RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am pretty sure it does. I can also have it on the scanguage, but I like to know what gear I am in and what the egr temps are. I sent my scanguage in and they updated it specifically for the ecod. There are a lot of different things you can pull up. Turbo pressure for one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just to chime in...I guess personally, the variation between what the estimated oil pressure and the actual isn't my personal concern or why the actual pressure sensor is worth $150.

In my opinion...it's really just of preventative measures. In the event oil pressure actually does either skyrocket or...drop off...I will be able to see that happening and shut down the engine before more damage is caused, which...with an estimation, wouldn't be the case until either something threw a code, or CEL or worse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an update....I completely forgot to video the installation of the GDE oil pressure sensor. Sorry to anyone that wanted one. I will say, I've got pretty big hands (XL glove size) and had no issue removing the stock sensor and installing the new one.

I'm not sure if all model years are affected by this....but I ran into one issue. My plan was, to install the new oil pressure sensor, install updated ECM, start it, make sure I no codes were thrown, then...after I was sure the sensor didn't need to be pulled, change the oil and filter. (Needed to change from 5w-30 to 40 anyways).

In the instructions it denotes that some MY14 3D's don't drain oil from oil filter housing shroud. I knew mine did, but wasn't draining with the ECM out. So I thought...hell maybe just installing the ECM without turning the ignition to on or anything (didn't want to start it or turn it to run because I knew it would throw a code for the re-mapping of the oil pressure sensor). So I switched gears, and installed the updated ECM. Didn't turn the ignition at all. Just re installed it and plugged it back in.

Sure enough, oil drained from filter housing after that. Did sensor, started truck, no codes, no CEL's. and had an accurate oil pressure.

Other than that, I've now got a little more peace of mind just knowing the parameters for low oil pressure have been remapped to err on the side of caution, and was relatively surprised at how much higher the oil pressure can climb, even when the engine is completely warmed up.

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Just an update....I completely forgot to video the installation of the GDE oil pressure sensor. Sorry to anyone that wanted one. I will say, I've got pretty big hands (XL glove size) and had no issue removing the stock sensor and installing the new one.

I'm not sure if all model years are affected by this....but I ran into one issue. My plan was, to install the new oil pressure sensor, install updated ECM, start it, make sure I no codes were thrown, then...after I was sure the sensor didn't need to be pulled, change the oil and filter. (Needed to change from 5w-30 to 40 anyways).

In the instructions it denotes that some MY14 3D's don't drain oil from oil filter housing shroud. I knew mine did, but wasn't draining with the ECM out. So I thought...hell maybe just installing the ECM without turning the ignition to on or anything (didn't want to start it or turn it to run because I knew it would throw a code for the re-mapping of the oil pressure sensor). So I switched gears, and installed the updated ECM. Didn't turn the ignition at all. Just re installed it and plugged it back in.

Sure enough, oil drained from filter housing after that. Did sensor, started truck, no codes, no CEL's. and had an accurate oil pressure.

Other than that, I've now got a little more peace of mind just knowing the parameters for low oil pressure have been remapped to err on the side of caution, and was relatively surprised at how much higher the oil pressure can climb, even when the engine is completely warmed up.
I'm a little confused (nothing new). Are you saying the oil filter housing wasn't draining until after you installed the ECM? That doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm a little confused (nothing new). Are you saying the oil filter housing wasn't draining until after you installed the ECM? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. I told Matt @GDE about it too, and it didn't sound like an issue they had encountered. But yes. It definitely wasn't me just not waiting long enough...the oil would not drain until I plugged the ECM back in

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. I told Matt @GDE about it too, and it didn't sound like an issue they had encountered. But yes. It definitely wasn't me just not waiting long enough...the oil would not drain until I plugged the ECM back in
Very strange indeed since it's a mechanical check valve in the filter housing. Perhaps the valve was initially sticking and let loose after some time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Very strange indeed since it's a mechanical check valve in the filter housing. Perhaps the valve was initially sticking and let loose after some time.
I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer...but...is it possible that although the check valve is mechanical and not electronically commanded...it still requires some criteria to be met to actuate, and potentially one of those requirements could be electronically controlled? (e.g. Negative pressure/vacuum pressure must amount to (x)psig for it to operate)

But yeah it may have just been stuck and freed up after it cooled down.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts