RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

GDE Compliant Engine & Trans Tune Road Test

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  rfuilrez 
#1 · (Edited)
2020 Ram Rebel, Ecodiesel 32,000 miles.

I now have several hundred miles on the GDE engine and trans tune. All I can say is wow. This is the way our trucks are suppose to run!

First, the customer service experience at GDE was exceptional. Their website explains a lot and is easy to understand. They even give you a cell phone number to call or text and you can text them any time, even on weekends (I may have gotten lucky, who knows) if you have questions. Their professionalism and pursuit of customer satisfaction was refreshing. Don’t take my word for it, stop by their shop and take a look. Do your own homework. Check out their website, their test facilities. These guys are full time professionals, not just fly by night tuner dealers or salesman making a fast buck.

Here are the features and my thoughts, in no particular order. JMHO

1. Paddle Shifter
The paddle shifter now acts like a paddle shifter instead of a gear limiter. The only issue is you have to up shift every time you take off or your in the last gear after automatically down shifting. To cancel you just hold the + button until the current gear light goes out. Nice add on! B+

2. Transmission Shifting Points.
MUCH better shifting than stock. Firmer and a tad higher RPM to help reduce lugging. Throttle response is much better with no stock “dead peddle” or delay. (If you don’t have a trans tune and want to know kind what it’s like drive around in the stock tow haul mode, it’s similar. Much easier on the engine. ) A+

3. Engine Idle
The engine jumps to 1100 when it’s cold. This is a nice feature after the oil pressure is up to warm the engine faster. PASS

4. Mileage Gain 1 MPG
This is a tough one to gage because I just changed to a winter blend fuel, so it’s not Apples to Apples comparison. I will defer to what others are claiming as MPG gains.

5. Tow / Haul Mode
This is where the transmission tune really shines. Wow! The shifts are even more firm and the RPM shift points are 1,000 RPM higher than non tow / haul mode.

6. Regen Notice
A very nice feature to have to ensure a completed Regen before shutting down the engine. Pass

7. Engine runs cleaner.
Stay tuned. I took an oil sample and sent it to black stone the day I installed the GDE tune and trans tune. I’ll drive 3,000 on this oil change and see if there is a noticeable difference. I realize not I should drop the oil at 1,000 miles to “flush” the system, but I’m to cheap to waste oil.
TBD

8. Engine Brake
Very nice feature over 2,500 RPM. A very noticeable drag (engine braking) that slows you down without touching the brakes. Not sure how much I’ll use it in Nebraska. Kidding, when I do get in the mountains it will be a nice feature. 😂🤣👍🇺🇸PASS

See less See more
#6 ·
I've been thinking about a GDE tune but would much prefer to have it done at a shop I can drive to and wait while they do their magic.
Well it's been done before by a member from California if I remember their location correctly. I know there have been a few others both local and out of northern Ohio that have gone to GDE's shop. Give GDE a call and see if you can set up an appointment and make the drive from Wisconsin. 😁
There's some good places to eat along your way to and from.

#9 ·
Yeah my trip was 5 hours each way. Not terrible really.

I was there right around 1.5 hours from pulling into the parking lot to pulling out. @GDE did everything. I brought my own blank ECM for them to clone to. They provided the transmission tuner and 12+8 cable.

I have a ‘22 Laramie and the software was newer than the latest they had done. So they needed to create a new tune file while I was there. This took extra time. Also, the tuning software they use had just pushed a new update so they needed to download and install that before they could read my old ECM. That also took extra time

The drive home was great. Noticeably more lively when passing and getting up and going. Both the engine power and transmission. I’m not an aggressive driver by any means, so I haven’t really stomped on it good yet to see what all she’ll do. I haven’t had a chance to drive my normal routes and hand calculate mileage yet, so that’s still unknown.

#10 ·
Yeah my trip was 5 hours each way. Not terrible really.

I was there right around 1.5 hours from pulling into the parking lot to pulling out. @GDE did everything. I brought my own blank ECM for them to clone to. They provided the transmission tuner and 12+8 cable.

I have a ‘22 Laramie and the software was newer than the latest they had done. So they needed to create a new tune file while I was there. This took extra time. Also, the tuning software they use had just pushed a new update so they needed to download and install that before they could read my old ECM. That also took extra time

The drive home was great. Noticeably more lively when passing and getting up and going. Both the engine power and transmission. I’m not an aggressive driver by any means, so I haven’t really stomped on it good yet to see what all she’ll do. I haven’t had a chance to drive my normal routes and hand calculate mileage yet, so that’s still unknown.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I think an extra ECM is basically a necessity, if one wishes to keep OE software as a backup to switch to for visiting the local stealership for service/warranty/recalls. I'd much rather quickly swap ECMs than try finagling with the handheld device; had one of those for the Bluetec and I don't recommend it.

#12 ·
I have the GDE handheld device for my 2015 EcoDiesel and really like it. It only takes 6 minutes to flash back to stock, or vice versa. Plus, it can read and clear codes. I'm not opposed to the ECM swap, but I've been holding off getting the GDE tune for my 2020 EcoDiesel in hopes they will release a handheld device sometime in the next year or two. As of right now, I only drive my 2020 truck once every 3 - 4 weeks. The 2015, however, is my daily driver.

Reactions: nc_beagle
#16 ·
Just to be clear...If one has a GDE tune installed, is it necessary when putting in a factory ECM before going to the dealer to "reflash" the tranny?

What would be the outcome if the ECM was replaced with Stock, but leave the tranny tuned for a short time...ie: go to the dealer for an oil change and then put the tuned ECM back in?

#19 ·
Just to be clear...If one has a GDE tune installed, is it necessary when putting in a factory ECM before going to the dealer to "reflash" the tranny?

What would be the outcome if the ECM was replaced with Stock, but leave the tranny tuned for a short time...ie: go to the dealer for an oil change and then put the tuned ECM back in?
Yes it is necessary, the engine and trans tunes mate together. If you run stock engine tune and GDE trans tune, it will set a fault code. All or nothing.

#17 ·
I am not a tuning customer, so how does a company like GDE manage updating your firmware?

There will always be changes to the code that the dealer puts in place that are useful or necessary. That's the reason they are done - like the tone ring sensor change. So you change your ECM/reprogram to stock, get a dealer flash, and ... what? How is that change then applied to your tune? Is there an agreement between you and GDE for a certain time that dealer updates will be rolled into your tune? Is it a per-item cost? And in the case of a 2020 or later vehicle, every time this happens, with no portable programming option, what then? Send in both ECMs and lose access to your vehicle?

#18 ·
I am not a tuning customer, so how does a company like GDE manage updating your firmware?

There will always be changes to the code that the dealer puts in place that are useful or necessary. That's the reason they are done - like the tone ring sensor change. So you change your ECM/reprogram to stock, get a dealer flash, and ... what? How is that change then applied to your tune? Is there an agreement between you and GDE for a certain time that dealer updates will be rolled into your tune? Is it a per-item cost? And in the case of a 2020 or later vehicle, every time this happens, with no portable programming option, what then? Send in both ECMs and lose access to your vehicle?
It’s a $50 update fee to update your ECM. You would get the update on your stock ECM and send it to GDE. They would make a copy and send it back. Now you can send them the tuned ECM to be updated. This way you have full access to your vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.