RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trouble free 2015 Ecodiesel Farm truck that's just hit 120K miles. Nothing but filters and oil changes to date. :D

I Plan to spend my settlement check on the GDE tune and have a few questions.

Will the hot tune get rid of this Auto Park when door is open crap?

Is the any reason to get the Off road tune? I don't mind spending ~$20 every 10K miles on DEF. What other benefits does it offer? I live in Virginia, so emissions tests aren't an issue (yet).

Having been 120K miles. Is their any cleaning / maintenance you'd do after tuning it pertaining to soot build up? Or 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

For those with GDE tune and high milage, have you done a full EGR Delete? From what I understand the tune only electronically shuts it off, but it could still eventually leak? Is the risk worth the effort? How hard is a full delete (or just adding metal plates)?

My focus is solely longevity of the truck and fuel efficiency. With that being said, is their any add-on feature I should consider? And is their any reason to get the transmission tune?

Performance isn't important to me, as the truck already exceeds my expectations. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Watching this thread for my ‘15 stock, pre-AEM/U07, ED with 105K miles in no-smog county of Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Leaving my DEF system intact because prefer not to stink up the garage and travel with rear window vented 90% of time. The other reason being preference for clean diesel regarding Mother Nature. Even w/ GDE have always typically added DEF and sometimes distilled water.

EGR...I will mechanically delete when/if a reason occurs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With 120k miles on a stock tuned truck you can be sure that your egr diffuser tube, map sensor and intake are pretty sooted up, if you have never cleaned them. GDE will stop all that crap from continuing to foul the intake but it won't make what's already there disappear.
You may want to look at the sensor and tube and also take a light and see how bad the intake looks. As preventive maintenance, if real bad, it may be worth having your intake cleaned after you get the tune.
I don't know about the U07 safety feature with GDE. I'm sure someone here can answer that or you may want to contact GDE directly. I'm still confused as to wether the U07 is included with AEM or if you can opt out and just get the AEM without the safety update.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great questions! An excellent decision based on what you're looking for, which is longevity!

I'm not sure about the autopark either, give them a call or email and ask.

Off road is only if you plan to delete everything (DPF, SCR, DEF, all that stuff). If you still want to use DEF (like I do), and keep the truck running clean with all the stock pipes, go with the hot tune. That just shuts off EGR. My def still functions as it always did, but as they say, you could if you wanted run distilled water and it won't know the difference as I believe it shuts off the sensor that determines if your DEF is any good or not. But the DEF injector still spits out DEF as I know I can smell it in my exhaust.

As for cleaning - yes, as was already said, pull the diffuser tube and the MAP sensor and clean them both - there's some great youtube videos on cleaning both and how to remove them. They will definitely be SOOTED up by now, BADLY, in fact, I'm surprised you haven't thrown an intake code yet... Also, have you ever cleaned your DEF injector? That's probably caked up with crystalized chalked up DEF... I clean my every 10,000 km and even that often, it's pretty plugged up... I like to be proactive so I'm not stranded on the road with a "you have 10 km left before the truck shuts down" message..

I run GDE Hot tune, but I have not done an EGR delete. There are kits that are available for stage 1 (which is just removing the diffuser tube and putting in blocker plates) and stage 2 which removes the egr cooler. Apparently the kits are getting harder to find in the US (I guess EPA is on their case), but still available in Canada.

I'm playing it by ear, I just had my egr cooler replaced under warrantee so the new one should last me a few years (knock on wood), but when the cooler starts leaking, I'm getting the kit and deleting the cooler and egr tube. I"m not dumping $3000 in some shitty egr cooler that is prone to leaking...

For now, like you, under the hood, my truck looks stock.

Other advise that many have said is remove the foam insulation over the egr diffuser as well as the plastic cover over the engine, esp if you're getting tuned. They retain a lot of heat which some believe may have been the part of the reason the intake fires burned so bad.. I dunno for a fact, but I tried remove it just to be on the safe side.

OPTIONS
Some really like the regen message, I didn't get it because I run an OBDII scanner with Torque Pro app on my phone so it already tells me when the truck is in regen.

I got the high idle feature cause I live in Canada and at work, I can't plug the truck in and there's nothing worse than waiting 10 min idling to warm the thing up... I haven't yet tried it cause I just got the tune back in May, but I'm looking forward to having it.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
13,534 Posts
GDE tuned ECM = No auto-park.
You sure?

Looking at that AutoPark paper I got to being the truck in to have it done. It does not mention any communication with the ECM. It clearly states ( yes I did soak it in solvent cleaning a rifle) they program the PCM, TCM and RF frequency. NO mention of ECM and that's where GDE is.

Might also have to do with year. Mine is a 2014. Just curious and hope you are right.

·
Administrator
8,684 Posts
You sure?

Looking at that AutoPark paper I got to being the truck in to have it done. It does not mention any communication with the ECM. It clearly states ( yes I did soak it in solvent cleaning a rifle) they program the PCM, TCM and RF frequency. NO mention of ECM and that's where GDE is.

Might also have to do with year. Mine is a 2014. Just curious and hope you are right.
The PCM is the ECM. :) No you got me thinking what about the TCM and RF hub??? I could be totally wrong.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
The AEM messes up both the engine & the transmission tunes. Get both you will not regret it. Truck will run & tow better than ever. Oil stay clean, better cruise control function, bump in mileage & power etc. These can improve the life of both engine & transmission.

My truck tows commercially I put the tune in at 30k & the trans tune in when it came out. Change my transmission fluid every 100k still working good at 590k. On the engine tune get the turbo brake feature if you tow.

Watch your degas tank coolant level. Never let it get below the seam if it does more than once you likely have an EGR cooler leak developing. If so Kazimoto linked the best & permanent solution. Oh and if you are doing EGR cooler delete let the tuner know and they will add code to stop check engine light for EGR cooler. If you add that feature to your tune later it costs you $50 to change your tune. At least that’s my understanding unless something has changed.

Reactions: lucskoj

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The AEM messes up both the engine & the transmission tunes. Get both you will not regret it. Truck will run & tow better than ever. Oil stay clean, better cruise control function, bump in mileage & power etc. These can improve the life of both engine & transmission.

My truck tows commercially I put the tune in at 30k & the trans tune in when it came out. Change my transmission fluid every 100k still working good at 590k. On the engine tune get the turbo brake feature if you tow.

Watch your degas tank coolant level. Never let it get below the seam if it does more than once you likely have an EGR cooler leak developing. If so Kazimoto linked the best & permanent solution. Oh and if you are doing EGR cooler delete let the tuner know and they will add code to stop check engine light for EGR cooler. If you add that feature to your tune later it costs you $50 to change your tune. At least that’s my understanding unless something has changed.

If I do very little towing, would you still recommend the trans tune and transmission fluid change? From what I understand the fluid change is a pain and ram says the fuild supposed to last the life of the truck.
As for coolant leak, iv'e never lost a drop.
lastly, 590K is amazing. Think you'll make the million mile club before upgrading?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With 120k miles on a stock tuned truck you can be sure that your egr diffuser tube, map sensor and intake are pretty sooted up, if you have never cleaned them. GDE will stop all that crap from continuing to foul the intake but it won't make what's already there disappear.
You may want to look at the sensor and tube and also take a light and see how bad the intake looks. As preventive maintenance, if real bad, it may be worth having your intake cleaned after you get the tune.
I don't know about the U07 safety feature with GDE. I'm sure someone here can answer that or you may want to contact GDE directly. I'm still confused as to wether the U07 is included with AEM or if you can opt out and just get the AEM without the safety update.
So here's my thinking and I'm sure its wrong. If i'm not getting any error codes now, and the soot build up should stop pretty much completely post GDE tune, then is their any reason to clean the sensors if they're working fine as is? In other words, is what's already their hurting anything?

·
Registered
102 Posts
These were just suggestions based on what I have read here and seen with my own engine. The whole idea about preventive maintenance is to avoid having future CEL's and possible costly repairs.
Cleaning the map sensor and diffuser tube is a fairly painless and easy process. Since your getting GDE the diffuser tube is not as important as the map sensor. You can search on this site for cleaning instructions or I believe there are videos on YouTube.
If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even know about this stuff.
Cleaning the intake is a whole other matter. I wouldn't attempt it unless you know what your doing. Better off having this done by an experience diesel mechanic.
I would talk to the guys at GDE. See what their professional opinion is and go with what they tell you.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
I would still recommend the trans tune since you did the AEM. I would still do the trans fluid change. I think lifetime for Rams purposes is 150,000 miles which is at least 25 beyond their longest warranty. ZF designers of the transmission recommends fluid changes.

Doing a fluid change is discussed with instructions how to do it in the trans section of this forum. I do mine at a buddy’s shop following the ZF transmission fluid change instruction / flow chart. When you drive it in with temperatures already in range with the instructions it shortens the time on the lift.

I also use a quality but less expensive Valvoline Max life transmission fluid that you can buy in a much more cost effective gallon jug. It takes 6 quarts to do a simple fluid change which leaves a couple quarts of the old fluid but it’s a safe easy cost effective & practical way of doing it and if you are doing it every 100k or so it works.

A million miles on the truck would be an accomplishment. It’s also a long ways off depend on whether I can keep it rolling cost effectively. Right now it’s in pretty good shape and looking promising but a wreck motor or transmission failure could change that.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
^^^ agree and your even a slight fender bender away from being cashed out by INS w/ those miles. Your tans has really spoken volumes for the already stellar ZF. Was wondering though how mnay Ziggy wheele's (reluctor ring) your truck has been through?

Personally more concerned with that vs. pooping bearings out the tailpipe...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Regarding the Intake...I can tell you based on fresh info from Keith at GDE that you are better off to leave the sooted up intake as-is, so long as you have no other issues. I had my intake loose, but did not remove it based on their advice. Runs like a champ.

GDE does not remove the auto-park disaster...I really hate that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts