RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and Eco Diesels...forgive me if I don’t know all the correct nomenclature while I drink from the fire hose that is this forum.
Does a GDE tuned ECU keep the EGR system from allowing exhaust into the intake manifold? If so, does than mean the truck wouldn’t use any DEF? If so, let the DEF tank run dry or will that cause a problem?
Side note: lots of TLAs on this forum :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Def gets injected into the scr to strip NOx emissions apart into harmless stuff. The egr recirculates inert exhaust gasses back into the intake to lower the available oxygen which results in a lower in cylinder temp thus lowering the production of NOx emissions, NOx is created whenever combustion occurs over 2500 F. The standard gde hot tune shuts off the egr system but keeps the def system intact and functional. They well shut off the def system by request for an extra fee but no reason to unless the system is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew a guy from Hermiston would have the answer! After GDE does the EGR function do any harm to performance or MPG or just make the tree huggers feel better?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The egr once shut off does nothing but it is still under pressure and heat just not as much heat. Cause of that it can leak but is much less likely to leak when shut off, if it does leak when shut off it well do much less harm than if active. Really the only downside is slightly higher NOx emissions but since the scr and def are still intact and functional its probably not to bad. NOx emissions are not a green house gas there harmful to us humans and a big cause of smog so there really bad in cities prone to smog, portland really is not bad for smog but I try to spend very little time there.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Funny. There guys may want to play you around a bit with all the abbreviations.

The answers are, in order ... YES, NO, YES.
That dirty, sooty EGR is NOT related to the DEF system. They are independent and one operation is not associated with the other. You let the DEF tank run dry and there WILL be problems. Here iit is in short form.

Get the GDE Hot Tune. Install. Now, unless you ask GDE to put in a total shut-off for the DEF, you need to have something for that injector to inject. I use water in my tank. You can use DEF if you fear a freezing issue. Might even try windshield washer fluid that will resist freezing. I resist freezing here in Florida but living here so I use water.

Your EGR will be shut off, oil and engine will run clean and you even get more advantages in operation and reliability.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ordered ahead of a 1,500 mile trip coming up. Won't even have enough time to determine the current MPG but what the heck? Looking forward to reporting back my experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GDE delivered today. :cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Followed the directions read to me...unfortunately I read them after and realized that I did NOT disconnect the glow plug module but completed all other steps. Upon starting the dash displayed the 90% EGR message...get to the highway...did that and all seems well. Is the glow plug module critical to a successful install? How can I be sure it “took?”
Note to self...if you want something done right, do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Unplugging glow plug connector is just to give you better access .
the message to go hit the highway is normal , it is not EGR message , but DPF ( diesel particule filter ) message ,
all who installed new GDE tuned module got that .
imagine that your DPF was full at 65% , ( stock tune regen trigger point is 66% ) ,
then you install a new ECM that thinks your filter is at 9% ,
that would mean your truck would go a long time before starting a regen ., specially since GDE tune will only regen at 80% ,
in order to not overfill the DPF , the install is followed by a ride on the highway where you will see a regen take place ,
then when it ends you are at 8% soot and the software in the ECM starts from there to measure the soot % , your next regen will
start when you reach 80% , if you have a monitor you can see it go up .
If you kept your stock ECM , it would be a good idea to note the soot % kept in memory of ECM removed when swapping
so that you do not fill soot to exagerated levels .

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Welcome to the GDE group.

The dirty oil in the engine will not be cleaned. You will have to change it and then you will see how it stays that way. Actually the first change after might darken as the oil pickups up the dirty residue from all passages. Once the engine is clean it stays that way.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Followed the directions read to me...unfortunately I read them after and realized that I did NOT disconnect the glow plug module but completed all other steps. Upon starting the dash displayed the 90% EGR message...get to the highway...did that and all seems well. Is the glow plug module critical to a successful install? How can I be sure it “took?”
Note to self...if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Ive swapped my ecm quite a few times without touching the glow plug module that is just to give a little extra clearance. The dpf 90% full message is because the ecm does not know how full it is so it does a regen to establish a level.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gents. Ran it about 60 miles today on both surface and interstate roads. Off the line felt smoother at modest and aggressive acceleration. I tend to notice changes in sounds compared to my friends and family members. Could be from my old days tracking submarines (story for another day). It is slightly louder now and shifts at slightly higher rpm’s at moderate and greater acceleration. My trip from PORTLAND, OR to Napa, CA should give me a fairly good idea of the mpg although I will go over some mountain passes up to about 4,300’. Looking forward to having the ED on the open road!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just returned from my trip. Approx 1300 total miles with over 90% on interstate 5. Went over several mountain passes up to 4300’. MPG averaged 26.1 measured by the truck, not manual. Seemed pretty good due to passes and many elevation changes. Average speed was about 68 mph.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Just returned from my trip. Approx 1300 total miles with over 90% on interstate 5. Went over several mountain passes up to 4300’. MPG averaged 26.1 measured by the truck, not manual. Seemed pretty good due to passes and many elevation changes. Average speed was about 68 mph.
The more you use the cleaner the engine will get. Maybe the fuel mileage will even get better? Thanks for the follow-up on your new GDE trip.

Question. Does TLS really just mean "three letter acronym?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looked but didn't see this...once GDE is installed is there still a need for a catch can or does GDE eliminate the oil vapors from flowing into the system?
Saw the CFT Performance catch can...looks like good quality. I have one on my wife's Durango R/T and it catches more oil than I imagined. Good stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
looked but didn't see this...once GDE is installed is there still a need for a catch can or does GDE eliminate the oil vapors from flowing into the system?
Saw the CFT Performance catch can...looks like good quality. I have one on my wife's Durango R/T and it catches more oil than I imagined. Good stuff.
It’s still needed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts