RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Big Horn EcoDiesel, 4WD, Bilstein leveling kit, few mods here & there....
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I are considering a TT in the future. When looking a tuning options how many believe you should have got a trans tune when you did a tune upgrade, and how many with a trans tune don't feel as thought it was worth the money?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Laramie; New Compliant GDE
16 Posts
I have the GDE engine and trans tune and it makes a huge difference. It came as a package so I dont know what its like with only the engine tune but the combo is night and day verse the Stock tune.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the GDE engine and trans tune and it makes a huge difference. It came as a package so I dont know what its like with only the engine tune but the combo is night and day verse the Stock tune.
Pardon me but what the hell does “huge difference” mean. Specifically, what is so drastically different in your setup vs stock using trailering mode? This guy needs specific info to help him decide.

Reactions: Jaybird66 and MAS

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I'd say take what you read with a grain of salt. I do not have a trans tune but do have an engine tune. I hear people say all the time its night and day difference... and its not! Can I feel the difference? Yes, but it is not big or overly apparent.

I assume the trans tune is less. The only problem i have with my stock transmission performance is i think it upshifts too soon in lower gears in non tow/haul mode. Put it in tow/haul and i have never had a complaint even at and over max weights.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Laramie; New Compliant GDE
16 Posts
Pardon me but what the hell does “huge difference” mean. Specifically, what is so drastically different in your setup vs stock using trailering mode? This guy needs specific info to help him decide.
Ha my bad, he didn't ask for specific info he just asked if he should get it and if its worth the money those are pretty broad questions so I gave a broad answer. I believe the shift points are significantly improved especially in the lower gears. I also think in my opinion, the truck feels like it has more power than the stock tune, which while towing makes you feel more comfortable. Also, I would've sold my truck if I would've had to keep the stock tune but with the aftermarket tune I really like my truck, so I would say that is a night and day difference (sell or dont sell/night vs day). I also dont have experience with only the engine tune so I cant speak to that but I put that in my original reply.

·
Registered
2017 Big Horn EcoDiesel, 4WD, Bilstein leveling kit, few mods here & there....
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have both engine tune and transmission tune. Both are positive changes. Towing transmission holds gears much longer and you don't experience nearly as much down shifting under load. IMO pretty hard to have an opinion if you don't have the transmission tune.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think your question is moot because almost every tuner sells them as a package deal now. I don't think you can buy an engine tune without the trans tune.

Or if you look at it from another point of view; if you already have an engine tune, you can't just buy a trans tune to go with it. when you buy the trans tune it will come with a new engine tune.

I know this is the case for GDE, and I think the same is true of HD diesel, SFT and MRTuning as well.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I'd say take what you read with a grain of salt. I do not have a trans tune but do have an engine tune. I hear people say all the time its night and day difference... and its not! Can I feel the difference? Yes, but it is not big or overly apparent.

I assume the trans tune is less. The only problem i have with my stock transmission performance is i think it upshifts too soon in lower gears in non tow/haul mode. Put it in tow/haul and i have never had a complaint even at and over max weights.
I disagree. I did the engine and trans tunes at different times, so I know how much of a difference each makes. And I can honestly say the trans tune made much more of a difference than the engine tune, especially when towing. The trans downshifting and turbo brake work so well together, very intuitive to slow heavy loads without using the mechanical brakes.

The trans tune makes rolling through the first three gears very quick, giving hemi-like performance where the trans was previously very lazy. Holds the proper gear on the highway while the engine tune adds fuel to get the work done. All in all just a great experience.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I disagree. I did the engine and trans tunes at different times, so I know how much of a difference each makes. And I can honestly say the trans tune made much more of a difference than the engine tune, especially when towing. The trans downshifting and turbo brake work so well together, very intuitive to slow heavy loads without using the mechanical brakes.

The trans tune makes rolling through the first three gears very quick, giving hemi-like performance where the trans was previously very lazy. Holds the proper gear on the highway while the engine tune adds fuel to get the work done. All in all just a great experience.
Many say theirs ran like crap stock. I never felt like mine did. Many complain that theirs wont upshift and holds gears to long etc. never had a problem with that either. I dont know if its different factory tunes as they have evolved or what. I have never had a single complaint out of the trans under tow partly why i think it cant be too big a difference. Its already to me perfectly time crisp and smooth. But no i havent driven one with the tune.

My wife was never able to tell the difference driving the truck with the engine tune and without. I can tell but its not readily evident. Many claim it turned theirs from a dog to a dragster, im just saying dont expect the world.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think a lot of anyone’s experience with a tuned engine and/or trans vs stock is based on what they are towing (length, weight, axles (1, 2, 3?), hills, desired speed, and desired MPG. I’ve read too many stories about how bad a truck tows when the truth was that the driver was either over working the truck or had too much trailer for the conditions and blamed the truck.

Reactions: bla60ah and MAS

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have read many posts on different forums about the transmissions downshifting or won't hold 8th gear and whining about it, that's what the transmission is for, TO PROTECT THE ENGINE FROM LUGGING. If the transmission downshifts on my truck......GOOD, IT NEEDED TO DO IT'S JOB. I've read many posts about blown engines, spun rod bearings etc, A diesel engine is different than a gas engine, they need to be driven like a diesel, DON'T LUG IT! I've been around diesels and gas engines a long long, time, and concerning big rigs I was told once that if it's just going to be driven by 1 or 2 drivers that Cummins was a good choice, but if there were numerous drivers then a Detroit was a better choice, this was back when everything was manually injected, Detroit 2 strokes are no longer available, the Cummins is, and you can still hear when they're lugging. IMO, too many want to maximize fuel mileage by maintaining 8th gear, let it downshift, that's what it needs to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts