RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased the Hot Tune and the Transmission tune last Friday. I get a form email today asking me to fill out this questionnaire so they can complete my order. They need to verify I'm not a CA resident I guess as they ask for a picture of my registration. They they need a photo of my engine stickers to get the injector info. The last thing they verify is that I know this tune is for off road only. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Hot Tune for on road, emissions passing while the "off road" tune allows for deleting the emissions stuff? I hope they are not sending me the "off road" tune.

Last thought, I ordered last Friday, I was asked to fill this out today. I read about you guys saying how fast you got your tunes. Looks like I'm waiting another week at least. Disappointing.

·
Administrator
8,212 Posts
Both the hot tune and off-road tune are technically not for on the road use. The hot tune does not delete any exhaust components, but it does shut off the EGR.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
They are generally pretty quick with turnaround but things happen. With the AEM effing up trucks they quite possibly are very busy.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I've purchased through GDE about 4 or 5 times, every time with quick service.

The injector code info is normal, the proof of registration is new within the last year or year and a half. CARB came down on GDE so they have to have safeguards in place now to ensure they don't sell to CA residents.

The standard hot tune is what most purchase. They're having you acknowledge it's for off-road use only to appease the EPA. The 'Offroad' option to the hot tune is what allows you to remove the exhaust emissions components.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they should clarify the tunes more, ie "off road emission friendly" and "off-road not so emissions friendly".

Just got a notice, should be here on the 19th. Wonder if I should just put both tunes in at the same time or wait on the transmission tune so I can see the difference each tune makes.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Just got a notice, should be here on the 19th. Wonder if I should just put both tunes in at the same time or wait on the transmission tune so I can see the difference each tune makes.
I would recommend waiting at least a few weeks on the trans tune to get an appreciation for what each tune improves.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking, but I have a thousand mile round trip to Lake Mead towing my boat starting the 25th. Id really like to run it all and see how it does. Maybe I'll install both tunes for the trip then remove the trans tune afterwards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I supplied the requested info during the purchase and the tuned ECM arrived 3 days later, UPS.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
You got your answer. Now don't wait. Get the Hot Tune and do not delay.

Been reading there might be issues coming soon that would really mess getting it done soon. Hope not. Move. NOW! Get that GDE Hot Tune. That's all you need to know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both of my tunes showed up yesterday and I got the Hot Tune installed last night. I didn't do the transmission yet. Will probably do that on Monday. Not sure why there was no instructions in the box. Seems very odd considering it's not just a direct swap. I watched a YouTube video that explained the key on and wait and then the key on and press the throttle. To me that seems like something that could be easily missed by an installer. Not sure what would happen if that procedure is not followed.

So a couple things I've noticed:

1. I got a 90% full exhaust filter message. I think that is normal for everyone. I started driving. Took about 15 miles of mostly loaded miles before it hit 80%. Then on my drive to work this morning, after about 10 miles of highway it started to come down quicker. Think I'm at 50% now and then it turned off the screen. I did not order the regen message option so I'm not sure if what I was seeing was that or something different. I'm guessing they included that message when they weren't supposed to.

2. I was trying hard to test the engine brake option last night. The one item I wanted the most with this tune. I was going down a pretty long hill last night at 60-65mph. I manually down shifted to 7th which put my rpms around 2200. I believe I was in the right conditions at that point for the brake to kick in. There was absolutely no change in any driving condition. Nothing to indicate to me that it was braking. I'm used to the Cummins exhaust brake on our company's Ram 5500 that about puts you through the windshield when it comes on. I then shifted to 6th to bump the rpms up a bit more and again no noticeable change. My speed was not increasing so that was good, but I believe it wouldn't have any ways. Is this normal?

3. I think I noticed what everyone else says, fan stayed on when I shut the engine off, quicker take off from a stop, a bit louder engine sound, overall runs fine.

Really, I just want to know if you guys think they checked the box for regen message instead of the engine brake box. I plan on calling them later today if need be.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
The turbo brake is more subtle than what.you're probably used to in the 5500. Next time use tow/haul to help keep the RPM up also.

You should find out in 600-700 miles if.you have the regen mag option.

I'd recommend waiting a week or two on the trans tune so you have a good appreciation for what the 2 tunes do individually.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you know who's gonna have a good appreciation of the tunes...those of use who aren't gonna get one now... :(
Just read all 16 pages of that thread. Yikes! Not sure if I was the lucky last tune or maybe the unlucky last tune. I just read something about having to download my current TCM tune and send it in so he can changed it and send it back. Is that right? I wonder if that will happen? I'm supposed to send in my old ECM as well. Not sure what will come of that either. Think I'll give it a few more days and see how this plays out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just read all 16 pages of that thread. Yikes! Not sure if I was the lucky last tune or maybe the unlucky last tune. I just read something about having to download my current TCM tune and send it in so he can changed it and send it back. Is that right? I wonder if that will happen? I'm supposed to send in my old ECM as well. Not sure what will come of that either. Think I'll give it a few more days and see how this plays out.
Can you please post a link to the thread that you are referencing? I would like to read through it also

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
How does one order the Hot Tune? *Newbie I know*
Welcome, first post!

You can't. Last week the EPA pressured most all the tuning companies and they shut down. Keep tabs on the GDE website in case they do open back up. Watch for and read that thread about the closure in the general section. Sadly those that just got vehicles or put off getting GDE are essentially "out to lunch".

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sent in my transmission tune in on Friday, as well as asked a few questions for clarification. Within a couple hours GDE responded to the questions I asked, but did not supply the new transmission tune I need. I asked about it yesterday and did not get a response. I sure hope it comes today. I leave tomorrow for a long haul and would really like to have it installed for the trip. I wouldn't think there would be an issue with the transmission tuning. Shouldn't that be up and running?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts