RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
161 - 180 of 196 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what route to go for tuning and/or deleting. I just want longer engine life and better power and economy.
I think everyone wants the same. I can tell you this, the factory tune sucks. At 1,200 miles, I drove my 2022 ED over to GDE and had their engine and transmission tune installed. Night and day difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running your ED with the emissions system intact. The GDE calibrations offer, among other improvements, combustion efficiency for reduced soot formation and reduced frequency of regeneration events plus reduced soot loading in the engine oil. I recall reading the GDE solution makes much better use of the low-pressure EGR.

I don't know if the claims for improved MPG are factual since one's driving style plays into that. Last summer, the wife and I took a 3,000 mile trip and we average 32.6 MPG for the entire trip. I also ran Hot Shot's EDT for lubricity for the HPFP.

I'm trying to figure out what route to go for tuning and/or deleting. I just want longer engine life and better power and economy.
I will put my .02 in here. I just got done installing the GDE tune also, and my 2022 ECO Diesel had just a tad over 2700 miles on it. Just pulled a trailer for first time since I owned the truck. Trailer is 7x14x7 feet high, tandem axle all aluminum with a 600-pound snowmobile in it. average temp outside was 24 degrees F. So, you can imagine the wind resistance. Running in the 4 lanes at 75 mph into a Northwest wind. Truck did great. But the tune wakes the truck up with different shift parameters. Sure, does not seem lazy anymore. Will know in some time what fuel mileage will be without a trailer. I probably had about the worse conditions you could ask for also for the first time using GDE tune too. Ask me if I would do this again??????? More than likely>>>>I will be doing an oil change this next week by myself and not the dealer either. Oil is black now and we will see what the oil looks like after the next 6 to 7 thousand miles. Wanted to do an earlier oil change also. Just a hair over 3 thousand miles now.

I myself would not delete anything but you're in Canada so you probably have a few more choices>>>>

What are your thoughts on Malone and Cooper Custom Solutions? Local mechanics are using them. Would you say EOC is superior?
You must be in AB. I was using CCS for about a year. I started having turbo surge issues. They sent me numerous tune files but nothing helped. They claimed it was mechanical. Changed out MAP sensor and didn't help. Then decided to factory reset my ECM and TCM and loaded an EOC tune and been smooth sailing since. So the issue was definitely tuning. CCS does good cummins tunes but the ecodiesel is a totally different animal and I don't think they have it figured out.

Reactions: david.jachin
I think everyone wants the same. I can tell you this, the factory tune sucks. At 1,200 miles, I drove my 2022 ED over to GDE and had their engine and transmission tune installed. Night and day difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running your ED with the emissions system intact. The GDE calibrations offer, among other improvements, combustion efficiency for reduced soot formation and reduced frequency of regeneration events plus reduced soot loading in the engine oil. I recall reading the GDE solution makes much better use of the low-pressure EGR.

I don't know if the claims for improved MPG are factual since one's driving style plays into that. Last summer, the wife and I took a 3,000 mile trip and we average 32.6 MPG for the entire trip. I also ran Hot Shot's EDT for lubricity for the HPFP.
Not many if any would say GDE isn't the best tune around. I won't deny it. The problem, even a normal functioning emissions systems will have some failures. And with the already parts delays I can't imagine having my truck sit at the stealership for weeks or months for yet another sensor replacement.

Reactions: david.jachin
You must be in AB. I was using CCS for about a year. I started having turbo surge issues. They sent me numerous tune files but nothing helped. They claimed it was mechanical. Changed out MAP sensor and didn't help. Then decided to factory reset my ECM and TCM and loaded an EOC tune and been smooth sailing since. So the issue was definitely tuning. CCS does good cummins tunes but the ecodiesel is a totally different animal and I don't think they have it figured out.
Thanks. This helps a lot. I’m in SK. It’s good to hear others’ experience with some of these tunes.

Discussion starter · #166 ·
Not many if any would say GDE isn't the best tune around. I won't deny it. The problem, even a normal functioning emissions systems will have some failures. And with the already parts delays I can't imagine having my truck sit at the stealership for weeks or months for yet another sensor replacement.
There's not a shortage of emissions components since those parts rarely fail. The parts that are difficult to source are those that have either been recalled or have a high failure rate.

Reactions: 1shadowsabre
There's not a shortage of emissions components since those parts rarely fail. The parts that are difficult to source are those that have either been recalled or have a high failure rate.
Not true. There's plenty of diesels sitting at service centers awaiting EGR/DPF replacements as we speak. Two of which are family members. Granted one is a duramax, other is a cummins.

Discussion starter · #168 ·
Not true. There's plenty of diesels sitting at service centers awaiting EGR/DPF replacements as we speak. Two of which are family members. Granted one is a duramax, other is a cummins.
We are talking about the EcoDiesel, not the Cummins or Duramax. Outside of recalls, we (forum members) are not seeing a lot of emissions component failures on these trucks. And when we do, the parts are available. Even GDE said the emission system can last 300,000 miles on these trucks (best case scenario).

If you're going to make a good argument to go with a delete tune, then you need to focus on the real issue, which is the cost to replace sensors, line pumps, DPF, EGR cooler, etc. outside of warranty.

I bought my 2015 and 2020 trucks new. I've seen a lot of people on this forum come and go. It sure seems to me that most people keep a vehicle for no more than 4 - 5 years before they sell/trade. If that's the case, then most people won't have to worry about too many failed parts. It's people like me, who plan to keep their trucks for 20+ years, that need to worry.

Here's a "FWIW/Your Mileage May Vary" comment...

This time of year I'm driving around 3000 to 5000 miles a month visiting customers - mostly highway and when not on the highway I'm on country roads. In other words, very little suburban or urban driving. Since mid-January my 2021 @GDE tuned truck is doing a Regen about every 1000 to 1100 miles. I have the Regen Message option on my tune so I can keep track of the Regen events and the active Regen message has popped up at no less than the 1000 mile mark.

There may be passive Regens happening that don't trip the Regen message on the EVIC (not sure about that on the Gen3 engines, for sure didn't do that on my Gen2) but in any case I'm very pleased with how the @GDE tune is performing.

As I said above, YMMV.

Bob

Reactions: Bounty Hunter
Hey everyone - Curious to hear a more recent review of the GDE tune. I'm considering making the purchase for my 2020 EcoDiesel, but some of the complaints about the trans tune (particularly at low speeds) that I've found both here and on some Jeep forums have me a little hesitant. Most of these posts and complaints are from a couple years ago when things were still very new. Any updates or improvements since then?

I was happy before the update, but with the v3 version I think 99% of people will be thrilled. I have a video floating around of the first version.... It's even smoother now.

FYI, the trans tune is nearly my favorite part of the setup. Compared to a few others I've tried it's fantastic. I despise going back to stock for dealer visits.

Hey everyone - Curious to hear a more recent review of the GDE tune. I'm considering making the purchase for my 2020 EcoDiesel, but some of the complaints about the trans tune (particularly at low speeds) that I've found both here and on some Jeep forums have me a little hesitant. Most of these posts and complaints are from a couple years ago when things were still very new. Any updates or improvements since then?
Interesting first post, welcome.

I've had GDE transmission tuning for years and love it. I'm not familiar with any complaints.

I was happy before the update, but with the v3 version I think 99% of people will be thrilled. I have a video floating around of the first version.... It's even smoother now.

FYI, the trans tune is nearly my favorite part of the setup. Compared to a few others I've tried it's fantastic. I despise going back to stock for dealer visits.
What do you have to do to go back to stock then back to tune? What if you forget?

That was going to be my next question. Have you had any issues with your dealer? I'm just shy of 50K miles so I have a ways to go before the factory warranty on the engine and emissions system is up. I chatted with GDE a bit through email and they claim the tune "can't be seen" by the dealer and haven't heard of any warranty problems due to it. Still makes me a bit nervous. Did you go the dual ECM route where you have one stock and one tuned and then swap them out or no?

Thanks for the quick reply everyone!

That was going to be my next question. Have you had any issues with your dealer? I'm just shy of 50K miles so I have a ways to go before the factory warranty on the engine and emissions system is up. I chatted with GDE a bit through email and they claim the tune "can't be seen" by the dealer and haven't heard of any warranty problems due to it. Still makes me a bit nervous. Did you go the dual ECM route where you have one stock and one tuned and then swap them out or no?

I tuned the truck when it was brand new and did not have a back-up ecm, never an issue with warranty work. Dealer never balked over my catch can nor my AGS delete and oil cooler.

These days, it's easy to load the stock tune back to the truck for dealer visits. The dealer can not tell you were tuned.

As noted in my post above, the @GDE tune on my '21 has been fantastic. I did get a second ECM so if I need to go to the dealer I just swap in the original ECM and reflash the transmission back to the stock tune using the handheld tuner. When service work is complete I'll put the @GDE ECM back in, reflash the trans to the GDE tune and carry on.

Having the 2nd ECM ensures the GDE tune won't be overwritten by the dealer and guarantees the dealer will never see the truck's tune, avoiding the potential to open the door to warranty denials - though I seriously doubt that would ever happen anyway.

I loved the GDE tune in my previous truck - a 2014 Laramie Longhorn - and couldn't wait to put the tune on my '21. Just towed our 29 foot travel trailer from storage in W. Pennsylvania to home and averaged just under 13mpg's in the hills of PA and into a 20mph headwind on I-80/I-76 in Ohio. More than happy with GDE's tune and can't recommend it enough.

Bob

Discussion starter · #180 ·
Reactions: keiths487too
161 - 180 of 196 Posts