RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock 2015 transmission tune, when I bought the truck, was awesome. It was very intuitive to my driving habits. I never took my truck in for stuff until about a year later for unrelated warranty work, and they flashed a TCM file. Ever since then, it bugs me. The lugging 2nd gear from a stop instead of downshifting to 1st is DUMB, but when it does downshift into 1st it feels like you got bumped by the car behind you. There are quite a few other scenarios where I feel the 2016 TCM update ruined the truck for me, compared to the original 2015 flash.

So, I've wanted for a while to get GDE transmission tune. Yes, I know there is another transmission tuner out there that is still selling stuff, but I haven't yet wanted to try theirs. Mainly because one of the features in the GDE transmission tune ("GearCommand" as they call it, true shifting with the +/- buttons instead of just locking out high gears) is not mentioned on the other tuner's site.

Why a transmission tune is regulated by CARB/EPA is beyond me. They haven't sold transmission tunes to CA for quite a while now. I guess they are so confused by California's laws and threats that they decided it was better to have nothing to do with it. Can't blame them. It is what it is.

I have seen multiple GDE transmission tuners pop up used. Do these still require their intervention to "transfer" from one truck to another? Or are these like the "box tune" companies, whereas if the previous owner sets their truck back to stock, the tuner is reusable on another truck? Or is it still somehow VIN-specific?

·
Registered
686 Posts
"GearCommand" as they call it, true shifting with the +/- buttons instead of just locking out high gears) is not mentioned on the other tuner's site
If you look at the SFT website FAQs it is mentioned.

The rest of your confusing comments and questions tell me you need to do a lot more research.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe the GDE trans tune is VIN specific, so if others are trying to sell them used there will be some disappointed buyers out there. And I think it's specific to the tuner GDE uses which ties itself to the VIN the first time it's used and can't be changed, even by GDE

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look at the SFT website FAQs it is mentioned.

The rest of your confusing comments and questions tell me you need to do a lot more research.
Thanks, I know I have to. Haven't yet picked up a phone to contact them but om sure it would clear up some stuff. I have always been more interested in GDE's but it depends what I can even do anymore with the market changes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks, I know I have to. Haven't yet picked up a phone to contact them but om sure it would clear up some stuff. I have always been more interested in GDE's but it depends what I can even do anymore with the market changes.

GDE was not an option in California if you live there. At this time they are not doing business in USA. I don’t know what the future holds for them but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GDE was not an option in California if you live there. At this time they are not doing business in USA. I don’t know what the future holds for them but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here's the thing. Why the trans tune though? Beyond ridiculous. But it is eco-fascists we're talking about.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yes, give SFT a call or email. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I just returned from an 1800+ mile trip, San Diego to LaPine Oregon, all freeway and highway, 65-75 mph all the way (except through LA basin). Very pleased with both their ECM &TCM Rally tunes.

You asked about controlling gears. Through the LA stop and go I started a regen. I kept changing gears to keep the RPMs up. Just kept a finger on the + or - and went up and down the scale for 12-14 miles until regen was done. And also found that their Turbo brake worked great.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
You asked about controlling gears. Through the LA stop and go I started a regen. I kept changing gears to keep the RPMs up. Just kept a finger on the + or - and went up and down the scale for 12-14 miles until regen was done.
My GDE tune does this for me, keeps RPM above 2k any time there's an active regen. Maybe those interested in this feature can request it from SKT or whichever tune they go with.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My GDE tune does this for me, keeps RPM above 2k any time there's an active regen. Maybe those interested in this feature can request it from SKT or whichever tune they go with.
Interesting Bounty. That would be slick. My GDE tune never did that. Maybe they added that feature after I had mine. Are you saying that your tune automatically changes gears to keep the RPMs up or ?? In stop and go traffic how does that do that when stopped?

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
GDE will increase the RPM's if you have both the engine and trans tune. Not while stopped, but as long as you are moving it will select a low enough gear to maintain the higher RPM's.

·
Registered
686 Posts
GDE will increase the RPM's if you have both the engine and trans tune. Not while stopped, but as long as you are moving it will select a low enough gear to maintain the higher RPM's.
That's outstanding

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Interesting Bounty. That would be slick. My GDE tune never did that. Maybe they added that feature after I had mine. Are you saying that your tune automatically changes gears to keep the RPMs up or ?? In stop and go traffic how does that do that when stopped?
Yep, holds a low enough gear to keep rpm up to 2k minimum during an active regen. It's a nice feature. I just slip it into neutral and hold 1500 rpm if I need to come to a stop during regen. Probably overkill but that's me lol.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just slip it into neutral and hold 1500 rpm if I need to come to a stop during regen. Probably overkill but that's me lol.
Ha, ha - glad to hear that I'm not the only one that does that

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
I just slip it into neutral and hold 1500 rpm if I need to come to a stop during regen. Probably overkill but that's me lol.
X2. I do the same thing. Not overkill because if you just let it idle the regen process will abort.

·
Banned
19 Posts
The stock 2015 transmission tune, when I bought the truck, was awesome. It was very intuitive to my driving habits. I never took my truck in for stuff until about a year later for unrelated warranty work, and they flashed a TCM file. Ever since then, it bugs me. The lugging 2nd gear from a stop instead of downshifting to 1st is DUMB, but when it does downshift into 1st it feels like you got bumped by the car behind you. There are quite a few other scenarios where I feel the 2016 TCM update ruined the truck for me, compared to the original 2015 flash.

So, I've wanted for a while to get GDE transmission tune. Yes, I know there is another transmission tuner out there that is still selling stuff, but I haven't yet wanted to try theirs. Mainly because one of the features in the GDE transmission tune ("GearCommand" as they call it, true shifting with the +/- buttons instead of just locking out high gears) is not mentioned on the other tuner's site.

Why a transmission tune is regulated by CARB/EPA is beyond me. They haven't sold transmission tunes to CA for quite a while now. I guess they are so confused by California's laws and threats that they decided it was better to have nothing to do with it. Can't blame them. It is what it is.

I have seen multiple GDE transmission tuners pop up used. Do these still require their intervention to "transfer" from one truck to another? Or are these like the "box tune" companies, whereas if the previous owner sets their truck back to stock, the tuner is reusable on another truck? Or is it still somehow VIN-specific?
Used Trans tuners must be reset by Alientech. You'll need to contact them and the other "to be" tuner to see if it's compatible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts