RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new ED owner (about 800 mile on it) and I love this truck so far. So after a TON of research, I decided to pull the trigger on a GDE ECM yesterday. I was never in the market for a tune, but my opinion changed after studying the results here and elsewhere as well as researching GDE. I really couldn't find anyone that had a negative thing to say about GDE and I dug deep. I plan to keep this truck a long time and when I weigh things out, I feel like the GDE route is a better bet than the stock configuration for longevity (as well as efficiency/mild power improvement). I got 4 free oil changes at the dealership included with my purchase....after that I'm doing it all myself. After the GDE ECM install this weekend, I plan to put "Do not Flash" note on the CTS 2 cable to the OBD-II port when I have take it in for the oil change service and add a zip tie to the connector just to be sure.

When I ordered the GDE unit I opted to keep my stock ECM in the event (/when) I need some warranty work done. Before I install the new GDE ECM, I'll make sure my soot level on the stocker is around 60% so in the event that I have to switch back, a regen will follow shortly and alleviate any possible DPF issues.

Many of my questions have been answered in previous posts, but I still would like your help to understand the following a little better. While I'm technically inclined, there are a few things I'm not so clear on:

1) Say, for example, down the road I throw a code with the GDE ECM installed. Lets say its the p20ee code and I need new cats like some of you with the stock ECMs have experienced. My thought would be to swap the GDE unit for the stock ECM, then take it in to the dealership. I'm assuming after I reinstall the stock ECM, the code show back up and I can take it in? I don't plan on playing "Musical ECM's" (great way to phrase it Schwoch1!) every time I take it in for service but I want to know how this will work if I throw a code.

2) I'm also, assuming this is the best course of action to alleviate any possible headaches at the dealership?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me on this scenario - I'd rather be somewhat prepared now with a plan of action in case something happens in the future. Have a great weekend folks!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I've had to do a swap out and the code in my case stayed with the ECM so when I put the stock one in it had no code . So that being said if you get a code and don't want dealer to take a chance to figure it out or mess it up with a re flash just swap it with the factory then drive it and let the code appear on factory's unit then bring to dealer have it fixed then swap it back with the GDE tune , it couldn't be any easier to swap it out IMOP I hope my answer helps you with your choice on how to handle any problems that may or may not accure . Best wishes !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Haul N Grass - that is what I needed to know!

·
Administrator
8,578 Posts
Before I install the new GDE ECM, I'll make sure my soot level on the stocker is around 60% so in the event that I have to switch back, a regen will follow shortly and alleviate any possible DPF issues.
While it can't hurt to remove the stock ECM at a higher soot level, I am told it's not necessary because the ECU has two soot models that run in parallel: one based on physical flow resistance, and the other simulated based on your driving conditions. If you put in the stock ECU and there is really soot in it, then the physical model will trigger the regen.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like a good plan of attack to me. Same thing I'm thinking.

Something to be aware of; I believe the connector pins on the ECU are only rated (certified?) to be removed and installed 10 times. I highly doubt you will ever need to pull it that many times but always remember to be careful when removing/reinstalling.

One other thing. You might go to dealer (oil change or otherwise) and have them upload latest software patches etc. I had latest updated (tranny and something else) done in April. When I was up there yesterday they uploaded something else (I was really running late so didn't pay attention). This way at least there records indicate latest and greatest software patches.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Perhaps these are dumb questions but I wouldn't ask if I already knew.
1) how does one determine they are at or near the 60% soot number?
2) if the dealer flashes updates to the stock ECM, how would one get the updates over to the GDE ECM? Am I missing something here?

·
Administrator
8,578 Posts
Perhaps these are dumb questions but I wouldn't ask if I already knew.
1) how does one determine they are at or near the 60% soot number?
2) if the dealer flashes updates to the stock ECM, how would one get the updates over to the GDE ECM? Am I missing something here?
1. Requires aftermarket gauge.
2. You're not missing anything since the dealer flash would overwrite the GDE tune.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
1. Requires aftermarket gauge.
2. You're not missing anything since the dealer flash would overwrite the GDE tune.
My scanguage doesn't have a soot % that I'm aware of. To clarify #2, if one had two ECM's, the stock & the GDE, how would one update both or is that necessary to update both?

·
Super Moderator
2,542 Posts
I believe most if not all of these so called factory software updates are addressing issues related to the factory tune. There may have been one associated with the trans. Since the GDE tune has already taken the stock tune and modified it, there are no worries about having the latest and greatest factory tune. Those that have the GDE tune are probably years into the future of factory software updates related to engine tune. I guess GDE can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That is my train of thought also, but I want to be sure & not assume I'm right. Thanks.

·
Banned
627 Posts
Hershey I told you to send your guage in to linear logic and they would update it with my version. he most likely forgot by now, but your missing out

·
Registered
502 Posts
From what I understand...... the GDE tune takes care of the, nuisance codes (EGR SCR, etc), as I call them. I could be wrong, but I believe that is in there. Also, if you toss a code with the GDE ECM, you will have to drive the truck until it tosses the same code after you swap back to your original ECM.

Just use the excuse that my old man uses when he brings his tuned Duramax in for warranty work. Tell them if they flash the ECM, he will cut their nuts off!!! He tells them he is happy with the mileage and reliability of the stock tune that is in there now and they had better not touch it! He lets them know he knows the current calibration part number and so far, he has had no trouble and no questions!!!

Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
I swapped the stock ECU in yesterday to take the truck in for a rear axle/driveshaft (can't remember exactly) recall. Soot level was at 46% when I put the stock unit in. 20 minute drive to the dealer and it was 57%. I removed the Edge monitor before I pulled the vehicle in and didn't have it on me when I picked it up. By the time I got home, and got under the hood to re-install the GDE ECU, it smelled like the truck may have started a regen while I was driving home from the dealer. Anyway, the Edge monitor tells me I'm at 46% soot level in the DPF. This is with the GDE ECU back in now. If the actual, physical percentage is higher, is there a chance I may clog my DPF?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not sure why you guys are swapping the ECM's unless you are worried about the dealer over writing the ECM. The dealer is not going to know you have a different ECM and they are not going to remove the airbox to look at the ECM. If they do an update it is done thru the port inside the truck. Now if you have a dick dealer and you tell them you do not want any re-flashes done without your permission they might start poking around maybe. But I would say something like please do not do any re-flashes to my took unless you ask me first, because I want to know why it is needed. Also why would you remove your Edge Monitor? It is not a tuner only a tool to monitor what the truck is doing. They can not void your warranty for using it and if they said they can, I would find a different dealer to take my truck to.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You have an edge? Do a manual regen to be safe.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I swapped the stock ECU in yesterday to take the truck in for a rear axle/driveshaft (can't remember exactly) recall. Soot level was at 46% when I put the stock unit in. 20 minute drive to the dealer and it was 57%. I removed the Edge monitor before I pulled the vehicle in and didn't have it on me when I picked it up. By the time I got home, and got under the hood to re-install the GDE ECU, it smelled like the truck may have started a regen while I was driving home from the dealer. Anyway, the Edge monitor tells me I'm at 46% soot level in the DPF. This is with the GDE ECU back in now. If the actual, physical percentage is higher, is there a chance I may clog my DPF?
Do a mobile regen with your edge , that should answer all questions on your dpf ?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Not sure why you guys are swapping the ECM's unless you are worried about the dealer over writing the ECM. The dealer is not going to know you have a different ECM and they are not going to remove the airbox to look at the ECM. If they do an update it is done thru the port inside the truck. Now if you have a dick dealer and you tell them you do not want any re-flashes done without your permission they might start poking around maybe. But I would say something like please do not do any re-flashes to my took unless you ask me first, because I want to know why it is needed. Also why would you remove your Edge Monitor? It is not a tuner only a tool to monitor what the truck is doing. They can not void your warranty for using it and if they said they can, I would find a different dealer to take my truck to.
Here in my area of TX, all the Ram dealers are dicks. I haven't found one yet that I would trust taking my truck to with a tune in place.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Man that sucks Hershey, that was the reason I took my truck up to GDE for the tune. My dealer is on board with it, but if something happens out of town I would just let them flash the truck than pay the $50 to have the tune put back. Looking at getting a throttle booster but first I want to talk to Kith up at GDE to see if there is something they can do. The only issue I can see is the throttle booster may do some hare to the converter, trans and other drive-line components.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Man that sucks Hershey, that was the reason I took my truck up to GDE for the tune. My dealer is on board with it, but if something happens out of town I would just let them flash the truck than pay the $50 to have the tune put back. Looking at getting a throttle booster but first I want to talk to Kith up at GDE to see if there is something they can do. The only issue I can see is the throttle booster may do some hare to the converter, trans and other drive-line components.
I've never heard the term "throttle booster" - what is it & how does it work?

·
Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
"throttle booster" - what is it & how does it work?
Being that all vehicles nowadays use electronic throttles, which utilize varying resistors based on position. A "throttle booster" fools the cars computer into thinking you've pushed the throttle down further than what you actually have. "Takes up" the proverbial slack in the electronic signal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts