RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

Just installed GDE tune. Thank you for the clear instructions and all the valuable information posted on this Forum. It went in quite easily without issue given its somewhat cramped. I think that I will hang on to the ECM for a couple days to ensure it is running as it should prior to returning.

My first impressions in a word were "subtle". I did not witness any dramatic changes or improvements that others have posted about. Throttle lag, while improved slightly, is still present IMO but this is probably true for most diesels. It was definitely less in my f250 powerstroke and VW TDI. I really dig the braking feature and the low cruise control (tested briefly). I hear no audible difference as some reported, nor am I experiencing accelerating improvement that "throws you to the back of the seat".

I am very happy that I did it as I really like the fact it negates the exhaust gas re-circulation and hopefully improved MPG. In speaking with DGE, they state the biggest differences in MPG will be at speed <65mph. 95% of my driving is <65 mph (highest posted speed limit is 55 here) so I am expecting a significant gain. I will be satisfied with 2-3 mpg but given my moderate driving style, driving conditions/environment, and stated claims by GDE I am the ideal candidate to maximize MPG gains and expecting the high end of their 3-5 stated spectrum. Time will tell if this holds true and will be disappointed if at least a 10% gain is not achieved.

FYI current trips:
- across the island easily average 28mpg (55-60mph)
- combined driving around town 22-23 mpg (can get up to 24-25 with more than average number of cross island commutes)
- if I throw in a trip or two up the mountain, it is an honest 20-21mpg combined.

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
My first and now long term impression is "subtle" with the tune. Small throttle lag is still present. Not huge acceleration difference. Unless it's over 60 mph. The truck can actually really pass on the highway now.

But the biggest thing, IMO, is disabling the EGR and fuel mapping (less regens). Like I said in a different thread, I did my first oil change last week since installing the tune. The lube tech at the dealer said the oil didn't seem dirty at all. That's a significant improvement over stock to me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just wondering what mileage you were at?

I thought the most noticeable difference was the improvement in lag. I also noticed an increase in turbo noise...where I couldn't hear any while it was stock. I installed at 600 miles or so.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tuned with 4,500 miles on the truck. Turbo noise may be a bit more present but it's very subtle in my opinion. I learned to manage the throttle response lag before the tune. It's better now, but I was doing okay before. Perhaps that's why I, personally, don't find it a huge deal.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
I haven't read all of the GDE posts but don't remember anyone saying there is a dramatic change to the vehicle. All of the changes I saw were modest. Remember GDE validates all of the changes they make and they make sure their tune won't effect the long term reliability of the truck.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
"SUBTLE". Wish I had thought of that word. You're smart to start with something like that.

When I did my initial GDE report I did not phrase it so tactfully or already had readers ready to tear a hunk out of my butt on anything I reported. Excoriated.

Some of the marks are still there. All I did was do a detailed report like yours. Wish I could learn how to be so tactful.

You give lessons?

·
Registered
450 Posts
"SUBTLE". Wish I had thought of that word. You're smart to start with something like that.

When I did my initial GDE report I did not phrase it so tactfully or already had readers ready to tear a hunk out of my butt on anything I reported. Excoriated.

Some of the marks are still there. All I did was do a detailed report like yours. Wish I could learn how to be so tactful.

You give lessons?
I remember your report. When I read it all I saw was someone reporting his experience. The only thing that was an opinion was your belief that instructions should have been provided with the ECM. I didn't think that was a lot to ask. Regarding the OP here, I'm glad to see a report about the oil looking cleaner. I agree the disabling of the EGR is the primary reason for getting the tune. Don't ever ask GDE if they can do only the EGR disable, though. They will take you too literally and say that would harm the engine instead of understanding that you just don't want some of the other features. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just shows how different perceptions can be. In my opinion, the noise is definitely different. More pronounced "diesel" noise, not as smooth sounding. Also vibration is definitely increased at idle. This is not a big deal, and some may prefer it, but I always preferred a smooth runner.

I see absolutely no power difference or lag change.

I see 2 mpg gains measured under very controlled conditions so it's definitely there.

Soot buildup definitely slower so should improve mpg and prolong emissions components.

Main purpose of this is egr, so I view everything else as bonus.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in an area where two lane mountain roads are the predominate roads. I find the tune much better than stock.
If you have to pass a semi in relative short distance you'll see the difference!
I also find the low end response stronger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You give lessons?

UR funny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't read all of the GDE posts but don't remember anyone saying there is a dramatic change to the vehicle. All of the changes I saw were modest. Remember GDE validates all of the changes they make and they make sure their tune won't effect the long term reliability of the truck.
I would consider "modest" quite significant. I have also read reports describing the throttle response "throwing to the back of your seat". That being said, I am wise enough to take such postings on forums with a grain of salt.

However, as previously mentioned, I am happy I did the GDE tune and believe it will increase longevity of the truck with nominal performance gains. I also really like the exhaust brake and slow cruise function. I intend to keep the ecodiesel a long time (so much so I also bought the 8 year warranty which hopefully I will never use. That being said, I can not remember the last car I purchased that the costly AC didn't go out on in given our harsh environment-salty and hot with AC always running. Cheap insurance in my opinion.) and feel this should greatly improve its chances to remain on the road vs. the shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts