RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought and had a GDE tuned PCM transferred to my name and asked that GDE add the oil pressure kit as part of my purchase.
Unfortunately, GDE forgot to add the oil pressure kit and the corresponding tuning to my PCM, so I’m left with two options.

1) remove the GDE tuned PCM and send it back to GDE and have the tuning added and the PCM and kit sent back to me.
2) or just have my money for the kit refunded and live with the stock oil pressure gauge.

Any feedback on the oil pressure kit?
Any recommendations on getting the kit installed?

So far I’m very happy with the GDE tune. I previously drove a Cummins 5.9 with a Smarty tune. It transformed that truck and this program seems to have transformed my eco diesel.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It is nice to know the real oil pressure, but not a necessity. Your choice.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I have their oil pressure kit and I like knowing the mechanical pressure, not the result of a computer generated algorithm. Personal preference.

Did you keep your stock ecm?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That’s kind of what I had figured reading through a lot of the discussions on here.
Since I’ve already paid for it I might as well just have the program installed.

And yes, I did keep my stock PCM.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You guys that have it, how far off did you find the computer generated pressure to be compared to your new pressure?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
And yes, I did keep my stock PCM.
One problem with having the GDE oil pressure kit is if you ever reinstall the stock ECM you'll get a trouble code from having switched up the sensor wiring. I've been tuned since 457mi and have never needed the stock ECM so it's a non-issue for me.

I have no idea how close the actual oil pressure is to the stock algorithm, but I do know someone who ran a mechanical pressure gauge with the stock gauge operational and it was pretty much dead-on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bounty Hunter - So are you saying the stock factory gauge is actually pretty accurate? I was thinking I would go back to the stock ECM if I have any warranty issues. Maybe to better to stay with the stock gauge.

DrivingZiggy - I thought about that, but they didn’t offer it as an option. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks again for the feedback! Keep it coming.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I've been told the factory gauge is pretty accurate.

If you switch back the stock ECM you would likely get a trouble code unless you reverse the oil pressure kit install.

I get warranty work done with the GDE tune installed, never an issue, and don't expect one.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,346 Posts
I bought and had a GDE tuned PCM transferred to my name and asked that GDE add the oil pressure kit as part of my purchase.
Unfortunately, GDE forgot to add the oil pressure kit and the corresponding tuning to my PCM, so I’m left with two options.

1) remove the GDE tuned PCM and send it back to GDE and have the tuning added and the PCM and kit sent back to me.
2) or just have my money for the kit refunded and live with the stock oil pressure gauge.

So far I’m very happy with the GDE tune. I previously drove a Cummins 5.9 with a Smarty tune. It transformed that truck and this program seems to have transformed my eco diesel.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I did not get the oil pressure upgrade with my GDE tune. I do have waiting to install is a separate LED oil pressure gauge and a pillar mount. I have a fitting to pick up at the post office as to be able to mount the oil pressure unit isolated from the engine with a piece of 1/8 in npt braided line, mounted on the truck frame. The new sending unit is rather heavy, wouldn't want it snapping off trying to tee it off the oil filter housing!

I'll do a new thread on this procedure when I get to it.

sourdo

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have been tuned since 26k, now at 67k. Sent the ECM back to GDE to get their updated tune and to get the engine brake and oil pressure kit add on. Never liked the factory readout, to me its a fancy expensive idiot light. IF all motor functions are running correctly the readout is accurate but slow to respond, IE works like an idiot light, tells you after something has gone wrong and after you have figured it out yourself. Like the wife telling me "you just screwed up", thanks appreciate the timely info. As I have stated the oil pressure readout is more sensitive to oil pressure change find it fluctuates up and down quickly and as little as 1 pound with any slight change in engine RPM and\or load. In my world worth the up charge plus.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Bounty Hunter - So are you saying the stock factory gauge is actually pretty accurate? I was thinking I would go back to the stock ECM if I have any warranty issues. Maybe to better to stay with the stock gauge.
It is accurate as long as there is nothing wrong. Something could be causing your oil pressure to be off, and the computer doesn't know that. All it knows, you have some oil pressure and at this temp and RPM, it will display what it thinks the oil pressure should be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the additional feedback. I’m still on the fence as I think I could return the oil pressure sensor back to stock if I switch out the PCM to take the truck in for service.
I just returned from a week long fishing trip with a fully loaded cab and camper and the truck did great. I haven’t run the numbers yet, but I know I had at least a 2 mpg improvement after running around in the Cascades carrying my FWC Hawk and close to 400 lbs of additional gear.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The cheapest real oil pressure gauge would be a mechanical one, just tee off of the oil pressure switch and run a good steel braded hose and for around $50 you will have a real Oil Pressure Gauge.
My observations are when engine is cold the real oil pressure can be up to 25Psi more than the what the Evic says, when engine is warm the real one is like 2-3 less than the Evic. The differences also depend on the RPM a lot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The cheapest real oil pressure gauge would be a mechanical one, just tee off of the oil pressure switch and run a good steel braded hose and for around $50 you will have a real Oil Pressure Gauge.
My observations are when engine is cold the real oil pressure can be up to 25Psi more than the what the Evic says, when engine is warm the real one is like 2-3 less than the Evic. The differences also depend on the RPM a lot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
One issue with that is making sure to get the correct metric fittings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Before the tune I think I had a read out of 120kpa maybe 124 when warm ànd idling. Now with the new kit it's 134. Also it's for preventative maintenance as the values are more accurate and if something did go wrong it should alert you faster opposed to the algorithm. And you will need a short wrench as I mitre sawed one to get the job done. Curious what other people's numbers are and if anyone uses the edge for monitoring?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Curious what other people's numbers are and if anyone uses the edge for monitoring?
I’m still on the hunt for a spot to hook up a pressure transducer so that I can hook it up to my edge cts2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,346 Posts
Here is a fitting that will be of great benefit for any oil gauge project. It's an extension from the oil port, a 10mmX1 male on one end, 10mmx1 female on the other, with an 1/8 inch port on the side where I'll run a short braided hose to the sending unit. My other option was to retap a three way fitting. I found it on Amazon of all places.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DH8TLPN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sourdo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts