RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GDE is has a great business model to double up their revenue. They know we all wanted the $3000 pay out for our emissions recall.

To get this they knew we must overwrite their tune. Why take only 50 dollars from us to perform the simple update when they can take another $500 more dollars. They know i have already invested 500 and have nothing to show for it, so why not send them another 500 to get my tune back. To make it seem like a good deal the claim it is 50 bucks for the update but wait you need to add on the trans tune and a tuner (totaling the price of the original tune price we already paid)

When all said and done our option is $2500 in our pockets with no tune or 2000 in our pockets to get the tune back. GDE saw the opportunity to resell us a downloadable software that we already purchased. They knew most people wouldn't think twice as FCA gave us money. WELL PLAYED GDE!!

They make a good product so I will probably pay for it. overall GDE is a company that makes a great product with a great business model.

·
Vendor
1,229 Posts
I am not sure that was by choice. IF FCA did not jack up the entire fleet with horrible software updates, this would not be needed. If the EPA did not change their rules disallowing 'off-road racing use only', then none of this would have happened. We are forced to sell as a kit only due to the emission certification process. You will enjoy the trans tune, it is well worth the cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
Or you could have found a used ECU, programmed the injector codes, installed it and let the dealer flash it and then returned home and swapped back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GDE is has a great business model to double up their revenue. They know we all wanted the $3000 pay out for our emissions recall.

To get this they knew we must overwrite their tune. Why take only 50 dollars from us to perform the simple update when they can take another $500 more dollars. They know i have already invested 500 and have nothing to show for it, so why not send them another 500 to get my tune back. To make it seem like a good deal the claim it is 50 bucks for the update but wait you need to add on the trans tune and a tuner (totaling the price of the original tune price we already paid)

When all said and done our option is $2500 in our pockets with no tune or 2000 in our pockets to get the tune back. GDE saw the opportunity to resell us a downloadable software that we already purchased. They knew most people wouldn't think twice as FCA gave us money. WELL PLAYED GDE!!

They make a good product so I will probably pay for it. overall GDE is a company that makes a great product with a great business model.
GDE has a great product, I run both engine &trans tune.
I didn't keep my original ECM (recommend) and had to buy a used one later to keep my tunes.
Totally out of their control the forces that changed the landscape of all tuners. Happy to see they are still able to survive, others didn't.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
GDE has had to evolve as a result of resent setbacks. I have no doubt that the best thing for my truck, for its longevity and my pocketbook.....GDE has been my saviour. I'd have dumped this thing a long time ago instead of loving it and putting over 230,000 kms on it in 3 1/2 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree they make a good product all I am saying is it was strategic to profit. They are making more money due to this crack down and we settlement money to play with. It is hard to believe the only way to make it compliant with EPA is to require customers to buy trans tune and a programmer. At least let us avoid the programmer and send you our ECU in like before.

I loved my GDE Tune and I am a fan. Its just bs thats all

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,427 Posts
I agree they make a good product all I am saying is it was strategic to profit. They are making more money due to this crack down and we settlement money to play with. It is hard to believe the only way to make it compliant with EPA is to require customers to buy trans tune and a programmer. At least let us avoid the programmer and send you our ECU in like before.

Your missing the point and thinking they did the mail in ECU on purpose. The option to use a programmer wasn't available when they launched the Hot Tune initially. By the time it was available they already had a well established model for ECU tuning in place and other than mail in there wasn't any advantage to change performance wise.
The EPA crack down came out of left field for everyone, even Banks Power got pinched on their products and they're in CARB's backyard.
Without even getting into any fines or legal fees I bet GDE is probably close to $50K in the hole getting the new tune to market.
I haven't paid too much attention but it sounds like GDE is working with previous tune owners instead of just telling them to pound sand.

·
Registered
396 Posts
OP - If you want to protect an investment, or anything you absolutely don’t want to do without, you must protect it to the best of your abilities. Without a backup ECU with a stock tune you put your investment at risk. Unfortunate but true. There was never any guarantee that GDE would ALWAYS be able to provide a re-flash of what you paid for. It sucks but that’s what happens. I hope you get a positive outcome so you can enjoy the benefits GDE has to offer but it sounds like you hate them and wouldn’t give them the opportunity to help you. I feel for you, truly I do, and hope this thread moves positive for you.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
for many months I had to read how useless my decision to keep my stock ECM was ,
then the EPA crackdown happened , and stock ECM became a humongus peace of mind item ,
of course I'm in Canada and it is business as usual for us up here with GDE , but who's to tell if
the same crap happens up here ....
Toedrag12 could have saved his ECM for around $400 with Alfa OBD ,

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Since they dont want to pay an additional 60k+ to get the ecm tuning and tcm tuning certified stand alone instead of as a combo package they cant sell them separate. So unless your willing to send both your ecm and tcm in to be tuned it has to be done via handheld through the obd2 port.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts

You're crying over spilled milk. It's your fault and your fault alone that you didn't have a pre-ban tune waiting at home for post-AEM install as some of us did.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist.

It's expensive to obtain EPA and CARB certification. GDE has explained it would have cost a LOT more to certify the tunes separately.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
GDE said in a post a few weeks ago , that they were trying to get the hand held device manufacturers
to expand memory in tuners , so they could do both tunes with only 1 tuner ,
because at first you needed one tuner for engine tune , and another tuner for the transmission tune .
as this been solved ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am considering a tune for my 2014 JGC ED. This looks to be an active thread so I would like to ask for some real world feedback on satisfaction with your tune. My principal concerns are mileage and engine health. I just passed the 100k mark so all but the emissions warranties are done. There looks to be a lot of positive feedback for the GDE product. Anything on Banks stuff? Other recommendations?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
all opinions so far , are based on previous versions of GDE tune ,
the tune that you will get from GDE will start to run trucks shortly , and no one has it yet .
they are professional and I'm sure it will be the best that US owners can get .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am considering a tune for my 2014 JGC ED. This looks to be an active thread so I would like to ask for some real world feedback on satisfaction with your tune. My principal concerns are mileage and engine health. I just passed the 100k mark so all but the emissions warranties are done. There looks to be a lot of positive feedback for the GDE product. Anything on Banks stuff? Other recommendations?
Supposed to release the next version Monday 6/22, I preordered it last night.

I have a 2014, did the GDE tune @35k miles, lost it at 115k when I took my truck in for VB1 recall. I really miss it, the post recall factory tune really made the truck gutless and lost 4-5 mpg on average. It was a big difference. I didn’t have the trans tune, looking forward to giving that a try as well. If the outcome is 80% of the previous tune, it will be well worth doing.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Banks is not a tune, only sensor trickery existing outside the stock tuned ecm. I think you'll be happy with GDE's product and customer support.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Laws change, companies must adapt to these changes. If I had to pay another $1200 for the combo I would. This is the only real tuner in the states. Happy to support GDE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks to me like you’re getting a trans tune for your $$ that you did NOT have before. How is that in any way “wrong”? Unless I’m badly mistaken GDE had to get the engine AND trans tune certified together to meet EPA refs OR pay double fees to get them certified separately. The trans tune is a great improvement over standard. Just go for it, you won’t be sorry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts