RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the same boat bought a used ED that had the GDE tune already on it and want to save it. My plan is to buy a used ECM and use either a Kess V2 or KTag unit to clone my ECM and also dump the tune to a file for safe keeping. Emailed GDE today to see if I can just buy a bone stock ECM from them with stock FCA tune on it and they said nope. Not really fond of the support from GDE to be honest, but I do like the Hot tune. If people shelled out for the tune and GDE is now in hot water they should do something to make it right for the people who bought it.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
In the same boat bought a used ED that had the GDE tune already on it and want to save it. My plan is to buy a used ECM and use either a Kess V2 or KTag unit to clone my ECM and also dump the tune to a file for safe keeping. Emailed GDE today to see if I can just buy a bone stock ECM from them with stock FCA tune on it and they said nope. Not really fond of the support from GDE to be honest, but I do like the Hot tune. If people shelled out for the tune and GDE is now in hot water they should do something to make it right for the people who bought it.
What do you think they should do???

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
As long as gde returned cash and ecus they are fine. My bet is they are getting a cease and desist and probably a healthy fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I feel that they should compensate any who purchased the tune either monetarily or provide a stock tuned ECM to any affected users for free. This would only be fair if they can no longer re-flash or provide the hot tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
I feel that they should compensate any who purchased the tune either monetarily or provide a stock tuned ECM to any affected users for free. This would only be fair if they can no longer re-flash or provide the hot tune.

I never thought that was included in the cost of the tune.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I never thought that was included in the cost of the tune.
Well you’re right it is not included. However you essentially loose the ability to send your ECM back for the re-tune if it gets updated by the dealer. So that $699 for the basic tune you spent is gone forever if the dealer re-flashes. Yes you have to pay $50 for them to re-flash it again but at least you can get it back. Now anyone who has it that chose not to keep a stock ECM is stuck for good with the chance of loosing it forever if the company goes underwater and doesn’t return. I emailed them even offering to pay full price for a stock ECM with stock tune and they can’t do it. Not sure how the EPA can stop them from doing that. Basically every time I emailed them I got a one word reply back. No apologies, no nothing. The least they can do is say something like; Unfortunately the EPA is stopping us from selling our tunes for the moment, however rest assured we will do our best to resolve this and continue to support our current users within the EPA’s new guidelines. We’re sorry for any inconvenience. As a business owner myself, this is just poor customer service.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Well you’re right it is not included. However you essentially loose the ability to send your ECM back for the re-tune if it gets updated by the dealer. So that $699 for the basic tune you spent is gone forever if the dealer re-flashes. Yes you have to pay $50 for them to re-flash it again but at least you can get it back. Now anyone who has it that chose not to keep a stock ECM is stuck for good with the chance of loosing it forever if the company goes underwater and doesn’t return. I emailed them even offering to pay full price for a stock ECM with stock tune and they can’t do it. Not sure how the EPA can stop them from doing that. Basically every time I emailed them I got a one word reply back. No apologies, no nothing. The least they can do is say something like; Unfortunately the EPA is stopping us from selling our tunes for the moment, however rest assured we will do our best to resolve this and continue to support our current users within the EPA’s new guidelines. We’re sorry for any inconvenience. As a business owner myself, this is just poor customer service.

I can appreciate your concern. I do think they will do what they can within EPA guidelines. I think in order to get a stock ECM, even GDE has to see a dealer to get it programmed. I hope things work out for everyone with a tune. In the meantime perhaps you can ask the dealer not to provide any updates to your ECM. Others have requested the same with positive results.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can appreciate your concern. I do think they will do what they can within EPA guidelines. I think in order to get a stock ECM, even GDE has to see a dealer to get it programmed. I hope things work out for everyone with a tune. In the meantime perhaps you can ask the dealer not to provide any updates to your ECM. Others have requested the same with positive results.
I hear ya, unfortunately like many others here on this forum. I don’t trust the dealers, I used to be a mechanic and worked for several dealers and know how they operate. Not saying they are all that way, you can find some good dealers, but they are far and few between. Also with this EPA crackdown what’s to say the dealers aren’t automatically going to start flashing all eco diesel trucks by default when you bring them in, regardless of if the customer says not to? I will find a way around this and try and keep my tune safe. The methods that will need to be employed to do so however will be beyond the reach of the average consumer. When I get it figured out I will be happy to share how it can be achieved for the benefit of the Ecodiesel community. It’s too bad this had to happen.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
I hear ya, unfortunately like many others here on this forum. I don’t trust the dealers, I used to be a mechanic and worked for several dealers and know how they operate. Not saying they are all that way, you can find some good dealers, but they are far and few between. Also with this EPA crackdown what’s to say the dealers aren’t automatically going to start flashing all eco diesel trucks by default when you bring them in, regardless of if the customer says not to? I will find a way around this and try and keep my tune safe. The methods that will need to be employed to do so however will be beyond the reach of the average consumer. When I get it figured out I will be happy to share how it can be achieved for the benefit of the Ecodiesel community. It’s too bad this had to happen.

You could tow your truck to a dealer minus the ECM and buy a new one and have it programmed stock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
True I could, but I’m sure that would cost more than the tools I found that should be able to bench flash and clone a used ECM. If all goes well I should be able to achieve a clone of my
GDE ECM for about $280 including the price of a used ECM. I am ordering the things I need as we speak. Plus I do like a challenge, but a bit miffed at the spot this puts everyone in unnecessarily.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
True I could, but I’m sure that would cost more than the tools I found that should be able to bench flash and clone a used ECM. If all goes well I should be able to achieve a clone of my
GDE ECM for about $280 including the price of a used ECM. I am ordering the things I need as we speak. Plus I do like a challenge, but a bit miffed at the spot this puts everyone in unnecessarily.

If you succeed in programming the Vin , and injector codes to a module ,
could you help out the guys in that thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66602-programming-new-ecm-ed-alphaobd.html

they are trying to accomplish exactly that , maybe you have the tidbit of info they need to complete this .
not really hoping to save a GDE Hot Tune to a file , but just buying a used stock ECM and making it work with your truck would
be a victory for all those who elected not to keep their stock ECM when getting the GDE Hot Tune.
keep us informed please :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you succeed in programming the Vin , and injector codes to a module ,
could you help out the guys in that thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66602-programming-new-ecm-ed-alphaobd.html

they are trying to accomplish exactly that , maybe you have the tidbit of info they need to complete this .
not really hoping to save a GDE Hot Tune to a file , but just buying a used stock ECM and making it work with your truck would
be a victory for all those who elected not to keep their stock ECM when getting the GDE Hot Tune.
keep us informed please :)
Will do, going to experiment with a used ECM and programming tool I bought and I will let everyone know what happens. My theory is it would be easier to clone your GDE tuned ECM to a new or used donor ECM since the Correct VIN# and injector codes already exists on it. If the dealer flashes it after the fact then it just becomes a stock ECM again. But I would like the option of flashing my current tune to a new ECM also in the case that the ECM fails etc. it seems the injector codes can be programmed but the VIN# is the issue. With that mismatch the SKIM module essentially locks the vehicle from starting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think I'm going to talk with a lawyer about what I can put in writing to have the dealer/service dept manage sign to agree NOT to touch the ECM. Some kind of penalty that will make sure they understand AND make sure the mechanic that touches the truck that there will be damages paid if the ECM is changed. If they don't want to sign it, then I will find a dealer that will.

Think about it. If you have a custom paint job on your truck and you want them to change the oil, they sure as heck will be in a lot of trouble if they decide to repaint the truck just because they can, when you take it in for a oil change. Sure, a stretch, but "I own the truck, NOT them and they better do MY requested service and NOT what they want to do".

I'll see what a lawyer thinks might be workable.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
I think I'm going to talk with a lawyer about what I can put in writing to have the dealer/service dept manage sign to agree NOT to touch the ECM. Some kind of penalty that will make sure they understand AND make sure the mechanic that touches the truck that there will be damages paid if the ECM is changed. If they don't want to sign it, then I will find a dealer that will.

Think about it. If you have a custom paint job on your truck and you want them to change the oil, they sure as heck will be in a lot of trouble if they decide to repaint the truck just because they can, when you take it in for a oil change. Sure, a stretch, but "I own the truck, NOT them and they better do MY requested service and NOT what they want to do".

https://www.bem-auto.com/product/universal-tune-saver/4

·
Registered
626 Posts

I know several good lawyers, none of them work for free though.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts