RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know anyone’s experience with a full delete (EGR, DEF, CAT) and the GDE off road tune to go with it. Any noticeable increase in HP, TQ or MPG ? GDE feel free to chime in. With all the benefits of the tune is a full delete even worth it ?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
only my personal opinion , but NO ,, with GDE " Hot Tune " no need to delete anything , (( compared to the Off Road tune ))
keep looking at the coolant bottle , and one day when the EGR cooler fails , just remove that part ,
and install a stage 2 EGR cooler delete kit , the GDE Hot Tune is already compatible with that mod .
if you don't want to use DEF , no problem the Hot Tune is compatible with you using distilled water instead of DEF
(( but not in the winter months )) .
by GDE ; "We disable EGR electronically by commanding the valve to stay shut all the time.
Valve shut = no egr flow and no more heat load through the egr cooler. Block off
plates are for tuners that do not know how to command the egr to stay closed.
Our solution is much cleaner as you do not need to change anything mechanical
on the engine."

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
DogeRam, welcome to the forum.

GDE has posted in the past that you don't really gain any performance from the offroad tune and emissions delete over the standard hot tune. The only reason I would delete the exhaust emissions is if they were giving me problems. Until then I'll enjoy being smoke and odor free.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have read individual claims of better MPG (1-2) with the full delete however no gain in power. Agree no need unless EGR/Exhaust issues.

The EGR delete kit and aftermarket turbo back exhaust delete pipes are expensive and not worth doing unless/until failure requires replacements of said part AND truck out of warranty.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does the GDE tune reduce "stress" on the EGR Cooler? Thus, making it potentially last longer?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Any noticeable increase in HP, TQ or MPG ?
Of course I've noticed a difference from the stock tune. But I don't see that I'm doing any better than the folks with the non-delete tune. The only savings is that I no longer buy DEF. But that savings is not that much in the big scheme of things. And it will stink up the joint if you're idling and there's no wind.

Does the GDE tune reduce "stress" on the EGR Cooler? Thus, making it potentially last longer?
I have not had any problems out of the EGR cooler at 90K with the GDE tune. But I do plan to delete it soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Once my truck is out of warranty I will do a full delete. I don’t want the extra fuel burn of regens or the heat. Getting the exhaust restrictions out doesn’t hurt either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
If you later have to step up from a regular tune to a full delete (EGR cooler failure, plugged catalytic converter etc) it only requires a $50 software upgrade. You can drop the factory exhaust clean it out with a rod and re-assemble. You don’t need to buy aftermarket pipes. Plus potentially the 3 EGR cooler block off plates.

“Does the GDE tune reduce "stress" on the EGR Cooler? Thus, making it potentially last longer?” Doubt it but if & when you go to a EGR cooler delete it should take some cooling load off your radiator (and indirectly oil cooler) cooling system.

Reactions: pqw3413

·
Registered
232 Posts
For me, I noticed a difference in each stage. Stock, Hot Tune, Offroad Tune and then when the EGR fell off. Each stage the turbo lag was reduced (I know GDE says there shouldn't be any difference in Hot and offroad but I did notice it), fuel mileage etc. When I hit that bad pot hole and the egr fell off I noticed my cooling numbers were a little better in normal and towing conditions. As someone said you will smell the diesel if you do a full delete, I suggest adding the pre-filter under hood to help if there isn't any wind.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Most of my trips are less than 15 miles. Getting a full delete does away with the need to watch regen heat and shutting down during a regen. Full delete also is cleaner on the oil, less turbo heat from regen. If your warranty is gone then go full delete.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why would you smell diesel with a full delete opposed to just electronically shutting down the EGR? Or when you say full delete are you talking DPF & DEF along with EGR?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Why would you smell diesel with a full delete opposed to just electronically shutting down the EGR? Or when you say full delete are you talking DPF & DEF along with EGR?
I believe it's referencing the odor at the tailpipe. One of the reasons I'll drag my feet when it comes to deleting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you later have to step up from a regular tune to a full delete (EGR cooler failure, plugged catalytic converter etc) it only requires a $50 software upgrade. You can drop the factory exhaust clean it out with a rod and re-assemble. You don’t need to buy aftermarket pipes. Plus potentially the 3 EGR cooler block off plates.

“Does the GDE tune reduce "stress" on the EGR Cooler? Thus, making it potentially last longer?” Doubt it but if & when you go to a EGR cooler delete it should take some cooling load off your radiator (and indirectly oil cooler) cooling system.
If you later have to step up from a regular tune to a full delete (EGR cooler failure, plugged catalytic converter etc) it only requires a $50 software upgrade. You can drop the factory exhaust clean it out with a rod and re-assemble. You don’t need to buy aftermarket pipes.

• If you later have to step up from a regular tune to a full delete (EGR cooler failure, plugged catalytic converter etc) it only requires a $50 software upgrade. You can drop the factory exhaust clean it out with a rod and re-assemble. You don’t need to buy aftermarket pipes. Plus potentially the 3 EGR cooler block off plates.
    hello VernDiesel,
  • I would like to go your rout as just upgrade to delete tune and take the gut of the filter out, so the SCR still stay and it work without any issues? Really appreciate if you tell me more about your experiences.
  • DEGODEN

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
@ degoden ,
$50 software update was true when GDE was still doing business with U.S.A.
customers , now you would have to pay for a complete tune at full price from
HD diesel supply in Canada , ( unless they are the Canadian branch of GDE , doubt it ...)
or the other US tuner ( Sofa ) , that tune is different from GDE and HD ,
" less refined " to quote GDE .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts