RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passing this on FYI.
Several months ago I got a Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune on my 2014 BH Quad cab (very pleased with it). I'm waiting and concerned (along with everyone else) about how the pending W58 dealer ECM software update will affect the HT.

I contacted GDE on the W58 flash:
At some point (presumably) FCA will deliver the pending W58 recall. I’ll restore the original ECM tune before going to the dealer for the update.
Do you know if I’ll be able to re-flash your HT after the dealer updates the OEM tune, or will you need to re-jigger my tune first?

They responded:
The recall puts new software in the ECM. We won’t have access to that software until it is released so we wouldn’t rush to get it. We won’t be able to update you for at least 4 weeks once we see the software ourselves.

I'll wait for GDE to digest and update their tune before getting the W58.

· Registered
63 Posts
Passing this on FYI.
Several months ago I got a Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune on my 2014 BH Quad cab (very pleased with it). I'm waiting and concerned (along with everyone else) about how the pending W58 dealer ECM software update will affect the HT.

I contacted GDE on the W58 flash:
At some point (presumably) FCA will deliver the pending W58 recall. I’ll restore the original ECM tune before going to the dealer for the update.
Do you know if I’ll be able to re-flash your HT after the dealer updates the OEM tune, or will you need to re-jigger my tune first?

They responded:
The recall puts new software in the ECM. We won’t have access to that software until it is released so we wouldn’t rush to get it. We won’t be able to update you for at least 4 weeks once we see the software ourselves.

I'll wait for GDE to digest and update their tune before getting the W58.
What's the w58 recall just bought a 2018 ram ecodiesel and bought the gde tune

· Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feel free to get the crank position sensor recall at your leisure. GDE has support for it now.
Is the W58 just a “band-aid” to get to a dealer if the ring fails, or is it a permanent fix meant to supersede the crank signal?

The recall notice is vague on this, and forum speculation is all over the place.

· Administrator
10,265 Posts
Is the W58 just a “band-aid” to get to a dealer if the ring fails, or is it a permanent fix meant to supersede the crank signal?

The recall notice is vague on this, and forum speculation is all over the place.
Since you will get a check engine light, it's not a permanent fix.

The recall states:

"the remedy component will be a software flash
that, if failure of the tone wheel occurs, causes a MIL to illuminate and
prevents an engine stall."

· Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Since you will get a check engine light, it's not a permanent fix.

The recall states:

"the remedy component will be a software flash
that, if failure of the tone wheel occurs, causes a MIL to illuminate and
prevents an engine stall."
Interestingly my notice does not say anything about a MIL.

In fact, “...reprogram the Power Control Module to maintain engine operation if the signal material is lost.” sounds like a permanent fix...

· Administrator
10,265 Posts
Interestingly my notice does not say anything about a MIL.

In fact, “...reprogram the Power Control Module to maintain engine operation if the signal material is lost.” sounds like a permanent fix...

The fact that the MIL is iliuminated is a pretty clear message it's not a permanent fix. Ultimately the wheel will need replacement.

Attachments

· Registered
76 Posts
The fact that the MIL is iliuminated is a pretty clear message it's not a permanent fix. Ultimately the wheel will need replacement.
Except as identified above, the remedy component will be a software flash that, if failure of the tone wheel occurs, causes a MIL to illuminate and prevents an engine stall.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the MIL be extinguished with yet another software Recall? If so why replace the tone wheels at all. If not, why bother with another yet again software recall? If the tone wheel is the problem just replace it and press on. I have the GDE hot in my truck since new. Currently just short of 70k miles, not like some members here who 100k, 200k mile trucks, of trouble free driving. My truck currently has 3 open safety recalls So far I have been able to save my GDE tune by keeping my truck from the dealer. I did not keep my factory ECM, a mistake I have now come to regret because I am going to have to, sooner or later bring this truck in to complete these recalls resulting in me being left at square one, needing a new tune. I won't keep this truck without a tune. Has anyone here had the original GDE hot and now uses the new EPA tune from GDE. Your thoughts on how you like it and any recommendations.

· Administrator
10,265 Posts
Except as identified above, the remedy component will be a software flash that, if failure of the tone wheel occurs, causes a MIL to illuminate and prevents an engine stall.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the MIL be extinguished with yet another software Recall? If so why replace the tone wheels at all. If not, why bother with another yet again software recall? If the tone wheel is the problem just replace it and press on. I have the GDE hot in my truck since new. Currently just short of 70k miles, not like some members here who 100k, 200k mile trucks, of trouble free driving. My truck currently has 3 open safety recalls So far I have been able to save my GDE tune by keeping my truck from the dealer. I did not keep my factory ECM, a mistake I have now come to regret because I am going to have to, sooner or later bring this truck in to complete these recalls resulting in me being left at square one, needing a new tune. I won't keep this truck without a tune. Has anyone here had the original GDE hot and now uses the new EPA tune from GDE. Your thoughts on how you like it and any recommendations.
I don't have the new GDE tune, but those who do seem to be very happy with it.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
I did not keep my factory ECM, a mistake I have now come to regret because I am going to have to, sooner or later bring this truck in to complete these recalls resulting in me being left at square one, needing a new tune. I won't keep this truck without a tune. Has anyone here had the original GDE hot and now uses the new EPA tune from GDE. Your thoughts on how you like it and any recommendations.
Just grab a stock ECM to use for dealer visits. I'm a little ECM heavy at the moment with three lol.

Reactions: Dieselfever

· Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What happens when the wheel fails with the W58 update? Any sort of limp mode? Does the wheel eventually need to be replaced. Thanks.
That’s the question not yet pinned down, so until someone actually experiences a tone wheel failure after the W58, can only speculate.

The NTHSA notice states “...the remedy component will be a software flash that, if failure of the tone wheel occurs, causes a MIL to illuminate and prevents an engine stall.”

The FCA notice only mentions the W58 will “...maintain engine operation if the signal material is lost.”

· Vendor
1,523 Posts
It is nailed down. With the W58 recall, if tone wheel fails while driving under load, the engine will blip for a moment, turn on a CEL and continue running in limp mode. This will limit you to about 45mph and very slow acceleration. It will allow a restart as well, albeit in limp mode. You will need to visit a dealer asap to get tone wheel replaced eliminate the limp mode and CEL. If the tone wheel fails at idle, the blip is enough to stall the engine and then you would have to restart. This is like one of those kiddie band aids, does not do much and you still need stitches.

· Registered
56 Posts
That's good information. Now if we can just learn what the code will be, we would know what we have happening.
Despite now driving with two different code readers, it is still worrisome to drive with a CEL on and an unfamiliar code.

· Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for those two codes, GDE.

I also want to thank you for the extremely detailed written instructions that come with your tune. I was able to load the tune without assistance, and I'm not that skilled. I am looking forward to possibly keeping this truck, now that I have the W58 and the GDE tune. 62,000 miles and fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts