RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my second post on the forum. I purchased my 2019 Ram Ecodiesel three days ago it has 20,000 miles on it. Today I went inside my engine and took a look at my EGR and my GOD there was so much diesel particulate after cleaning it all out it got me thinking that I needed a tune. So I am contemplating getting the GDE tune or just go and doing a full delete dpf/egr/etc. Just wondering whats more worth it going through the slightly shady vehicle registration to pass smog with a deleted truck. OR just do a fully compliant GDE tune. Just want to know peoples opinions. I want this to be my forever truck. Want to see some advice from people that have done the GDE tune and people that have done full deletes. Im more interested in maintaining longevity and mpg of the truck than anything.

Is there even any delete kits for sale anymore?

What gives you more bang for the buck?

Thanks everyone so much looking forward to keeping everyone up to date with the vehicle as I own it.:)

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
119 Posts
Welcome Swift(y), I'm a big fan of the 22-250 and the .204, and have a 7MM STW for my bigger bore hotrod, and big bean/cornfields (y).....The GDE emissions compliant tune gets great reviews, I have never seen/read a bad review on their products or service, My truck is running a tune that is no longer available after most of the exhaust components rusted or fell off, my biggest concern is "losing" my tuned ECM and having to investigate a suitable replacement which proves harder to do every day......I don't think you can or would go wrong with either option, performance wise, the delete tunes always run the risk of being "gone" and not knowing where you live you could be subjected to a visual or functional check for emissions?????:unsure: lot of things to consider, myself I like a delete, no def, no dpf, but if things got bad I could be at the end of the limb with limited option$

the GDE offering will definitely get you added longevity and better mileage, and from what I have read will satisfy additional power requirements (y)

·
Registered
2018 SLT+ Crewcab Ecodiesel
244 Posts
Keep watch on the classified section as pre EPA GDE tunes come up for sale quite often. A stage one shuts off the EGR and prevents it from contaminating your engine, and you can then leave everything else alone. I think this is the best option for you.
The next best thing would be the GDE emissions compliant tune.

My .02

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,891 Posts
I read an article the other day, can't find it now. Some eastern state snagged some guy selling his 2018 Cummins, deleted, and had advertised this on Facebook.

They gave him two choices, put back on all the EPA gear, or crush the vehicle. He tried to claim it was an "off road" vehicle, but no dice. Fix it or crush it.

He crushed the vehicle.

These days deleting can carry some heavy legal implications. The big one is when you sell it.

I would do the GDE tune, legal and easy to return to stock mode as none of the components are removed.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
That early GDE tune, if you can find one, does need some computer adjustment for your injectors. Many here can help you do that.

Now if you can get one you will not only be shutting off the EGR but also altering the DEF. Then you can run water in it just to keep things going. You will still do a regeneration but it will be less frequent than before the tune. You also get a bit more power, smother operation and maybe the option of an turbo exhaust brake. When operating there will no longer be that awful soot contaminating the oil and other equipment on the truck.

Look, find and install the old GDE tuned ECM.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Here's a Pre EPA tune from a somewhat shady member @Mopar73340 😆 just kidding he's a good fella and happens to be an good resource as well, this is a bargain get it before it's gone these are becoming unicorn's they no longer exist just saying -> Pre EPA EcoDiesel Tune

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,891 Posts
Here's a Pre EPA tune from a somewhat shady member @Mopar73340 😆 just kidding he's a good fella and happens to be an good resource as well, this is a bargain get it before it's gone these are becoming unicorn's they no longer exist just saying -> Pre EPA EcoDiesel Tune
I knew when I sold mine in one day for $500 I could of charged more. They are very desirable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read an article the other day, can't find it now. Some eastern state snagged some guy selling his 2018 Cummins, deleted, and had advertised this on Facebook.

They gave him two choices, put back on all the EPA gear, or crush the vehicle. He tried to claim it was an "off road" vehicle, but no dice. Fix it or crush it.

He crushed the vehicle.

These days deleting can carry some heavy legal implications. The big one is when you sell it.

I would do the GDE tune, legal and easy to return to stock mode as none of the components are removed.
Damn, thats sad. The more I have been thinking the more I am leaning towards a tune than anything. I live in the worst state in the world to do any deletes (California).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Swift(y), I'm a big fan of the 22-250 and the .204, and have a 7MM STW for my bigger bore hotrod, and big bean/cornfields (y).....The GDE emissions compliant tune gets great reviews, I have never seen/read a bad review on their products or service, My truck is running a tune that is no longer available after most of the exhaust components rusted or fell off, my biggest concern is "losing" my tuned ECM and having to investigate a suitable replacement which proves harder to do every day......I don't think you can or would go wrong with either option, performance wise, the delete tunes always run the risk of being "gone" and not knowing where you live you could be subjected to a visual or functional check for emissions?????:unsure: lot of things to consider, myself I like a delete, no def, no dpf, but if things got bad I could be at the end of the limb with limited option$

the GDE offering will definitely get you added longevity and better mileage, and from what I have read will satisfy additional power requirements (y)
Thanks so much for the response. It is a tricky one determining which is more viable uou can take the full delete route and run the risk of getting busted or do the slightly less illegal route in my state and go with the tuned delete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the info I hit him up on the tune and hopefully it follows through.

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
Thanks for the bump and kind 😁 words TexasJoe! I’m still around!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only reputable tune for a delete that I know of is from EcoDiesel Owners Canada. They have a Facebook page. They use the MR Tune. Stage one is very similar to the original GDE tune. Their stage 2 is a full delete.

Some owners on this site use the MR Tune and are very happy with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts