RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the GDE tune update. Have been running hot tune with engine braking, ordered the update with the high idle and the oil pressure sensor.

My question is...has anyone else previously running the tune updated and installed? If so...do you have to go through the same steps as the first time you installed? I have a CTS2 and I just did a regen, so I'm at 8%. I opted to mail mine in because I don't need to drive it between now and when I get the ECM back so...I'm wondering if I'll still have to do a regen, and if so, will it still do it even though I'm at 8%?

Next question, anyone installed the oil pressure sensor? If you look at page 2 of the downloadable PDF instructions, a picture for reference has 4 items circled. The existing sensor and another sensor next to it. It explains in the instructions to remove items one and two (the existing sensor). But makes no mention of circled items 3 and 4. That sensor is also removed on page 3. Am I missing something or just misunderstanding or what? Thanks

·
Vendor
1,132 Posts
When you ship in your ecm for tuning, there is no setup for the oil life or DEF as those settings are no touched. Only if you have us setup a clone ecm do those items need to be reset.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Keith. Appreciate the quick response.

If nobody has made a video of installing the oil pressure sensor yet, or if anyone wants me to document it on video, let me know.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Document it please. Many of us would like to know and see the process regardless. May also help us make the purchase if it's an easy install. Enjoy the tune!
Roger dodger will do. I don't have much experience in video documenting but I'll try to either edit out the long periods of no activity, or...at least, not "pull a Sean" and keep the monologue to a minimum so you don't get a 2 hour video about a 10 minute procedure. Lol (Sean if you read this I'm just busting your balls you've put out a lot of good information.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Oil Sensor is pretty easy to do....I suggest pulling the driver side front tire it would be little easier with the inner Fender out of the way, but not necessary. That was the easiest way I found to do it....

Also, the new sensor plugs into a harness on top of the engine front drivers side. the harness will reach just fine.

The instructions are OK, but not great if you've never done one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
To anyone reading this who knew Shawn, or had at least watched some videos he'd posted, and isn't aware, as I was not, when I make a joke, with good taste intended, about how long Shawns videos were....I've been informed Shawn has passed away and is no longer with us. I apologize if anyone read that and assumed I knew because of the threads that have been posted regarding his passing. I was not aware. Thoughts and prayers are with his family, may he Rest In Peace.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Very sorry to hear Shawn has passed. I watched all of his videos before I ever purchased my 2016 EcoD. His videos assured me about how easy to do normal maintenance on these trucks was.
How did you find out there are updates to the GDE tune? How much is it. I have my original ECM, so I can always reinstall that while GDE updates. I guess with that installed I could go to the Ram dealer and have them upgrade the factory ECM to what ever their specs are. Any thoughts on that? Or should I just keep the OEAM ECM cherry?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,532 Posts
I wouldn't make a special trip to the dealer to update but if you take the truck in for any other reason I would install the factory ECU since you have it as the first thing they want to do is update it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn't be conerned wirh keeping the Stock ECM brand new, nor would I advise taking the time to swap it just to take it to the dealership to have them update it. The whole purpose of having 2 (since you're running the GDE tune), in my opinion, is you never have to have them hold $650 on a card while they ship you one or have to let your truck sit idle while you wait for it to be miles back.

If I were you, and you drive the truck daily, and would like the update/flash....I would, if GDE allows you to, mail the stock ECM to GDE and have them flash it with the update, and then when you get it back, swap, and you've always got two GDE tuned ECMs. Manufacturers, under law (Foster-Miller Act maybe) carry the burden of proving that whatever you did aftermarket was the direct cause of an issue you're now asking them to cover under warranty should something go wrong. If you ever want a stock overwrite I'm sure a dealership would be happy to reflash your tuned ECM back stock while it's under warranty, but...I just wouldn't be too concerned about posessing a stock tuned ECM. Anytime that thing is running your EGR is just recycling dirty exhaust gases back into your intake and personally I like minimalizinf that as much as possible.

I found out about the update here on the forum. After I write this I'll find the link the the thread and post it below. I also wanted to get the high idle and "real" (not just calculated based on oil temp and rpm) oil presssure sensor GDE came out with. All together with shipping came to just over $250.00.

Just the update is $50.00. To anyone who may seem that as unfair since it's basically an updated version of something you've paid for, software-wise, and think it should be free....consider this. Keith and all the other guys at GDE have probably spent more time and money ensuring their tune does NOT cause premature wear on other components, than ANY aftermarket tuner I've ever come across. They've gotta cover expenses somehow. So...for me it was $50 for the update/reflash, $150 for the "real" oil pressure sensor and tuning accompanying it, and $50 for the high idle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you very much. I was wondering if gde had a update. I have a scanguageii and I see different temps than what my tradesman desplay shows. Not by much, but it is different. Will have to see if oil temp is worth the extra $150.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ha, I needed to read closer. I have always been more interested in oil and water temps while towing up mountains. How far off is the oil pressure readout?

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Ha, I needed to read closer. I have always been more interested in oil and water temps while towing up mountains. How far off is the oil pressure readout?

Hard to say how far off it is. There's no sending unit for actual oil pressure, just a low pressure switch. The oil pressure is a guesstimate based on oil temperature and RPM. Pretty lame huh.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
So where does the sensor send the info to once it is installed?

With the GDE option you will read the true oil pressure on the dash gauge & EVIC. Same place you currently read the fake news (I mean fake oil pressure).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wish I had a guage. The evic must be where all the engine data shows as a list. I have the simple tradesman dash display.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts