RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to take a tune from a 2WD vehicle and put it in a 4WD vehicle, assuming it's the same year model ECM, the injector codes and VIN have been adjusted in alphaOBD, and the rear axle is the same?

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
What's this 2WD configuration you talk about? ...LOL

One would think there would not be any difference between the two. It possiblity could be an issue if it was a transmission tune but still highly unlikely. I do know the 4WD system has its own separate controller for dealing with the transfer case and front axle disconnect actuator.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's this 2WD configuration you talk about? ...LOL

One would think there would not be any difference between the two. It possiblity could be an issue if it was a transmission tune but still highly unlikely. I do know the 4WD system has its own separate controller for dealing with the transfer case and front axle disconnect actuator.
I'll never own another 2WD again...

Thanks for the info. If 4WD has a separate controller, I'm sure this isn't an issue.

Just saw brokedown's post - thank you!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll never understand why anyone would buy a 2wd truck. Trucks are supposed to be capable in all situations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
^ the only time I've ever needed 4x4 was to make it easier to pull heavy boat up the boat ramp using low transfer. The little 318 V8 5 speed just lacked.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll never understand why anyone would buy a 2wd truck. Trucks are supposed to be capable in all situations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My dad farms in a place that gets less than 10" of rain annually and is flat. Hardly anybody has a 4WD truck there. No sense paying for something you haven't needed in 50 years.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in Mesa, AZ and have owned a couple of 4WD vehicles. Never again. See no reason for the initial cost and maintenance of such a vehicle. Maybe if I lived where it snowed and rained I would feel differently.
BTW, since I tow a travel trailer I get almost 50% more cargo capacity than the 4WD models.
Canyon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts