RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

GDE Tuning (Updated 11/29/2021)

47K views 195 replies 41 participants last post by  RJS 
#1 · (Edited)
GDE tuning is available here: RAM Jeep EcoDiesel Street Legal Engine & Trans Tune - GDE (greendieselengineering.com)

GDE is about to release their 2020+ Ecodiesel tune. Here are a few highlights posted by GDE. I will update this top post as new updates come in.

Please see this link for more tuning details: 2020MY+ Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator w/ Gen 3 EcoDiesel 3.0L V6 - Green Diesel Engineering

"GDE will launch the Gen3 49 state at first. CARB is changing the application/certification process, implementation next January. GDE will wait until that is all settled before applying"

"The fuel economy data is generated in the same manner as Stellantis did it when certifying with EPA. The following tests have to be run and then there is some averaging, contribution ratios, etc. in the EPA formula to arrive at the final fuel economy label. The tests GDE does are: FTP75, HWFEC, US06 and SC03. The ftp is more city cycle, highway fuel economy is around 40-60 mph, US06 is high speed and aggressive accelerations, SC03 is city driving with AC on, lab at 95 F with a large solar load. The factory results are available online through EPA. GDE outsources the testing to a cert lab in metro Detroit. It can be directly compared to factory."

"GDE modifies the combustion cycle, pilot 1, pilot 2, main, post 1, post 2 injections to optimize the burn for low CO2, this maximizes the fuel economy. The competitor tunes focus on power and turning off egr. There is no need to turn off the egr on the Gen3 engine. There is a high pressure egr loop and a low pressure egr loop. GDE is using the low pressure egr 99% of the time. This pulls egr from after the dpf and there is no soot in it. In this manner, the vehicle can be clean and fuel efficient along with a solid jump in performance when needed."

"When GDE releases, it will be a bench flash ecm/pcm tune and a handheld PG3 OBD tool for the trans. The goal will be to have the flash tool tuning the engine in the future. The ecm will need to be hipped in to tune. It will mean a day or two of downtime."

"We are seeing 7-10% gain in fuel economy. 45hp, 80 ftlb torque."

"We have no timeline for a flash tool on the Gen3. It took those companies 4 years to have the flash tools working on Gen 2."

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting, thank for the update.
If I understand correctly, GDE will wait till after the new CARB process in January before it is released? That could make it available sometime in early 2022?
Also, I'm a bit in the fog about the last statement.. my biorhythms must need a reboot. I don't get the two day downtime statement--is this after the user flashes the ECM with the handheld.

#4 ·
Interesting, thank for the update.
If I understand correctly, GDE will wait till after the new CARB process in January before it is released? That could make it available sometime in early 2022?
Also, I'm a bit in the fog about the last statement.. my biorhythms must need a reboot. I don't get the two day downtime statement--is this after the user flashes the ECM with the handheld.
it will be a bench flash ecm/pcm tune
The ecm will need to be hipped in to tune

From these 2 statements it sounds like the ECM will have to be shipped to GDE to be tuned, and they may not be able to set up a "new" ECM for you like they did in the past, it may have to go on the factory ECM from the truck. Perhaps FCA/Stellantis found a way to "lock" the ECM and truck together so it will only run on the stock ECM.

#3 ·
Interesting that they changed their mind on CARB. Last I spoke with him, he said they wouldn't be doing CARB because it's just too ridiculous of a process to go through.

I'd love to know how often the factory tune uses the low pressure EGR because we've already seen that the MAP sensor on these engines gets sooted up quickly just like the old Gen 2 engine used to do. These don't really seem to run that much cleaner, which is why so many people want to run with the EGR off.

Reactions: TumaloKeith
#6 ·
I'm an utter noob when it comes to tuning, so this is likely a stupid question--is it possible to have a tune with selectable presets for power vs mpg? Based on the blurb about the competition, sounds like GDE's focused on mpg while the competition is focused on power. Couldn't you have a tune that can toggle between the two?

#7 ·
GDE (Green Diesel Engineering), as the name reflects, is focused on efficiency. Efficiency means that you're optimizing the combustion for a cleaner burn, best fuel economy, and engine longevity. GDE doesn't exceed the OE safety parameters. So, when you get the GDE tune, you're getting a tune that stays within the manufacturer's safety parameters. GDE does have some tuning options with his 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel tuning such as 'towing mode' or 'sport mode'. The big difference is that GDE will be EPA certified.

If you want more flexible tuning, then going with another tuner might be your best choice.

#8 ·
"We are seeing 7-10% gain in fuel economy. 45hp, 80 ftlb torque." - GDE

Reactions: habu987
#10 ·
I can't imagine another 45 horsepower and 80 ft-lb of torque. That would be awesome.

I paid $50 dollars more for the optional 'regen message' on my 2015 tune. It may be useful information, but it can also be annoying.

I'm okay with a bench flash tune as long as I have the stock ECM. Is that still possible?

#14 ·
I'm surprised at the 80 lb/ft bump. GDE had been saying they specifically weren't going for power, they were going for efficiency. How did they end up at MORE power than all the competitors? LOL. This tune is going to be SWEET.

Reactions: Roby
#15 ·
It's possible that the power/torque numbers will be different for the Ram vs Gladiator.

#20 ·
Here's the graph for the Gen II engine:

Reactions: RoamingRam
#25 · (Edited)
Those numbers posted for the EPA GDE tune are "interesting". That's showing about a 10% drivetrain loss for HP and ~3.5% for torque??? Most other dyno's have shown closer to a 20% loss.

Assuming a 20% drivetrain loss on the Gen 3, this would put the flywheel numbers at 316HP and 580FT/LBS of torque.

Really though, your butt feels what's get sent to the wheels, so that's all that really matters.

EDIT: Fixed numbers, stopped trusting my math skills for some reason

#107 ·
Interestingly my '02 7.3 PSD was 210/425 HP/TQ stock despite massive displacement. Now it is tuned with an upgraded Garrett turbo so way beyond an ED. My dad's '92 IDI was 185/338 and had 500k flawless miles when he sold it.

Amazing what technology has produced frankly however, no replacement for displacement and don't think any 3.0 could ever match the longevity of the 7.3

#27 ·
Another interesting note I see is the GDE page says Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator. IIRC the gen3 in the Wrangler and Gladiator are rated at 442lbft stock, vs the ram which is rated at 480 stock. If the heading of the GDE page is to be believed (and I see no reason why not) their tune covers all 3 vehicles which means it's a much more significant improvement for the jeep twins!

#28 ·
This is an EXCELLENT observation and I had the same question. I've always wondered what the specific change was that caps the Jeep pickup at 442, despite making the same horsepower as the Ram.

Maybe @GDE can shed some light on this for us?

I'd also like to know how they are keeping the Jeep versions cool with the added power. Running the fan more often? Heat has been a big deal in the cramped Jeep engine bay.

#30 ·
Gladiator suffers mostly from cooling, so it's possible that Jeep detuned the engine with cooling in mind. There's been discussion about the Jeep Gladiator having axle limits, thus reducing the amount of torque. Some have suggested that the pinion gear is the weak point. GDE did say this:

"The axles are fine on the Ram. The Jeep has limits on the axles. We could derate the tune on the Jeeps if customer wants. They could also control that with the foot/pedal.

Our competitor tunes overspeed the turbo, exceed cylinder pressure guidelines and exceed axle limits. Be careful what you buy, there are long term ramifications."

Reactions: nc_beagle
#31 ·
interesting note regarding the axles, I think the gladiator uses dana44s front and rear. While the dana44 might be "smaller" than the 9.25" rear in the ram, I guess I never considered it less capable (not sure how it compares to the ZF front diff). But I suppose everything has it's limits. Guess that gives guys a reason to do a dana60 swap ;)

I definitely would have guessed cooling, as others did. Or exhaust or intake restrictions (also mentioned), for example the hellcat in the TRX is 702hp (vs 707) because of the intake

#32 ·
Yeah my thought too. In fact I looked up the axle specs on both a few months ago and the max rating on the Ram and Jeep axles are VERY similar.

#33 ·
OK so I got confirmation that cloned ECUs and blank ECUs will NOT be accepted at this time. So you'll have to mail your stock ECU to them. That's the only way.

*Jeep calls it a "Powertrain Control Module" so from here on out I'll refer to it as the PCM. And, the Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, and Jeep Gladiator all use the same PCM for the diesel.

#35 ·
The 2014 - 2019 GDE tune has the handheld device. The 2020+ GDE tune does not have the handheld device. It's possible that GDE will release a handheld device for the 2020+ in the future.

#37 ·
I wonder if you could buy a new PCM, get it flashed to stock and then send your original PCM to GDE. It really sucks that we have to go through the effort of finding a workaround but it is what it is

#39 ·
There are also OBD warning covers and/or locks you can put on your OBD to detour and/or prevent the dealer from flashing over your tune.

#40 ·
A little more clarification from GDE this morning: "There is learned data in the stock ECM. Keep the cloned ECM to use as your stock one."

So he does, in fact, need the stock original PCM out of the truck to do the tuning. Why, I still don't know. But it is what it is....

Reactions: biodiesel
#41 ·
"Green Diesel Engineering is looking for Gen 3 tuning early adopters. You must be located in SE Michigan and able to drive to GDE to apply the tuning. The process will take about an hour, GDE is in Commerce Township. Call 248-977-9531 or send an email to support@greendieselengineering.com"

#42 ·
"We have no timeline for a flash tool on the Gen3. It took those companies 4 years to have the flash tools working on Gen 2." - GDE

#44 ·
Difference between Banks tuner and this GDE?.. same thing?
No, there are several differences. Reach out to GDE if you want to know some of those differences.

Reactions: NewLove
#47 ·
Yes, sir. There's no way to evade the EGR and be EPA approved.

Reactions: Captainmal