RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my ECM from GDE yesterday and installed it last night. Install was easy and then I ran it up the highway into the mountains to complete the regen. I then parked it in the garage and changed my oil & filter. My truck has about 6,700 miles. This morning I drove 75 miles down to Colorado Springs and helped my sister-in-law move. After I moved her I drove home. BTW - my truck currently has B20 in it.

I just wanted to report that on the way down to Colorado Springs, my air conditioning wouldn't work. The lights were on indicating the AC was powered on but the air would never get cold. I was pissed! Once I got all the way there and parked, it started to work. This has never happened before and the only thing that really changed (other than the motor oil) is the ECM swap. Anyways, it's working now. Let's hope it stays that way.

I am happy to report that the performance is really good and the EVIC states that I did 30.7 mpg for the 150 mile round trip (including moving 2 loads of furniture). I am looking forward to hand calculating my mileage when I can.

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
Well I guess you can call GDE and ask, but my guess is the engine ECM has nothing to do with the A/C. Let us know if you find out differently.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually the exact same thing happened to me when I installed the GDE ecu and the vehicle was doing it's initial regen. As soon as the regen ended, the AC began blowing cold again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting but mine did the complete regen cycle the day before and I still drove it a good 15 miles after the regen ended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed mine last weekend and all seemed fine. It then sat a couple days, went to start it and found the battery was completely dead. Not sure what to think, this has never happened before and it happened right after I installed the GDE ECM. After a bunch of jacking around with it, changing back to the stock ECM and charging it overnight I ended up getting it towed to Chrysler. They charged it with their charger and got it going just fine. I'm not sure why my charger wouldn't bring it back to life. I have drove it everyday the last week and have had no problems.

What makes me suspicious about this all is when the engine was off my shifter lights and the dash LCD screen would cycle on and off every 20 seconds or so and I think that's what took the battery down. This happened after the GDE install. With the stock ECM it is not cycling. I'm thinking about swapping back to the GDE and trying again but I really don't have the time to go through that all again right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds terrible. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm hoping that GDE responds about these issues. I got a private message from someone who said they had the same experience I did with the AC a day after doing the regen.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i'll make sure to check this tomorrow.

what's interesting on the comment about lights flashing. yesterday, (before GDE stuff so this had NOTHING to do with GDE), i was replacing the front dash 3.5" speakers. 3-4 times the EVIC flashed the "press brake + start" message. the truck keys where nowhere near the truck, obviously nothing was powered on as i was messing with the speakers. i don't quite know what to make of it, could have been happening since i brought the truck home, i have no idea. but it was certainly odd. i've also heard what sounds like the motors for the seats active, even though again, truck not on, and the seats weren't moving. but it was absolutely the sound you would hear when adjusting them - both the driver & passenger seats.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had to get a replacement ecm due to the oil life gauge not working, right after the swap my ac didn't work on my first try. Turned it off then back on about 10 minutes later with ice cold ac. Didn't really know what to thino must have just had to initialize all the systems..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Following

·
Registered
100 Posts
Considering this is summer time in AZ the ac issue would be a HUGE problem for me. I will have to address this with GDE before I order on monday.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Given ecoman's post, this would not seem to be directly related to GDE, but rather to ECM replacement in general. As for the lights flashing on the dash. I've seen some strange things happen on modern vehicles when messing with ANYTHING in the system with the batter still connected.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had no issues with AC after the swap.

Only thing I found odd was the new ECM was at 92% instead of 80% for soot when I hooked it up. No big issue as I was already expecting to have to immediately get on the freeway and do the regen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In other threads I've read that the ECM shuts off the AC when the coolant temperature reaches a certain point. Based on that, it seems obvious that the ECM does have the ability to turn off the AC.

It hasn't happened again since yesterday on my truck. I'h hoping this is just part of the ECM making adjustments. Maybe GDE can provide us with some education.

·
Vendor
1,150 Posts
Not sure on this at the moment, we do not make any changes to the AC operation and the HVAC system is separate from the engine ecm. We are using new ecms from Mopar and they all need a few hours work to set up for vehicle operation.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Not sure on this at the moment, we do not make any changes to the AC operation and the HVAC system is separate from the engine ecm. We are using new ecms from Mopar and they all need a few hours work to set up for vehicle operation.
Wasn't there an issue with some A/C compressor switches staying on & running batteries down? It happened to MotorTrend's ED while they did their long term test.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have noticed on some late model cars that sometimes after you disconnect the battery, all kinds of strange things happen. I have been greeted with ABS lights blazing, incorrect mileage (thanks Saturn, customer wasn't happy with their 670,000 mile Saturn after a battery install), engines that won't idle, transmissions that won't shift, radio's that won't work!!! I could go on but you all get the point! Sometimes shit happens when you unhook a battery on a late model vehicle. So far, there has been one instance of something not working right after an ECM swap and it seems as if everyone is losing their shit over it!!!
Like GDE states, HVAC is not controlled by the ECM, so most likely the glitch was caused by unhooking the battery, which I am assuming the OP did!!!

Just my opinion....

Mike

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have noticed on some late model cars that sometimes after you disconnect the battery, all kinds of strange things happen. I have been greeted with ABS lights blazing, incorrect mileage (thanks Saturn, customer wasn't happy with their 670,000 mile Saturn after a battery install), engines that won't idle, transmissions that won't shift, radio's that won't work!!! I could go on but you all get the point! Sometimes shit happens when you unhook a battery on a late model vehicle. So far, there has been one instance of something not working right after an ECM swap and it seems as if everyone is losing their shit over it!!!
Like GDE states, HVAC is not controlled by the ECM, so most likely the glitch was caused by unhooking the battery, which I am assuming the OP did!!!

Just my opinion....

Mike
I'm not taking sides here, just reading very interesting information, as I may decide to do some tuning at a later date. My question is, wouldn't unhooking the battery prior to changing an ECM (or any electrical part) be standard operating procedure?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow someone got their butt hurt by my post.

I'm not critical of the GDE tune - just sharing my experience. Actually I love the way the truck run's now and the AC thing only happened the one time. I'll be keeping the ECM.

I'm not the only person who lost the AC. One other person indicated it happened to them on this thread and I had another PM from someone who thanked me for bringing it up because it happened to him twice.

Try not to get your panties in a twist.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts