RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just looked into pricing, says tune is 699 but it shows up as 709 in the cart. Shipping is separate so that's not it. They may owe some people 10 bucks lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just looked into pricing, says tune is 699 but it shows up as 709 in the cart. Shipping is separate so that's not it. They may owe some people 10 bucks lol

Shipping insurance is 10 bucks, you have to deselect it to stay at 699.
You're right, I forgot about that. They should break down all the charges in the cart

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
4 people chimed in and said “Wrong”
If they are correct, then I got ripped off by green diesel engendering!

I’m calling GDE Monday morning and asking about charges for addons on upgrades/reflashes and let you know here what they say, maybe I can get my $150 back and it was some sorta miscommunication or oversight by them.
Or at least 4 people here in this thread are wrong (which I’m hoping is not the case)
Call them and lest us know. I'm thinking you didn't have to select those options again on the reflash but I'm not sure. GDE keeps a record of your tune and the options you originally chose. The fact you were charged for it might just be their automated purchase system and an oversight on their part.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Sarum , rare mistakes have been reported in the past ,
members always came back to say GDE fixed the error .
contact them , I personnally always added comments in the comments box
to double check stuff , they may have figured I was dumb for saying stuff twice
but in the end all was done precisely as planned and estimated .

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's been my experience that this is wrong. I've had my GDE ECM updated several times and was never charged a second time for the add-oin options. Each update was only $50, nothing additional for all the options I have (regen msg, high idle, turbo brake, oil pressure sender).

Fill the DEF tank half full with distilled water if you have the DEF system turned off.
The DEF system is not turned off by the GDE tune, right? I assume those with the DEF system turned off did that themselves after getting the tune? Or is that one of the options that can be had with the tune?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had the hot tune for 2,000 miles now. My first full tank after install actually went down to 24 mpg (I was averaging 25 mpg). The next 4 fill-ups saw steadily increasing mileage. My last and best tank saw 28.7 mpg.

I didn't feel a huge increase in response. I did it to eliminate the EGR and improve durability. The mileage increase was just a bonus.

·
Vendor
1,129 Posts
Sarum,

Send GDE an email. With the tune update, you should select 'leave current configuration', no need to buy options again that you already have. We typically only look for new options on reflashes and missed your rebuy of everything. Maybe they guys thought you were trying to give us a tip.

We can get it fixed.
GDE

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Sarum,

Send GDE an email. With the tune update, you should select 'leave current configuration', no need to buy options again that you already have. We typically only look for new options on reflashes and missed your rebuy of everything. Maybe they guys thought you were trying to give us a tip.

We can get it fixed.
GDE
The new flash after my AEM does not seem to have the turbo brake feature in it. Guessing you were/are oh so stupid busy it was not put in. I towed in the Carolina mountains last month and could never get it to activate. Understand and really do not care as I will soon be replacing my truck with one of the new models and getting a GDE tune for it. No plans to tow into the mountains again until next Summer. Not going to bother making another change.

Sure appreciate your helpfulness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my opinion, you have to ask yourself WHAT is the reason behind WHY you want the tune. If you enjoy the accessory things that it adds, or the modification it makes to the EGR system, then that would be the primary reason to look into it. If it's about fuel economy, it's like buying an electric vehicle, it is a false economy. That is, you feel better that now you get 3-5mpg more. But when I ran the numbers, you have to drive over 80,000 miles on the truck before you even BEGIN to see savings over the cost of the tune. For me, it's not worth it. But to each their own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the truck (2018 Crew Cab) for 2 months and the GDE tune for about 2 weeks. Mileage went from 21-22 mpg to about 26 mpg unloaded, combined driving. When towing, 10-11 mpg to 14.5 mpg. The truck has 3000 miles on it and mileage was steadily improving anyway. Love the much better throttle response over the AEM flash.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
In my opinion, you have to ask yourself WHAT is the reason behind WHY you want the tune. If you enjoy the accessory things that it adds, or the modification it makes to the EGR system, then that would be the primary reason to look into it. If it's about fuel economy, it's like buying an electric vehicle, it is a false economy. That is, you feel better that now you get 3-5mpg more. But when I ran the numbers, you have to drive over 80,000 miles on the truck before you even BEGIN to see savings over the cost of the tune. For me, it's not worth it. But to each their own.
40K seems to be the average mileage for payback,

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you tow the payback is immediate with the Turbo brake. If you intend on keeping the truck long term the tune pays for itself by keeping the soot out of the intake, which causes many issues. Swirl valve damage, burnt holes in the intake and black crap always cycling thru the engine in the oil. I like the lighter colored oil when doing the oil change. The cost of a replacement intake will more than pay for the tune.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2 cents as an untuned member, if throttle response is what you are after, maybe try pedal commander or something of the sort. It’s cheaper, less invasive and adjustable to your liking. A buddy of mine has one and raves about it. If you are after the cleaner oil and turbo brake and all the other well documented GDE benefits, then go with that

I personally haven’t had any major issues (could it accelerate better, sure) that has caused me to want to spend that kind of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
To me the payoff for GDE is completely paid the first second you operate a GDE tuned Ecodiesel.

When I bought mine there were literally none owned and operated by consumers. It was one of the first. Immediately I learned that the modern diesel with emission controls i8s a major loser. My old Cummins, Duramax and GM 6.5 had no emissions. Same with the diesel tractors I owned and still own. Stupid me read and knew nothing about this topic. What a shock to find out when I had CEL's at the start. Had to learn about and get punished with dealer trips to deal with and replace the DEF system. All the early models had that. My oil was black in a thousand miles for another problem I figured was the death of my engine. Stupid me again as I did not understand this EGR stuff and the DPF system.

Like many still today on this forum, I was as dumb as they come on what was destroying my new Ecodiesel. Then I learned about GDE back then. Also learned what a full delete was. Seems my earlier diesels were a full delete and that's all I knew. GDE changed my choice of buying an Ecodiesel from a disaster to a pleasure. Thank GOD, this forum and GDE.

Funny but I feared the 25 miles coming home from that AEM. I had to drain the water from my DEF tank and replace it with DEF. Was flat out scared those darn sensors would shut me down on the way home. Cried in my nervousness that each moment that engine ran I was destroying the engine with a working EGR system. Parked the truck and never thought of starting it again until the replacement GDE program came.

What shocks me is I was so stupid to not know how bad operating a stock Ecodiesel is with emissions. During the past 5 1/2 years of ownership, this forum and others have dispensed the information about how bad a stock emissions diesel is. Rarely is anyone frank enough to admit how horrible stock operation is for their engine. Yet today, with all this information available and so many readers informed, some resist doing what they know will keep their engines operating in a clean and reasonable manner. That, to me, is more stupid than my stupidity now knowing when I bought this thing.

Now I am ready for another truck. I want it to be a diesel. I demand that it be tunable as there is no way I will make the same stupid mistake again and try to deal with modern emissions systems. I learned and am responding to that knowledge. Why don't you?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm taking a different route I guess, trade it in at 120,000 miles. the de-icing stuff being used in this region so bad it eats out the underside of anything anyways and I'm under warranty until that mileage.

really depends on your situation. would I like it? yes. Just seems like after about 5yrs, all the under coatings are gone, things start to brake and wear out, it's not like the older vehicle that you could just get out the craftsmen wrenches and fix the thing so what's the sense in replacing the ECM for nearly $1,000, especially if you want to have 2 (keep the original).

guess I'm the outlier here.

as an aside, how can the guys who worked from FCA/Ram who are at GDE do the same thing loads of engineers at FCA/Ram do and know FCA/Ram have far more resources (wind tunnel etc) and do a worse job? How does that happen!?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Have had my 17 ED since Dec '17. Love the truck. I'm still running stock. Like many I too have experience the turbo lag but have not ever had any life threatening experiences. Approx 17K of my 30K miles on the truck have been towing my 23' TT. So, question. What have others experienced, both positive and negative with the GDE Hot Tune? I'm looking for real experiences in MPG, Turbo Lag and Towing. I look forward to hearing your experiences.
Howdy

I bought my '17 in April of 2018, and she is close to 30,000 miles.

The oil was jet ink black on my first oil change. I did notice the "lag" on the throttle. I was getting around 28 mpg freeway.

I got the tune last summer at around 5000 miles. When I pulled out of my slightly uphill gravel drive the first time tuned, man the rears were spinning and throwing gravel like it was a completely different truck.

I did one oil change with over 9000 miles on the oil, I was impressed on how clean the oil still was compared to pretuned godawful blackness at almost half that many miles.

I gained about 3-4 mpg no load, about 1 mpg gain towing, but overall power and mileage are very good.

I have the message option, the engine brake option, and the fast idle option.

I like the brake option the best. I like coming down those steep grades towing, engine in that 3000-3500 rpm, I hardly touch the brakes. A close second is the fast idle, that is very handy up here in Alaska in winter. The message option is good as to make sure the regen is done, while hot, to avoid possible future problems.

So far no issues with my Ecodiesel, I really like this truck, and with the new found power the tune gives, even better. A worthy upgrade in my opinion. The throttle response is quite sporty.

Just do it. I kept my original ecm, just in case. Each to his/her own there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Howdy

I bought my '17 in April of 2018, and she is close to 30,000 miles.

The oil was jet ink black on my first oil change. I did notice the "lag" on the throttle. I was getting around 28 mpg freeway.

I got the tune last summer at around 5000 miles. When I pulled out of my slightly uphill gravel drive the first time tuned, man the rears were spinning and throwing gravel like it was a completely different truck.

I did one oil change with over 9000 miles on the oil, I was impressed on how clean the oil still was compared to pretuned godawful blackness at almost half that many miles.

I gained about 3-4 mpg no load, about 1 mpg gain towing, but overall power and mileage are very good.

I have the message option, the engine brake option, and the fast idle option.

I like the brake option the best. I like coming down those steep grades towing, engine in that 3000-3500 rpm, I hardly touch the brakes. A close second is the fast idle, that is very handy up here in Alaska in winter. The message option is good as to make sure the regen is done, while hot, to avoid possible future problems.

So far no issues with my Ecodiesel, I really like this truck, and with the new found power the tune gives, even better. A worthy upgrade in my opinion. The throttle response is quite sporty.

Just do it. I kept my original ecm, just in case. Each to his/her own there.
These are pretty much the exact numbers I have experienced since I bought my truck. This is exactly why I posed the original set of questions to the forum. I appreciate these type of responses. Now the only problem is to get from here to Michigan to get the tune. This is my only ride, so I can't send one ECM and wait for the other and I'm too friggin' frugal to buy both.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
These are pretty much the exact numbers I have experienced since I bought my truck. This is exactly why I posed the original set of questions to the forum. I appreciate these type of responses. Now the only problem is to get from here to Michigan to get the tune. This is my only ride, so I can't send one ECM and wait for the other and I'm too friggin' frugal to buy both.
GDE does the exchange program. Just order the tuned ECM and when it arrives swap with your original and return it to GDE.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts