RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed as it has gotten colder that when I start the truck outside with temps in the 30's to low 40's that the idle RPM kicks up a bit vs. starting in my garage where it never gets that cold. Is this a feature of the truck or GDE? Note: I did not purchase the High Idle Feature on the GDE tune.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In a stock truck if you turn the heat all the way up it will idle up to get the coolant temp up to produce the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
The truck..

In fact you can adjust idle up and down with the heat control. As you ask for more heat , the idle will raise. This is how my BigHorn without climate control works.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes the high idle is a stock feature in our trucks when cold. It helps somewhat but in reality is a far cry from how GDE preforms their cold weather high idle. They change the injection timing to throw more heat into the engine during their high idle in conjunction with closing in the variable vanes on the turbo to provide back pressure on the engine which provides load on the engine. The idle RPM in the GDE tune is set to 1500RPM as stock if I remember correctly was only 1300RPM max. I have had 2 ECO's, both tuned by GDE up here in the north and the high idle has been a god send. Well tested and provides much fast heat than stock.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a stock 2016. It also idles higher when I increase the temperature setting at startup. If I understand it correctly, there are heater elements in the ducting that come on to provide instant heat for defrosting in cold weather. The high idle boosts the alternator output to support the extra current requirement of the heater coils?

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
It also idles higher when I increase the temperature setting at startup. If I understand it correctly, there are heater elements in the ducting that come on to provide instant heat for defrosting in cold weather. The high idle boosts the alternator output to support the extra current requirement of the heater coils?
There is three PTC heaters in the ductwork, you can see the wires for them right by the bottom left of the dashboard on the passenger side, the fuses and relays for them is in the small box in front of the brake booster (this also has the glow plug fuse in it).
The heaters come on I think till the coolant temp rises over 100°F or so if the HVAC temperature is set almost full heat for the manual temperature controls and I think it's somewhere in the 70s for those with the DualZone ATC. I'll be interested in seeing how they work this winter as I modified my controls to SingleZone ATC.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I’ll have to try out the instant defroster idea to see if it works.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Highest cold idle I saw when stock was 1100, GDE is 1500. GDE changes other engine parameters as listed above to decrease warm-up time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try plugging your truck in at night. It will have heat right away. It was 37*F outside for me this morning, but a nice comfy 68*F in my garage. When it starts getting into the 20's outside, I'll start plugging in.I know this doesn't help during the day at work (unless you can plug in there). But it sure is nice for the ride into work in the morning.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Highest cold idle I saw when stock was 1100, GDE is 1500. GDE changes other engine parameters as listed above to decrease warm-up time.
Exactly the right numbers here , told by Bounty , as GDE posted .

soon as you touch brake pedal , RPMs go down , leave on Park , let go of brake pedal
and RPMs go back up , when leaving truck don't forget to set heater fan higher than
middle , and the 3 electric heaters incorporated in the system will try to heat the cab .
As crash mentioned , 3 Red relay = PTC heaters , yellow relay = glow plugs relay .(image
)
reference :
thread : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/47401-built-electric-heaters.html
also : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/55001-dash-electric-heaters.html
GDE : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/8489-winter-warm-up-tips.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info guys. Learned something new today...like every other day. For those who haven’t googled...
Positive temperature coefficient (PTC) heaters consist of specialized heating discs built from advanced ceramic materials. These safe, powerful, and energy-efficient heaters allow for exceptional heat production and transfer within even the smallest spaces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts