RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got "New Improved EGR Cooler" and "Inlet Manifold" installed at 19600 miles and GDE tune installed at 26k miles. How often should I perform EGR cleaning (Cooler and Valve removal and cleaning) and MAP sensor cleaning? Every 60k? Oil change was performed after GDE tune at 26k as well and oil analysis at next change will determine soot level decrease. If soot levels decrease significantly, is it still advisable to perform MAP and EGR cleaning every 60k? I am not shying away to spend the money to perform the cleaning but just checking people's experience and input on it.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Ive never cleaned mine, probably wont. 99,000 miles and going.
You have the old tune with the EGR off.... Apples and oranges.

To the OP, I would recommend removing your EGR diffuser tube and checking the soot level on it. There isn't a set interval. The soot should be minimal, but will be more than the Pre-EPA Hot tune, because now the EGR is functioning and it wasn't before.

Reactions: HYDREX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have the old tune with the EGR off.... Apples and oranges.

To the OP, I would recommend removing your EGR diffuser tube and checking the soot level on it. There isn't a set interval. The soot should be minimal, but will be more than the Pre-EPA Hot tune, because now the EGR is functioning and it wasn't before.
One follow up question - why will soot now be more? I know the EGR was functional before the GDE Hot Tune and is functional even now, the GDE EPA Compliant tune is not deleting or removing EGR functionality to my knowledge and that's what GDE rep confirmed as well. The burning pattern will change to many reasons and soot will be lot lesser now onwards. Just curious! But thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
One follow up question - why will soot now be more? I know the EGR was functional before the GDE Hot Tune and is functional even now, the GDE EPA Compliant tune is not deleting or removing EGR functionality to my knowledge and that's what GDE rep confirmed as well. The burning pattern will change to many reasons and soot will be lot lesser now onwards. Just curious! But thanks for the reply.
The old GDE hot tune turned off the EGR in software. Which means the EGR exhaust valve was closed and no soot made it into your engine. The new EPA GDE tune does not close that valve but is required to leave it open. So overall the soot is lower because their tune is very efficient, there will still be more soot than a tune with the egr valve closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The old GDE hot tune turned off the EGR in software. Which means the EGR exhaust valve was closed and no soot made it into your engine. The new EPA GDE tune does not close that valve but is required to leave it open. So overall the soot is lower because their tune is very efficient, there will still be more soot than a tune with the egr valve closed.
I understand it now and it makes sense. I measure soot at every oil analysis every oil change. In the next oil change, I wish I see soot levels like 0.1 or 0.2% which is very comparable to gasoline engine. Anyways, my soot levels have always been 0.6% or so every 8-9k oil change interval. So a 75% reduction in soot levels is win win I will say but eager to drive 10k miles soon enough to check it.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Interested to see what you find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interested to see what you find out.
I sure will share on this post but it be 3 years down the road as my truck now is 26.5k on the meter and I plan to spend $1400 on this service and ask my mechanic to fully clean EGR, inlet manifold, MAP sensor and all. If checking turbos and sensor(s) related to it is piece of cake when all that is opened up, I will ask him to check that too. That is the lifeline of this vehicle. But, by Jan 2022, I will find out reduction of soot when I do oil change which will be after the GDE Tune install and I get my oil analysis each time from this diesel of mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts