RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

GDE Hot Tune Installed!!! Bah-Bye DEF!!!

15K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  TXRoadlizard 
#1 ·
UPS dropped off GDE Tuned ECU today and jumped on it as soon as I got home. Only problem with the install is...I have GIGANTIC hands... I have real trouble finding gloves that will fit over my knuckle-dragging hands, and getting those two bottom bolts out and back in was a royal PIA... Once that was done everything hooked up smoothly and did the startup procedure, which generates a 90% full message on the DPF. I could instantly feel a difference in how the truck shifted and noted much better response. Took about 12-miles to get the DPF back down to the point the message went away. Scanner says it was at around 8%. Also verified that the cruise control will now set at 15 mph. :cool:

I have super high hopes for a much improved experience without all the CEL foo going forward. I would love to do a full EGR delete, but fear that is beyond my mechanical acumen. :cool:

#2 ·
Congrats for sticking with it! And great you're noticing a difference right away. What year ED do you have?

Hoping to join the GDE club in the next couple of weeks - have a camping trip in a month and would like to have the GDE in place before we hit the road.

Bob

Reactions: TXRoadlizard
#3 ·
My ED is 2014. It was a factory order and fairly early I think. It had 70,000 miles on it when I bought it. I made almost 7,000 miles before I got a CEL (P203e) and my DEF fuel gauge stuck on 50%. Consensus here was that if I took it to Dealer they would want to change the DEF Tank for around $3,000. Thank GOD for this forum where I was able to read about GDE and DEF Delete. $900 beats $3K and don't have to worry about it any more. Honestly, if my hands weren't so danged big it would have been very easy to do in under 20-min.

#9 ·
nice to know that option exists for 2014/15/16 , at the price of the def tank and whole system , nice to know one can get the tune
with this option , I read a little on the hot tune , but never got to see that option available , NICE ....
Thanks TXRoadlizard , and Diesel78 , and Bounty hunter.

#10 ·
You write well. Reads like a sign of intelligence and so is your decision. Now questions...

This DEF change by GDE is the topic. Did they tell you that you no longer have to put anything in the DEF tank and can run it dry or do you still have to have something in the tank? My 2014 need something and distilled water can be that "something".Know the newer models can be run dry. Therefore real interested if your programming needs either DEF or distilled water in your tank.

Oh - your installation went better than mine. I broke the electrical connector over the intake sensor. Sid "nuts" and just plugged it back in loosely. Still sitting there over years later without an issue but I know it's not locked as I broke off that part. You are both smart and good.

Reactions: TwoBobs
#11 · (Edited)
I asked GDE this question more in terms of an immediate solution vs a long term one. They indicated it was completely fine to leave the DEF in the Tank as was as long as it wasn't too full in the winter such that it cracked due to expansion. I have another email question out to them more aligned with your question: "Do I have to have anything in the tank? If it is better to maintain fluid in the tank to prevent dry-rot, can I have just Distilled Water vs. DEF?" I'm not crazy about the idea of having DEF sitting in that tank over a period of years as I'm sure it would eventually turn into a crystalline block." I'll post their answer as soon as they reply.

As to my successful install... we say around these parts: "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while." :) I watched a Youtube video about 20-times and then downloaded and read their instructions several more before the unit got to my door. I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I'm cheap. GDE is not inexpensive, but compared with replacing that DEF Tank for potentially $3K, and that not being a permanent fix, I was determined to make GDE work. I was really surprised that everything worked as advertised after the post-install startup procedure. I'd read extensively about GDE on this site and am thankful to you Captainmal and all the others who have shared experiences on this site!

#12 ·
Yes, makes perfect since to shut off the DEF rather than repair. Although tuned, currently my DEF is still functional. Will have it tuned out of existence at the first sign of trouble.

I bought a Cruze diesel a year ago. They are notorious for their DEF problems. I completely deleted all the emissions as soon as it arrived at my driveway. The DEF tank is installed in place of a spare. I ripped that sucker out of there and replaced with a proper spare. It has become our drive the wheels off car.

Yep, I know, deleting the DEF kills old ladies and little babies. We have neither here at my house, so, no worries.

#13 ·
That's awsome regarding the Cruze! Honestly, I'm amazed auto manufacturers can get away with putting a component on a vehicle without which the engine won't run, and not include that component in the power train warranty. $3,000 to replace a silly DEF tank is nonsense. I'm sure the old ladies, little babies, and snowflakes will manage with a bit more NoX from a few non-affluent diesel owners.

#14 ·
Not going to start crying about the little smoke our trucks create ,
have a look at the documentary on big ocean liners , the kind that carry containers , shocked to see it can burn any kind of sludge
no need for clean fuel , " 1 " of those ships pollutes more than 3 million cars , 3 million , "" would be too complicated to reglement they say
thousands of those ships around the planet .
yet it is the little guy who has to keep his stuff non-polluting .
give me a break.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.