RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2015 in February 2013 with 27k miles on it. It is Stock. I am on my second set of Wrangler SRA's.

I changed oil every 10k miles and fuel filter every 20k miles.

Last week the AEM was done on my truck at 105k miles. My yearly miles driven are about 36,000.

I drive with the mpg gauge showing. I pay attention to how my truck runs. I average 26-27 mpg by hand calculation. My commute is 95% newly paved interstate. Most days I set my cruise control at 70 and rarely have to change it until exiting the interstate.

Increased MPG is the greatest criteria for me to get a tune.

Thursday I installed the GDE ECU. The instructions are very good and I watched a youtube someone did installing the ECU.

Friday I started family vacation from Shreveport to Chicago.

Observations:

1. The increased power is noticeable to me.

2. First tank was 31.9 mpg.

3. Second tank was 30.6. This included some city driving.

I know there are many variables and those numbers may not be duplicated.

I recommend the GDE tune.

·
Registered
257 Posts
"I purchased my 2015 in February 2013 with 27k miles on it."

What?? I'm confused. You bought a 2015 model year EcoDiesel back in February 2013? Was time traveling involved?

Welcome to the forum, BTW my questions are not meant to be taken as mean-spirited. But can you clarify a little bit? I'm assuming there's a typo in there somewhere and having accurate info to go along with your review would be beneficial to others. I'm glad you like the GDE tune and thanks for sharing your MPG experience.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"I purchased my 2015 in February 2013 with 27k miles on it."

What?? I'm confused. You bought a 2015 model year EcoDiesel back in February 2013? Was time traveling involved?

Welcome to the forum, BTW my questions are not meant to be taken as mean-spirited. But can you clarify a little bit? I'm assuming there's a typo in there somewhere and having accurate info to go along with your review would be beneficial to others. I'm glad you like the GDE tune and thanks for sharing your MPG experience.
I am also watching this post for even this trivial editorial correction because as we all know, grammar and spelling errors alone are one of the red flags for scams. I must also add, I am skeptical when people claim 20% plus fuel economy gains with one simple add on aftermarket part. As if FCA couldn’t figure that out with their best engineering minds in the very competitive pickup truck market. Now what did I do with those carburetor magnets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am also watching this post for even this trivial editorial correction because as we all know, grammar and spelling errors alone are one of the red flags for scams. I must also add, I am skeptical when people claim 20% plus fuel economy gains with one simple add on aftermarket part. As if FCA couldn’t figure that out with their best engineering minds in the very competitive pickup truck market. Now what did I do with those carburetor magnets?

It works. It's not like the old magnet trick. Try it, you will like it and your engine will thank you.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Come on now, even I am not that bad. It's obviously a typo since the 3D didn't even come out until 2014. I'll admit that it did stunt my reading momentarily, but logic kicked in and I managed to get past it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Come on now, even I am not that bad. It's obviously a typo since the 3D didn't even come out until 2014. I'll admit that it did stunt my reading momentarily, but logic kicked in and I managed to get past it.
I read through it, caught the typo and kept reading. My replies' 1st intent was to, in a friendly joking way, bring to the attention of this new member the incomplete/inaccurate info. My 2nd intent is to determine whether this is another BS troll post (1st ever post). The GDE tune is proven to be a MPG booster and the OP's claim isn't too outlandish comparing it with other members reviews.

Couple of scenarios I played out in my head:
1. Post is from a troll who intended to say they had a 2013 ED purchased used in 2015, not knowing the EDs were not available in 2013. An attempt to gain credibility with a positive review of GDE tune getting xx MPG, then a few weeks/posts later we start seeing how they suddenly decided to try out this new SFT tune they heard about that was way easier to install than swapping an ECU and are now get xx MPG.​
2. This is a genuine person who has joined our forum with the intent to provide welcome information about their experience and legitimately made a typo. They acknowledge the error, provide a valid response.​

Could have gone either way. I'd still like to know what year his truck is.

Like I said before Bryan$$, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Welcome to the forums Brian$$. Sounds about right to me. My SRA's on front will easily go 55,000 miles, let a friend attempt a burnout, so rears only went 40,000 mi. My truck could do over 30 mpg before the GDE tune, now averaging 32-33 mpg. Seemed to be worth about 2+ mpg to me. Mustang Dyno verified the torque and hp increases.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I need to quit reading this forum. I keep telling myself I'm not going to get the tune and play it safe with my warranty.

Then I read how it likely won't hurt my warranty and will only make my engine last longer. I just crossed 10k miles and have had the tune in my shopping cart twice before. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I need to quit reading this forum. I keep telling myself I'm not going to get the tune and play it safe with my warranty.

Then I read how it likely won't hurt my warranty and will only make my engine last longer. I just crossed 10k miles and have had the tune in my shopping cart twice before. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
You’re right to be skeptical! I have a stock ‘15 ED with 100K miles since purchased new. Majority miles freeway with one person and I’m looking at 23.5 Average MPG right now (no AEM update). These guys are talking +10 MPG.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You’re right to be skeptical! I have a stock ‘15 ED with 100K miles since purchased new. Majority miles freeway with one person and I’m looking at 23.5 Average MPG right now (no AEM update). These guys are talking +10 MPG.
Every truck is different. They're not claiming they saw a 10mpg improvement nor are they claiming you'll see a 10mpg improvement. It's been the consensus of this forum that gains of 1-3mpg are more realistic. For me, the other benefits of the tune far outweigh the increased mileage. I've been tuned since 457mi and approaching 80k now.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I am skeptical when people claim 20% plus fuel economy gains with one simple add on aftermarket part. As if FCA couldn’t figure that out with their best engineering minds in the very competitive pickup truck market.
This is an illogical argument. FCA has many constraints placed on them by the EPA, and FCA has chosen to use pilot injection to make the engine less diesel-like. Both contribute to the engine being inefficient and high soot loads. This is why tuning allows very efficient results. There is a lot of room to improve despite FCA's "best engineering minds" lol.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Welcome - First post!

Good to read that after such high mileage adding GDE was an additional positive. You also "shook up" a few readers and motivated more. Good job.

Hope all continues to be positive.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Have you ever done any service work on your Map sensor? What kind of speeds do you travel? Both play a major roll in what kind of economy you will get. Also what gearing do you have and what tires are you running?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you ever done any service work on your Map sensor? What kind of speeds do you travel? Both play a major roll in what kind of economy you will get. Also what gearing do you have and what tires are you running?
No service, you mean cleaning that sensor?

70 mph +\- 10 usually with cruise control set. Mostly 65 to 75, not 80.

8-speed auto trans and I never inhibit shifting up except to use Tow/Haul very infrequently with a travel trailer.

Michelin Defender LTX on OEM rims. Just my second set of tires now overdue for replacement but obviously pretty good life on original tires and these. (planning to go to Toyo Open Country tires).

My fuel economy consistently between 23 and 26 MPG. ODO just went over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I lived in South Dakota I never saw better than 27mpg highway/interstate with my '17 and GDE tune. Since I moved to Ohio in January I consistently see 30+ mpg on trips. I went to Kentucky a few weeks ago. 300 mile trip with mostly interstate miles. I averaged 30.4mpg for the trip. Location can make a difference.

The GDE is just awesome all around. The few mpg increase to me is icing on the cake. Even if it didn't improve the mileage I would still get it.

*Elimination of throttle lag
*Modest but noticeable power increase
*EGR system off
*High idle option(Very nice in colder weather)
*Engine Brake option

All make it totally worth it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts