RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 ED Limited, stock with the AEM update done 2 months ago. My MPG has dropped a couple points, and I have that “lag” being discussed, so I’m thinking about doing the GDE, but know very little about it.

A couple of specific questions:
1. I drive mostly around town with the truck, about 90% of the time less than 30 miles a run, and probably 50% of the time 5 to 10 mile runs. I understand the performance upgrades the GDE will give me (better power/pickup...), BUT, is there engine longevity improvements made when used “around town” vs highway type mileage? In other words, is the GDE tune made more for highway type driving, or is it made for everything for the most part? Aka, other than the performance gain I will “feel”, will it be good for my engine since it’s driven mostly around town or is it instead better for an engine driven on highways...?

2. Will the GDE tune improve the around town MPG, or again is it based more on a highway MPG improvement?

3. Something that has bothered me on this truck which was not affected by the AEM update I don’t think, is the fact when I roll up to a light for example (going 20 mph and take my foot off pedal early to roll up to a red light ahead), the truck often feels like I put my foot lightly on the brake. In other words, it doesn’t seem to free roll very well, it’s almost like I have always left the parking brake lightly engaged or something. Something goes on with the tranny when you let it idle and roll going 10 or 20mph... So does the GDE tune affect this? And/or does the GDE tranny tune affect/fix this?

4. Lastly, if this “tune” works so well, why doesn’t FCA use it, or make their own similar.... ? What am I missing? Does it raise the emissions so the truck no longer meets the EPA standards or something? (And PS- if so, I could care less! just trying to understand...).

5. Does it affect the warranty? I have the FCA MAX Care 10 year warranty + about to get the extra AEM warranty, I would hate to loose all that since I will likely not go over the mileage.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
1. It works great for both city & highway driving.

2. Yes.

3. It will coast better with just the engine tune.

4. FCA must adhere to strict EPA standards.

5. That's a tricky question because technically it could, but we have never seen this happen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am considering GDE tune also. Wanting to learn more.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In response to #1, I'm like you, I do a lot of city driving, my mpg even in the city has been amazing with GDE, much better than stock. I also do some highway driving, but a majority has been city. My regen frequency is down SIGNIFICANTLY from stock (it used to be every 120-200 km between regens with stock). Now it's every 1100 - 1200 km between regens with GDE. It's a much cleaner tune city or highway.

#2 - YES, see my answer to #1, in Canada, when I drove city a lot, I was getting around 10-11 L/100 km (21-23 mpg). Now I'm averaging around 8 - 9 L / 100 km with mostly city driving (26-28 mpg). Recently, I've done a lot more highway driving, and my avg is up in the 30 mpg range.

#3 - I'm not sure what you mean - is it downshifting? When is the last time you lifted up the truck - I'd put it on a hoist, turn the tires by hand, is there resistance? It could be brake pads / rusty roters creating that braking feeling. You should be able to turn the tire freely when up on a hoist, if you feel resistance, you should pull the brakes, and clean them, put some lube on the brake sliders so they free up.

#4 - they shut off egr which is why it's called "off road", not legal.. you have to weigh the pros / cons. On these trucks, running the egr is basically self destruction to the motor to save the environment. So at your cost, $50-80,000, egr is basically turning your truck into a fart breathing machine which eventually kills the motor with soot. Not a well thought out design. I believe, but I'm not sure, that GDE raises NOx emissions a bit, outside the allowable numbers?? I'm not sure. Regardless, the tune is smokeless, no black smoke, no white smoke, no black shit on my bumper and I could touch my exhaust tip and it's clean as chrome. It's a chance we take...

#5 - what some do is they buy a 2nd ECU, get that tuned and keep the stock one for warranty work, an expensive insurance, but that's your decision.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Just keep this in mind as the most important part of the tune, it shuts off the EGR and as mentioned is a long term engine killer due to soot ingestion.

The tune is not for performance it is for longevity of the engine and therefore power wise you may or may not notice much of a power difference. You should definitely see a fuel mileage improvement but how much is dependent upon how you drive, and the “lag” should be non existent.

The tune also leaves all the emission components intact and according to GDE, emissions of CO2 and soot are less than the factory tune. Regen frequency is vastly reduced as less soot is produced therefore less fuel wasted. NOX emissions are increased from the factory tune so therefore it won’t pass EPA or CARB standards.

There is an entire GDE section here so spend some time there reading and all of your questions should be answered.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I gained a few mpg and the regen frequency is way better. It shuts the egr off worth that alone. The lag I had is pretty much gone. The turbo brake is extra but we'll worth it. There is always a risk for warranty issues but in my opinion pretty small and well worth the risk. I kept my stock ecu just in case but if I did it again I wouldn't. I don't think they'll find the tune and if they overwrite it just pay 50$ ship it back and GDE will retune it. The truck is all around better with the tune. If you want reliable and safe. It's not a oh my god this thing is a hot rod now tune.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#3 - I'm not sure what you mean - is it downshifting? When is the last time you lifted up the truck - I'd put it on a hoist, turn the tires by hand, is there resistance? It could be brake pads / rusty roters creating that braking feeling. You should be able to turn the tire freely when up on a hoist, if you feel resistance, you should pull the brakes, and clean them, put some lube on the brake sliders so they free up.
Not a brake problem, just “feels” like it. It feels to me like instead of coasting and putting the tranny in N, it downshifts and starts slowing the truck down like the “brake tune” would do (or downshifting on a manual car to brake....). But all I did was take my foot of the panel, and just want to coast up to the light (hoping it turns green before I have to stop and I can then accelerate..). I’ve never had a vehicle do this like this, all my other trucks and cars would coast much better, like they went into neutral when you took your foot off the pedal. I only notice this at slow speeds, below 20, 10 mph... not on the highway. It definitely a tranny thing.

As far as the “regeneration” stuff everyone is mentioning. I bought my truck pre-owned from the dealer with 20k miles on it. I now have 50k on it, so I have put 25k on it, I have seen the “Re-generation” message twice. Once I was on the highway when it popped up, and it was done before I reached the exit I was going to so it was nothing really. The 2nd time I was on side streets just running up the road, so I got on a hwy way and drove 1 exit (5 miles I think) and it was done. So in 3 years, I spent 5 minutes on it?? I don’t quite understand all the hoopla over it? Is my experience not typical with the re-gen stuff?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Your truck is regening all the time you just don't know it. With some trucks like mine it was every 50 miles at the end 200 miles when I first bought it. Without a monitor it's hard to tell when it's doing it unless you know what your looking for. Some guys stock can go much longer then mine did stock. With a tune I get around 600 + miles. Excessive regens are hard on dpf filter and bad for fuel economy. It also can delute your oil with diesel fuel. You only seen it a few times when your filter becomes 80% full as a warning to drive on highway to clean it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well said GRIFF4! A lot of drivers don't realize how often these trucks REGEN behind the scenes. 7

I didn't know either until I got a monitor and I kinda freaked out when I realized that my truck was doing a regen, like you, ever 120 km - 150 km which was nearly every 2 days! And with a lot of city driving, I had no clue that it was trying to regen and trying again and again cause I wasn't driving enough to complete..

Now that I have a OBDII scanner and TORQUE PRO and GDE, I can see what's going on, and it takes me nearly 3 weeks of driving (1100-1200 km) before I get a regen, but I'm able to see when it's in regen, and hop on the highway to keep everything warm enough to complete the cycle...

Excessive regen isn't good on the DPF or your oil - could lead to fuel dilution...

·
Registered
448 Posts
#5 - what some do is they buy a 2nd ECU, get that tuned and keep the stock one for warranty work, an expensive insurance, but that's your decision.
Well, what they really do is just order a hot tune from GDE, receive the tuned ECM, and keep their original one instead of sending it to GDE. So they pay full price instead of getting credit for trading in the stock unit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not a brake problem, just “feels” like it. It feels to me like instead of coasting and putting the tranny in N, it downshifts and starts slowing the truck down like the “brake tune” would do (or downshifting on a manual car to brake....). But all I did was take my foot of the panel, and just want to coast up to the light (hoping it turns green before I have to stop and I can then accelerate..). I’ve never had a vehicle do this like this, all my other trucks and cars would coast much better, like they went into neutral when you took your foot off the pedal. I only notice this at slow speeds, below 20, 10 mph... not on the highway. It definitely a tranny thing.

As far as the “regeneration” stuff everyone is mentioning. I bought my truck pre-owned from the dealer with 20k miles on it. I now have 50k on it, so I have put 25k on it, I have seen the “Re-generation” message twice. Once I was on the highway when it popped up, and it was done before I reached the exit I was going to so it was nothing really. The 2nd time I was on side streets just running up the road, so I got on a hwy way and drove 1 exit (5 miles I think) and it was done. So in 3 years, I spent 5 minutes on it?? I don’t quite understand all the hoopla over it? Is my experience not typical with the re-gen stuff?
Machria, what happens is, your truck is programmed to do a regen behind the scenes when the soot levels in your DPF hit 66% (but it doesn't tell you anything), and if the conditions are not ideal for a regen, the regen is cancelled and soot levels get higher, 70% and it tries again, 80% and it tries again, 90% and it tries again.

I believe when it hits either 80% or 90%, I'm not sure which trigger point, that's when you get the message on your EVIC saying to get on the highway because a regen is about to start... So you saw that message, but what you don't see is the fact that it did probably 200-350 regens that you didn't know were happening in your 25k...

With GDE, they up the trigger point from 66% to 80% so not only does it produce a lot less soot with their tune, it takes a lot longer to get to 80% so you end up with much less regens, much cleaner oil, and less opportunity for fuel dilution in your oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Machria, what happens is, your truck is programmed to do a regen behind the scenes when the soot levels in your DPF hit 66% (but it doesn't tell you anything), and if the conditions are not ideal for a regen, the regen is cancelled and soot levels get higher, 70% and it tries again, 80% and it tries again, 90% and it tries again.

I believe when it hits either 80% or 90%, I'm not sure which trigger point, that's when you get the message on your EVIC saying to get on the highway because a regen is about to start... So you saw that message, but what you don't see is the fact that it did probably 200-350 regens that you didn't know were happening in your 25k...

With GDE, they up the trigger point from 66% to 80% so not only does it produce a lot less soot with their tune, it takes a lot longer to get to 80% so you end up with much less regens, much cleaner oil, and less opportunity for fuel dilution in your oil.

Got it, thanks!! I did not know any of this, and always wondered why everyone was always bitching about the re-gens... I have to read up on the re-gens, what it’s actually doing. I thought it was just heating up the exhaust like a cat to burn off some stuff built up on a filter or something? I didn’t know it affected anything else... ? I have to read up on what it is doing....

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
Got it, thanks!! I did not know any of this, and always wondered why everyone was always bitching about the re-gens... I have to read up on the re-gens, what it’s actually doing. I thought it was just heating up the exhaust like a cat to burn off some stuff built up on a filter or something? I didn’t know it affected anything else... ? I have to read up on what it is doing....
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/10328-regeneration-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf.html

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
The GDE hot tune turns off pilot injection, which is the largest soot producer of the stock tune. Turning off the EGR helps greatly but turning off pilot injection is huge.

I have the 8/120k extended warranty. Tuned since the truck was new. In the 84k miles I've never had an issue getting warranty work completed with the GDE ECM installed. YMMV.

The Hot Tune and trans tune make the Ram a completely different truck. It's an absolute blast to drive. Tows great as well. Money well spent if you want a truck you'll love even more, and want it to last a long time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting stuff, thanks!

Since you seem to think the AEM class action “release” is ok per the other thread we discussed it in..., let me ask you a question about it. On the good side of the release/new warranty, I wonder if the new warranty is actually very good for us since it now covers most all issues with the exhaust system which is where a lot of people say is a problem on this motor. What is your opinion about that? Do you think the new AEM warranty will “help us” in the long run because exhaust system problems will now be covered that might have otherwise not been covered? OR do you think they will just say “it was not caused by the AEM” and we will never be able to convince them the AEM stuff was the cause.... ??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The GDE hot tune turns off pilot injection, which is the largest soot producer of the stock tune. Turning off the EGR helps greatly but turning off pilot injection is huge.

I have the 8/120k extended warranty. Tuned since the truck was new. In the 84k miles I've never had an issue getting warranty work completed with the GDE ECM installed. YMMV.

The Hot Tune and trans tune make the Ram a completely different truck. It's an absolute blast to drive. Tows great as well. Money well spent if you want a truck you'll love even more, and want it to last a long time.

It all “sounds” great. BUT, at $1000+ it’s a lot of cash to be dropping... do these guys ever have a sale of any kind during the year?

·
Administrator
8,258 Posts
Interesting stuff, thanks!

Since you seem to think the AEM class action “release” is ok per the other thread we discussed it in..., let me ask you a question about it. On the good side of the release/new warranty, I wonder if the new warranty is actually very good for us since it now covers most all issues with the exhaust system which is where a lot of people say is a problem on this motor. What is your opinion about that? Do you think the new AEM warranty will “help us” in the long run because exhaust system problems will now be covered that might have otherwise not been covered? OR do you think they will just say “it was not caused by the AEM” and we will never be able to convince them the AEM stuff was the cause.... ??
I think the warranty is a real bonus and FCA will have to honor it in accordance with their agreement with the class action.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts