RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Tuned at 92,000 miles. Before tune best I got 25.2. After tune best is 29.9. Not towing, just driving down the highway.

Why did I get the tune? Truck started throwing continuous codes and FCA could not figure it out. $9200 in parts. Still would not run so only fix was GDE tune. Have 2500 miles or so on it since and it has been running great. Dealer paid for tune so it was a great deal for me!

Pre tune...
Crappy throttle response.
Continuous error codes.
Truck would only go into limp mode.
2.5 months of downtime

After tune...
Can actually drive the truck.
Better mileage by far, but I don't care about that so much. I do care if the truck runs however.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It s nearly impossible to factor in all the variables I see when it comes to high or low mpg claims. Some want to blame heavier tires or a heavy foot. bottom line is theres too many variables to calculate

One thing I have noticed tune or no tune after reading this site for several years I do see some consistently higher mpg claims coming from the southern part of the country being texas and to the east. there much more open highways a little different climate maybe

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just throwing this out there ... After some folks have mentioned not understanding how you can get 30+ MPG on a non-tuned truck. Today, I checked my round trip to work and back, about 50 miles. After a 3-4 minute idle warm-up this morning, I reset Trip B. 1 minute warm up at work. Shut the truck off as I pulled up to the house and took the picture. 4 miles of 25-35 mph, 8 miles of 55 mph, and 36 miles of I-75 at 65 mph. I accelerate with traffic, however I do start slowing down before I have to stop at the 5 red lights I encounter. Cruise set for I-75, use my foot for 55 mph and lower speeds. 2018 Tradesman Crew 4x4 6.4 box 3.55
Rnd Trip to work.JPG

Wonder what it will get with a GDE?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Just throwing this out there ... After some folks have mentioned not understanding how you can get 30+ MPG on a non-tuned truck. Today, I checked my round trip to work and back, about 50 miles. After a 3-4 minute idle warm-up this morning, I reset Trip B. 1 minute warm up at work. Shut the truck off as I pulled up to the house and took the picture. 4 miles of 25-35 mph, 8 miles of 55 mph, and 36 miles of I-75 at 65 mph. I accelerate with traffic, however I do start slowing down before I have to stop at the 5 red lights I encounter. Cruise set for I-75, use my foot for 55 mph and lower speeds. 2018 Tradesman Crew 4x4 6.4 box 3.55

View attachment 75818

Was trip B reset at a stand-still?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

View attachment 75818

That’s impressive! Do you think the warmup helps or hurts mileage? I know you reset after the warmup. I generally just take off right away after startup unless it’s below freezing. I figure I might as well be driving while the truck warms up. I can definitely tell a difference in mpg when it is warm though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
This is from a trip today, numbers are from the EVIC that is with in 0.5 of hand calculations.
56.5 miles, average MPG 28.1, average MPH 71, elapsed time 47.40 on the Ohio Turnpike
78.9 miles, average MPG 28.0, average MPH 64, elapsed time 1:14:02 country roads to lake.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
This is from a trip today, numbers are from the EVIC that is with in 0.5 of hand calculations.
56.5 miles, average MPG 28.1, average MPH 71, elapsed time 47.40 on the Ohio Turnpike
78.9 miles, average MPG 28.0, average MPH 64, elapsed time 1:14:02 country roads to lake.
I've never seen avg speed that high on the EVIC unless the trip meter is reset at speed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've never seen avg speed that high on the EVIC unless the trip meter is reset at speed.
Agreed. I reset trip B at every fill up, and avg speed seems to typically be 30-35 MPH

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My hand calculated fuelly was 2-2.5 better between 50k - 134k with OEM Michelin's...removed SRAs after first 4k of ownership and sold to my brother. MS2s were no different vs SRAs. GDE at 50k was when gained occurred.

305/55/20E AT3W at 134k...yes 2mpg hit all can be seen on fuelly...338 fill ups now...

I do believe 30mpg is possible under the right conditions...4x2/4x4 non leveled...long stretches 60-65 on back roads with little wind drag. My leveled 4x4 drops dramatically on interstate runs over 70mph especially when out in the open...if I tucked in behind a fast truck or suv 75-80mph they break enough head wind to help with the mpg but not enough to see 30 with my current set up.

Also agree trucks in the South...especially here in Florida and/or Texas...Arizona will get better overall based simply on altitude, flat roads, less winter diesel, engine hotter faster, and tall tree lined interstates blocking wind vs what I have seen out west with wind breaks built along side of the interstates.

My hand calculated average of 26.4mpg over the first 163,000 miles is an aberration for most drivers...75% hwy, flat Florida, less than 5% towing... Also will add my 6,000lb ED truck is significantly more efficient than Her 2013 Buick Enclave, former company car Chrysler Mini Van, and the majority of my neighbors sedans. Currently unaware of any 'mini van' that could match my MPGs for the first 163,000 and still look new AND drive BETTER than the day of initial new purchase.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That’s impressive! Do you think the warmup helps or hurts mileage? I know you reset after the warmup. I generally just take off right away after startup unless it’s below freezing. I figure I might as well be driving while the truck warms up. I can definitely tell a difference in mpg when it is warm though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I "think", as it pertains to MPG, a short warm up of 30-45 seconds is probably the best and just drive it easy for the first few miles. However, if I was going to pull my trailer, I would let it idle for 5 minutes on a cold start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. Miles on your truck before GDE tune installed. 34000
2. Miles on your truck since GDE tune installed. 5000
3. Improvement in MPG since GDE tune installed (this can be calculated or educated guess). If calculated, what was your before and after MPG? Improvement has only been 2-3 MPG average per tank
4. Yes/No, have you used Fuelly or some other method to track MPG before and after the tune? Yes
5. If yes, how many pre and post GDE fuel ups have you had? pre - 40 post - 11

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. Near 18,000 miles
2. 7,500 more miles
3. I log all my fill-ups. Not had tune through a winter yet so I’ll do Spring-Summer estimates
-Commute (2/3 highway, 1/3 30-45 mph city w/some lights): Stock: 28. GDE. 30-31
-All highway (cruise on except steep hills): Stock 29. GDE: 31-32
-Towing (4500 lb, 25ft Travel trailer; 58 mph on cruise except steep hills): Stock: 13-13.5 (2 trips). GDE: 16 (3 trips)
4. Manual log book only
5. ??

The driveability improvement (less lag, ease of acceleration, noticeable torque available at low rpm (it’s got it at 1250 rpm!) and way less often dropping out of 8th on the interstate. Towing my TT, the EcoD doesn’t get as hot pulling up steep hills as with the stock tune. Improvement in towing power / eco was what I invested in the tune for, and all of the improvement during normal driving was the icing on the cake. I don’t mind not coking up my intake runners any more either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
1. Miles on your truck before GDE tune installed. 34000
2. Miles on your truck since GDE tune installed. 5000
3. Improvement in MPG since GDE tune installed (this can be calculated or educated guess). If calculated, what was your before and after MPG? Improvement has only been 2-3 MPG average per tank
4. Yes/No, have you used Fuelly or some other method to track MPG before and after the tune? Yes
5. If yes, how many pre and post GDE fuel ups have you had? pre - 40 post - 11
Thanks guido, do you have a link to your Fuelly that I can use?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Reset the trip meter at speed to read the highway mileage only. As noted "on the Ohio Turnpike" but it was not reset when I got off as the whole trip is country roads speed limit 55 with two three mile 30 MPH stretches in Camden and Reading Mich.. I ran 60 MPH except in the those two little towns. My city mileage is anything from 17 to 20 and combined is anything from 19 to 24 according to how fast I drive. Coming home I was running 82 MPH (well until the OSHP stopped me and gave me a warning to slow down) then 77 MPH and my mileage dropped to 23 MPG.

I reset my meter at each fill up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Something that isn't brought up enough... I'd be really Leary about getting a tune like this while still under warranty.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Something that isn't brought up enough... I'd be really Leary about getting a tune like this while still under warranty.
Like 97hmcs said, it has been discussed at length. It, quite frankly boils down to your dealer. My dealer knows I have it and is 100% fine with it even with my extended warranty. Other dealerships don't want to have anything to do with it. It all depends on how well you know your dealer and how big of a prick your dealer wants to be.

There are a lot of people on here that wear tin foil hats, and if that is what keeps them safe, that is ok too.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It doesn't even boil down to the dealer as they can not tell if your truck has a GDE tune our not. If you send your ECM in for them to tune it the serial number will be the same and usually this will keep FCA from looking any further. If the numbers do not match then FCA most likely will have the dealer download the ECM program and have them sent it to FCA/Ram for a look see. But this would only happen if you if you have an engine or transmission failure and then it is not a guarantee to happen.

If your dealer is not mod friendly just keep your mouth shut. Also if you tell the dealer you do not want your truck flashed you might raise their suspicion that there is a tune on your vehicle. The less they know the better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't seen anything to convince me that given a catastrophic event (engine/trans failure costing $10+k in repairs) that Chrysler wouldn't check the ecu for the software version leading them to find the tune. It seems like a simple check that would take 5 minutes.

Regarding trust in your dealer - If your truck dies half way across the country, will it be towed back to your dealer?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts