remote started at zero degrees celcius their house smelled like exhaust. A little bad luck with wind direction too.

Wondering if others have noticed this or is there something wrong with my truck? HD Diesel Supply tune. Runs great! Just smells enough the Neighbour is complaining...good Neighbour so that isnt the issue.

Hope to hear from some of you and your experiences or thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
welcome(y), and i have the same tune, i also noted increased exhaust visibility and smell, not really an issues here but if i spent a bunch of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic might change the way i view this change, overall happy with the tune and the T&S exhaust i went with, did the engine and transmission tune, flawless so far....as a footnote i have not had mine in anywhere near 0 Celsius (or freezing here);)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Super happy with my tune as well! Just wanting to make sure the fumes are normal. The I have to figure out how to keep the neighbpur happy lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do these catalytic converters affect the tunes? Anybody know?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Ask Flomaster , I’d guess insignificant....It Tones down the exhaust sound significantly .The Cat needs to be installed as close to the engine as possible....

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
295 Posts
I have a full delete GDE tune. I also added a small catalytic converter to the straight pipe. The exhaust is definitely unpleasant but I’d like to think it helps. I can hook up a trailer with the truck running (I have a dual exhaust), but I heard another member comment that it was bad enough that he had to turn off the truck.

If you add in a cat, make sure it has metallic guts, not ceramic.

Also tagging @KRom if he wants to chime in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mind me asking what catalytic converter you have, or from which company? Flowmaster site doesn't have one to fit the truck, but I see they have generic cat converters too.

I have the dual exhaust as well and assume you installed your converter before the split?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used this one linked below, purchased from eBay. It’s not very big. But it is fairly cheap. You can see where I placed it on the exhaust stream. I wonder if placing it closer to the turbo would help with fume control. The problem is finding a straight spot on the exhaust to weld it in. I opted for a flex pipe as well, located shortly after the turbo.

Plant Grass Pipeline transport Gas Pipe
Wood Gas Tints and shades Audio equipment Automotive tire
Wood Natural material Metal Knife Tool

·
Registered
295 Posts
The hotter the exhaust temps, the better the cat will do it’s job. The balance is finding how close to the turbo you can locate it without prematurely causing it to fail, if that’s even possible.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
149 Posts
Do you mind me asking what catalytic converter you have, or from which company? Flowmaster site doesn't have one to fit the truck, but I see they have generic cat converters too.

I have the dual exhaust as well and assume you installed your converter before the split?

I also have full delete with FloPro straight, 3-piece pipe into stock muffler, making it a dual exhaust on the back. I did the addition of catalytic converter to my truck after getting a face full of fumes during hooking up trailers.
I read here on forum about someone in Canada adding a cat after delete, and did same thing. Ordered 5" cat from ebay with a flex and welded it in. My converter sits closer to the front, about where urea injector is in stock exhaust.
One thing I can say is it will not help your neighbors while you warm your truck up. Catalytic converter starts to burn off smell once it gets hot. In my truck it is about 170 degrees coolant temp. Before that it reeks.
Now, when truck is fully warmed up, it smells like good 'ol 5.9 Cummins.
I drove about 10k miles since putting in this setup, including a 10 day roundtrip from WA to GA few weeks back, and I can say it removed stinging/chemical/eye-burning smell.

And thanks @Dennisvab, this is fun read. Below is some if my work and the cat I got.
Good luck!

Jeans Tool Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wire Electrical supply

Light Font Gas Electronic device Screenshot
Aircraft Wood Airplane Toy Flooring

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks KRom and Dennisvab will be keeping this in mind as fall and winter temps approach, i also have not been bothered to bad when hooking up trailers, of course not spending a bunch of time in the area and typically the truck is completely warmed up by the time i get to the trailer(s) at our property and the camera makes pretty quick and easy hooking up a reality, but i have noticed if i "remote" start with truck in shop it will bring the tears 😢 but i'm keeping my shop (heated) 45-60 F in our mild winters, so warmup is short duration for me, in most cases, thanks again, very informative input(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting fact. At outside temp of 1 deg C it took my truck 8 minutes to warm up to 75C coolant temp and 12 minutes to hit 94C. This was at hwy speeds 100kph to 120kph.

My normal commute to work is about 6 minutes down the hwy so the cat converter won't help me much on my commute. Not that the exhaust is an issue driving down the hwy.

I will keep the truck in a heated garage for winter so I guess that will help a little.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
149 Posts
I should clarify that this catalytic converter removes the eye-burning smell almost right away, just leaves diesel smell, probably about a minute into warm up. At about 170°F it almost fully stops the smell all together. My wife complained of diesel smell, that it burns the nose, so I had to make her happy. It certainly worked for me, as my wife approved if this mod, saying it worked. But yes, I'd give it second thought if I'd only work 5-10 minutes away from home...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
For the sake of your neighbor, don't warm up, just drive off after a few seconds, but use a winter front when it's below 32F.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco HD Diesel Supply tuned and stage 2 deleted at 30k.
168 Posts
I also have the HD diesel full delete and mine stinks to high heaven. I love it. To me raw diesel exhaust is the smell of money after fishing and logging in Alaska all those years.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I also have the HD diesel full delete and mine stinks to high heaven. I love it. To me raw diesel exhaust is the smell of money after fishing and logging in Alaska all those years.
I agree! I have an Arctic Cat Diesel ATV with the fuel screw maxed out, smells great, my Ecodiesel with intact DPF/SCR smells weird, at least hooking up a trailer. However, not everyone appreciates the smell of diesel smoke in the morning.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Whenever I fully delete mine I will hollow out the factory exhaust system and leave the factory doc in place. Best and cheapest way to do it. All you need to do it is cut a 2 inch by 2 inch window in the dpf and the scr, hollow them out with a hammer and a screwdriver, re weld the window. Done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts