RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started out with a text from my son who lives a block away from me. He had a racoon in his back yard and at 3 feet away from him was not afraid in the daylight. With a yellow lab and 3 young kids, not a good situation. Told him to get a hold of animal control or a heavy shovel. I get home from being out and 2 of my dogs in the house are going nuts. Low and behold I have a coon in the tree in front of my house. I got the garden hose out and gave him a blast in the face and body and all he did was go up just out of reach. Not to be bested I thought, why not get the pressure washer out. Got all set up and hit him in the face full force and then back and forth on the body to face. He went a little higher thinking he would be good but my stream followed him. He slowly started coming done trying to keep the trunk of the tree in the way but as he moved I moved and kept blasting until he ended up running across the street to finally shake off. He then continued on his way away from my house. Pressure Washer 1 Racoon 0. Big laugh for me and my neighbour.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My son picked up a trap on his way home for half price because he has a green space behind his yard. He put a piece of bread and peanut butter on it in as bait and within an hour and a half he had a guest. It will be taking a trip to his FIL's farm.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
In Michigan there is a specific hunting season for racoons. There is also a clause that states you are allowed to shoot racoons any time they're doing damage or about to do damage. I questioned a Michigan DNR officer on what qualifies as "about to do damage". The office's response was "any time you see one".

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
I shoot them often. No pressure washer needed. Now a shovel or passing vulture works well.

Neat idea to remember for the toads hiding above my back porch gutters.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with shooting them is I live in town. Besides I haven't owned a gun for probably 40 years. If I had one would not miss. Qualified as first class marksman to 600 yds with open sights while I was in the military.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
5 racoon this summer , 1 skunk , and 1 marmot/groundhog
buying the trap/cage was a great move , local municipality had
an option to rent one for $20 for 10 days , no good
I purchased mine for $80 , and been needing it more than 5 times/year in the last 4 years .
when I release my racoons , they all climb up the nearest tree ...
Surprisingly the stinkiest of all three creatures is the adult groundhogs .
to save a bullet some just submerge the cage in water drowning the beast ,
I prefer catch and release ,
I've noticed them in the cage when I had no time to go release them,
so I gave them water and peanut butter sandwich , release next day .

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
There was 6 acres of woods behind my house until recently when it was sold and developed. We've had the following visitors over the years: deer, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, opossum, rats, mice, moles, and a ton of squirrels and cats. Since March when I got fed up with the smell of skunks I've trapped 4 and have "Stinky 5" on video awaiting his turn. Best skunk trap ever is the Ztraps tube trap. Can't spray if they can't lift their tail and they can't while inside the tube trap. Next comes a dose from a CO2 tank and, as Pat Travers sang "Out go the lights." Stinky 4 was a fatty and possibly a pregnant female. Maybe I dispatched some future stinkers! I have Stinky 1 on edited video complete with music and sound effects including video from a camera inside the trap. The look on his face when he knew he'd been had was priceless.

**If a moderator says it's okay to post the video I'll put it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts