RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GDE is about to release their 2020+ Ecodiesel tune. Here are a few highlights posted by GDE. I will update this top post as new updates come in.

Please see this link for more tuning details: 2020MY+ Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator w/ Gen 3 EcoDiesel 3.0L V6 - Green Diesel Engineering

"GDE will launch the Gen3 49 state at first. CARB is changing the application/certification process, implementation next January. GDE will wait until that is all settled before applying"

"The fuel economy data is generated in the same manner as Stellantis did it when certifying with EPA. The following tests have to be run and then there is some averaging, contribution ratios, etc. in the EPA formula to arrive at the final fuel economy label. The tests GDE does are: FTP75, HWFEC, US06 and SC03. The ftp is more city cycle, highway fuel economy is around 40-60 mph, US06 is high speed and aggressive accelerations, SC03 is city driving with AC on, lab at 95 F with a large solar load. The factory results are available online through EPA. GDE outsources the testing to a cert lab in metro Detroit. It can be directly compared to factory."

"GDE modifies the combustion cycle, pilot 1, pilot 2, main, post 1, post 2 injections to optimize the burn for low CO2, this maximizes the fuel economy. The competitor tunes focus on power and turning off egr. There is no need to turn off the egr on the Gen3 engine. There is a high pressure egr loop and a low pressure egr loop. GDE is using the low pressure egr 99% of the time. This pulls egr from after the dpf and there is no soot in it. In this manner, the vehicle can be clean and fuel efficient along with a solid jump in performance when needed."

"When GDE releases, it will be a bench flash ecm/pcm tune and a handheld PG3 OBD tool for the trans. The goal will be to have the flash tool tuning the engine in the future. The ecm will need to be hipped in to tune. It will mean a day or two of downtime."

"We are seeing 7-10% gain in fuel economy. 45hp, 80 ftlb torque."

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting, thank for the update.
If I understand correctly, GDE will wait till after the new CARB process in January before it is released? That could make it available sometime in early 2022?
Also, I'm a bit in the fog about the last statement.. my biorhythms must need a reboot. I don't get the two day downtime statement--is this after the user flashes the ECM with the handheld.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Interesting that they changed their mind on CARB. Last I spoke with him, he said they wouldn't be doing CARB because it's just too ridiculous of a process to go through.

I'd love to know how often the factory tune uses the low pressure EGR because we've already seen that the MAP sensor on these engines gets sooted up quickly just like the old Gen 2 engine used to do. These don't really seem to run that much cleaner, which is why so many people want to run with the EGR off.

Reactions: TumaloKeith

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interesting, thank for the update.
If I understand correctly, GDE will wait till after the new CARB process in January before it is released? That could make it available sometime in early 2022?
Also, I'm a bit in the fog about the last statement.. my biorhythms must need a reboot. I don't get the two day downtime statement--is this after the user flashes the ECM with the handheld.
it will be a bench flash ecm/pcm tune
The ecm will need to be hipped in to tune

From these 2 statements it sounds like the ECM will have to be shipped to GDE to be tuned, and they may not be able to set up a "new" ECM for you like they did in the past, it may have to go on the factory ECM from the truck. Perhaps FCA/Stellantis found a way to "lock" the ECM and truck together so it will only run on the stock ECM.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From these 2 statements it sounds like the ECM will have to be shipped to GDE to be tuned, and they may not be able to set up a "new" ECM for you like they did in the past, it may have to go on the factory ECM from the truck. Perhaps FCA/Stellantis found a way to "lock" the ECM and truck together so it will only run on the stock ECM.
One of their main competitors is selling ECUs pre-tuned. You just order from them, they ship the ECU with the tunes already loaded, and you swap them out in the driveway at home. Simple as pie, and has the bonus of giving you the stock ECU to hang onto for dealer visits.

That's the way it should be done until the tuning vendor can get a flash tool ready to use.

Having said that, I still trust GDE more than other companies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm an utter noob when it comes to tuning, so this is likely a stupid question--is it possible to have a tune with selectable presets for power vs mpg? Based on the blurb about the competition, sounds like GDE's focused on mpg while the competition is focused on power. Couldn't you have a tune that can toggle between the two?

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm an utter noob when it comes to tuning, so this is likely a stupid question--is it possible to have a tune with selectable presets for power vs mpg? Based on the blurb about the competition, sounds like GDE's focused on mpg while the competition is focused on power. Couldn't you have a tune that can toggle between the two?
GDE (Green Diesel Engineering), as the name reflects, is focused on efficiency. Efficiency means that you're optimizing the combustion for a cleaner burn, best fuel economy, and engine longevity. GDE doesn't exceed the OE safety parameters. So, when you get the GDE tune, you're getting a tune that stays within the manufacturer's safety parameters. GDE does have some tuning options with his 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel tuning such as 'towing mode' or 'sport mode'. The big difference is that GDE will be EPA certified.

If you want more flexible tuning, then going with another tuner might be your best choice.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"We are seeing 7-10% gain in fuel economy. 45hp, 80 ftlb torque." - GDE

Reactions: habu987

·
Registered
991 Posts
Can't wait for it to be available for my 2021. Hopefully options (high idle, regen message, turbo brake) will be available. The bench flash is definitely a downside, especially for us north of the 49th. Lived through those pains for the first few years on my 2016.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't wait for it to be available for my 2021. Hopefully options (high idle, regen message, turbo brake) will be available. The bench flash is definitely a downside, especially for us north of the 49th. Lived through those pains for the first few years on my 2016.
I can't imagine another 45 horsepower and 80 ft-lb of torque. That would be awesome.

I paid $50 dollars more for the optional 'regen message' on my 2015 tune. It may be useful information, but it can also be annoying.

I'm okay with a bench flash tune as long as I have the stock ECM. Is that still possible?

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Welcome to the forum, first post.

Check out MRtuning for shift on the fly tuning, you can select between high HP for performance or lower HP for towing. You would have to try them all out to see where the best mpg is for your driving style.

Reactions: keiths487too

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good news , finally we got something :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm surprised at the 80 lb/ft bump. GDE had been saying they specifically weren't going for power, they were going for efficiency. How did they end up at MORE power than all the competitors? LOL. This tune is going to be SWEET.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm surprised at the 80 lb/ft bump. GDE had been saying they specifically weren't going for power, they were going for efficiency. How did they end up at MORE power than all the competitors? LOL. This tune is going to be SWEET.
It's possible that the power/torque numbers will be different for the Ram vs Gladiator.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the 2nd gen, their increases were quoted at the wheels. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, the numbers are even more impressive.
That's correct. Here's the 2014 - 2019 Gen II engine measured at the wheels.

ProductionGDE EPA Compliant Tune
217 hp @ 3550 rpm250 hp @ 3550 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm455 lb-ft @ 2540 rpm

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,186 Posts
That's correct. Here's the 2014 - 2019 Gen II engine measured at the wheels.

ProductionGDE EPA Compliant Tune
217 hp @ 3550 rpm250 hp @ 3550 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm455 lb-ft @ 2540 rpm
Curious about this... for the original hot tune they advertised stock was 360 foot pounds at the wheels and tune was 420 ish didnt they? So the AEM tune makes more power than the old stock tune? And the Emissions compliant GDE tune makes more power than the original GDE Hot Tune???? Ill consider myself a skeptic of that as well. These are numbers for the GEN II or III?

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are numbers for the GEN II or III?
These numbers are for the Gen II taken straight from the GDE website.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the graph for the Gen II engine:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts