RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bakflip FiberMax has now failed me two times. Both with the same problem - water leaking right through the hinges. I cannot comfortably rely on my stuff being dry in my bed which sucks big time. Bak has been great about replacement of the first one and now the second one I'm getting a full refund!

Now - what to do next? I really like their Revolver X2 as it meets many of my needs. However I would like a cap too.
My Needs:
1. Secure - don't want vinyl where a razor can gain access in 2 seconds.
2. Able to stand kayaks up in the back of bed so the front will fit under. I carry up to 5 kayaks in the bed stood up on their sides.
3. Full access to bed - don't want the trifold where 1/3 remains covered (thus my BakFlip choice)
4. Works in the winter!!
5. Rear window view while retracted - Revolver X2 does fulfill this need.
6. This is a want - a cover that I don't have to open in order to shut the tailgate. This really bugged me about the F-Max.

Concerns with RevolverX2
1. use in the winter - if there is residual snow, will it roll up?
2. water infiltration - my confidence in Bak is waning.
3. Its brand new - but, it is more of a "next generation" RollX

Thanks for any input you can give me on my next cover purchase!

CB

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
When researching tonneau covers, most said that they were not 100% water tight. The only ones I see that are were the ones with a gasket and opened like doors.

No cover is 100% waterproof but this cover features weather resistant seals. In addition to these seals, the surface of the Revolver X2 is covered in vinyl. So by design, water will roll off the vinyl top.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When researching tonneau covers, most said that they were not 100% water tight. The only ones I see that are were the ones with a gasket and opened like doors.
Agreed- however I don't expect the water to come in thru the hinges into the middle of the bed. Around the corners - yes I'd live with that.

How about the Retractable type covers? RollBak? the canister inside gives me pause. Worried about the kayaks not going in all the way.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Agreed- however I don't expect the water to come in thru the hinges into the middle of the bed. Around the corners - yes I'd live with that.

How about the Retractable type covers? RollBak? the canister inside gives me pause. Worried about the kayaks not going in all the way.
You're in luck. First rainstorm with my Pace Edwards Jackrabbit and my Bedrug. Results. Little damp by the tailgate (at hinge) and each front corner was a bit damp. Truck was parked rear end up the driveway. If you want to see the seal on the tailgate, I can take a picture. Overall, I am happy.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[Q UOTE=choochooman74;102444]You're in luck. First rainstorm with my Pace Edwards Jackrabbit and my Bedrug. Results. Little damp by the tailgate (at hinge) and each front corner was a bit damp. Truck was parked rear end up the driveway. If you want to see the seal on the tailgate, I can take a picture. Overall, I am happy.[/QUOTE]
saw that one too. Good to know.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This is where I assume the little bit of water came from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
CB919, I have the Revolver X2. I'm in Southern Cali so can't say much about snow, but we just had a mess of rain blow through and when I checked under the cover all I had was some very slight leakage in the corners next to the cab. I drove it through a downpour and it sat in the parking lot at work for a whole day. I was thoroughly impressed. I'm going to add a little weather stripping where I noticed the leaks and hopefully it makes it nearly water tight. I picked this cover over the trifold just because of the rear window view issues. No complaints from me so far.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'ver had good success with my undercover flex. Not completely dry, but mostly, even when driving in pouring rain
I also like my undercover flex. Sometimes there's a little water on the edges if it rains really hard, but not much, and in many cases there has been no water at all after driving in the rain.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had the F1 on my truck for 2 weeks now, there has been a few torrential downpours recently and my bed has been pretty dry. The tonneau cover will require lots of small adjustments to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had the F1 on my truck for 2 weeks now, there has been a few torrential downpours recently and my bed has been pretty dry. The tonneau cover will require lots of small adjustments to fit perfectly.
Mine is not a question of fit and function. It's aligned and it latches good, etc. It leaks in the hinges. Not at the ends but right in the middle. I can tell water is getting past the panel to hinge seal and then when I open it especially, the water seeps out as it's being squeezed by the pivoting of the hinge.

The design looks like it relies on sealant or maybe even a sealant tape as the primary seal in the hinge channel that receives the foam sandwich panel. It's obvious that it has failed on both my covers.

Actually my replacement cover pull cords that release the latches like to disappear up into the extrusion on one side (randomly). It sucks cause it's always on the side I'm standing on and then I gotta walk around to fold the rest of it back. No handles like the F1 has.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine is not a question of fit and function. It's aligned and it latches good, etc. It leaks in the hinges. Not at the ends but right in the middle. I can tell water is getting past the panel to hinge seal and then when I open it especially, the water seeps out as it's being squeezed by the pivoting of the hinge.

The design looks like it relies on sealant or maybe even a sealant tape as the primary seal in the hinge channel that receives the foam sandwich panel. It's obvious that it has failed on both my covers.

Actually my replacement cover pull cords that release the latches like to disappear up into the extrusion on one side (randomly). It sucks cause it's always on the side I'm standing on and then I gotta walk around to fold the rest of it back. No handles like the F1 has.
I thought all Bakflip trifold tonneau covers are similarly designed, other than the material used for the cover. My F1 has a channel that funnels all the water that enters via the hinge seals out back towards the tailgate or to the front, where it will exit out the drain tubes. I guess I'm fortunate for not having experience the massive leakage so far. Only time will tell...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought all Bakflip trifold tonneau covers are similarly designed, other than the material used for the cover. My F1 has a channel that funnels all the water that enters via the hinge seals out back towards the tailgate or to the front, where it will exit out the drain tubes. I guess I'm fortunate for not having experience the massive leakage so far. Only time will tell...
You are correct. Same design. Panels on F1 is FRP both sides and a little thicker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a bak f1 and having it replaced. Great at first only after having it 7 months the panel are filled inside with water. It looks like to me the aluminum has developed very small cracks about the lent of my pinky fingure nail. I am assuming this is the cause due to it being dry inside before I saw those cracks. When it rains in fl it rains. They have sent me a replacemnet cover under warrenty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have taken my Bak RollX through a Colorado winter with the truck parked outside. Almost no water leakage and very easy to use.

You do have to brush it off to roll it open but it does not need to be perfectly clean.

I was having a hard time telling the difference between the RollX and the Revolver X2

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have taken my Bak RollX through a Colorado winter with the truck parked outside. Almost no water leakage and very easy to use.

You do have to brush it off to roll it open but it does not need to be perfectly clean.

I was having a hard time telling the difference between the RollX and the Revolver X2
Good to know. I know the X2 has more latch engagement from watching their video. There were reports of off roaders complaining they would unlatch when the body and box twisted from trail articulation. Probably a few more tweaks too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My Bakflip FiberMax has now failed me two times. Both with the same problem - water leaking right through the hinges. I cannot comfortably rely on my stuff being dry in my bed which sucks big time. Bak has been great about replacement of the first one and now the second one I'm getting a full refund!

Now - what to do next? I really like their Revolver X2 as it meets many of my needs. However I would like a cap too.
My Needs:
1. Secure - don't want vinyl where a razor can gain access in 2 seconds.
2. Able to stand kayaks up in the back of bed so the front will fit under. I carry up to 5 kayaks in the bed stood up on their sides.
3. Full access to bed - don't want the trifold where 1/3 remains covered (thus my BakFlip choice)
4. Works in the winter!!
5. Rear window view while retracted - Revolver X2 does fulfill this need.
6. This is a want - a cover that I don't have to open in order to shut the tailgate. This really bugged me about the F-Max.

Concerns with RevolverX2
1. use in the winter - if there is residual snow, will it roll up?
2. water infiltration - my confidence in Bak is waning.
3. Its brand new - but, it is more of a "next generation" RollX

Thanks for any input you can give me on my next cover purchase!

CB
sounds like what you really need is a SUV... or a minivan:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts