RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - As Block Heater Season approaches, I wanted to share the setup I've been using now for 1 year.

My setup - garage electric standard 120v outlet, 50ft outdoor extension cord, iDevices Smart Wall Outlet switch (Amazon Web link).

IMG_8443.jpg

The smart switch I have been using required minimal setup, no additional equipment (besides your smartphone + existing home WIFI) and works with BOTH Amazon Alexa & iPhone Siri assistants (despite what the box says).

The benefits of this switch is primarily convenience, you'll get no argument from me that a $10 24hr timer can't achieve the same results. Rather this switch's benefits shine when you have an unpredictable schedule, like I do, where a daily timer's setup may not be convenient.

Having a smart switch is extremely nice - no longer do I need to go outside to adjust timer, plug / unplug the block heater during times where I didn't have timer.

As soon as I wake up, I can ask Siri on my phone to turn the heater on. Or while in the kitchen making coffee getting read to run an errand ask Alexa instead - "Turn On My Truck Engine Block Heater."

The Smart switch has fully customizable scheduling beyond the manual ON / OFF voice control + offers real time energy monitoring to see how much power the heater is drawing.

IMG_7404.PNG

If a setup like this sounds appealing - I'd highly recommend checking this one out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Atlanta so...ya it never gets cold here....but just cause, I can so I did.

I did the same thing bought a smart switch for my outlet in the garage and hooked it up to my Wink system. So I can turn my block heater on and off like you are doing. I can also set it to a schedule. I leave for work at the same time every day, so it can turn on automatically at the same time.or I can tell it to turn on

Good set up for you know those blistering 40 degree nights we get in Atlanta or the crazy 1/2 of snow every three years.
I agree, it is a great idea.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How hot does the oil get with the electric engine block heater plugged in?
There’s a bunch of other threes but from memory. The block heater gets temp up to around 90F.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Will it work with an Android based phone? I have a Samsung S7 will be getting a new phone Sam on Black Friday

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,773 Posts
Will it work with an Android based phone?
The app is available in the Playstore for the iDevice Smart Switch

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idevicesllc.connected

I use an Aeotec Smart Switch 5 to turn my block heater on and off. I works the same as the iDevices noted above but it's Z Wave. With my home automation system I can schedule it for time/date, count down timer(turn off after xx amount of time) and also add in if the temperature in the garage is above say 40°F to not turn on at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm to old I guess to figure out all the programming and I also don't want a nanny in my house monitoring everything I say so I just got a remote controlled plug in cord for my block heater extension cord off amazon for like 9 bucks. I just push a button on the remote and it turns on the current.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great idea. FYI it takes about 2 hours for the block heater to get to full temperature or to get a good effective use of the block heater. I do know that if you leave it on all the time it will be seen on your electric bill...I found that out with my Cummins.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It heats the coolant. The oil will be at or near ambient until it starts to flow. Since the block is warm it will start to warm up the oil much faster. They make oil pan heaters as well but I've never looked into them for a pickup truck/SUV. I've seen them on heavy duty trucks and tractors. Some of these beasts ran 1500 Watt heaters.

It was 3F this morning and my old fashion timer (just one of those plug in and set the dial types) turned on the block heater about 90 minutes before I had to start the truck. Coolant read 68F when I rolled it over. It then cools off a bit as it circulates the fluids. The only pain about the old timer is I have to go into my storage shed and "tweak" the settings for the temperature variations if I don't want the heater on for the full 2 hours. Eh.

0.400 kW * 2 hrs * 0.135 $/(kW*hr) = 0.108 $/day. Not too bad.

Now if I left it plugged in all night after I get home from work that would be about 14 hours ... 0.400 kW * 14 hrs * 0.135 $/(kW*hr) = 0.756 $/day

Doesn't seem like a lot but times 30 for the month ... $3.24 / (30 days) for 2 hrs per day to $22.68 / (30 days) for 14 hours a day. You can buy a remote timer for about that much. You will also make Al Bore so happy he will add a room to his house.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It heats the coolant. The oil will be at or near ambient until it starts to flow. Since the block is warm it will start to warm up the oil much faster.
Depends on ambient temp, but heat transfer through the aluminum (or is it a compacted graphite?) block and pan heats my oil. Woke up to 32*F this morning. Timer turned on at midnight and I leave at 530. Coolant was 90* and Oil was 68*. I also park in a pole barn so there is no wind-chill to pull any heat back out of the block/pan.

When it got to a constant 50* and cooler here I started testing the block heater and found that coolant and oil would warm up at the same rate the higher the ambient temp is. The more it drops to freezing the less heat transfer gets to my oil.
I've noticed my block heater is good for about a 10* increase per hour of use from ambient temp regardless of ambient temp though.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,077 Posts
While I only plug in for 1-2 hours, I've never seen the coolant temp above the 100 F. minimum on the dash. Since the oil is in the bottom of the pan I would think it has no heat at all. There are aftermarket oil pan heaters that work well, I've used them on other rigs. And if I was in constant below zero F I would probably get one.

However the block heater does speed up the warm up, along with the fast idle, it don't take much time to defrost things, maybe 5-10 minutes depending on the outside temp.

This 3.0 L diesel needs all the help you can give it to get it hot, especially those days of short trips to the Dr, etc. But I've never had to go out of my way to get it warm, yet. I'll plug in anytime it's in the 20's F. or less to help things to warm up faster.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
On a side note: The Cummins block heater is 750 watts, the EcoDiesel is 400 watts
Isn't it @250W? At least this is what I recall...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Nope, I've posted a picture of rating stamped into the body of the heater(UL requirement) and have verified via my smart plug(see pic).
Thanks! I'm not sure where I remember that 250w from...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts