RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 2018 Eco 4x4 with 22000 miles 3.92 gears. Plans are to do a 4" lift 35 tires. Right now it's bone stock but has had the egr recall.

Now for what tune to use. I know the basics of both and what they do. What I'm looking for is mileage and power out of the tune. From what I have been reading is GDE will be my best choice for this. Was hoping some of you could maybe give me your input as well as mpg with similar setups.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll be happy with either.

The GDE package includes the trans tune, which makes a HUGE difference in performance. Definitely get the trans tune if you go with MRtuning. At least consider their trans tune when comparing the two tuners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely going with a trans tune with whatever one I pick. I think they are both very comparable but GDE offers the better mileage. Yet MRTuning offers egr shut off so a plus and minus to both.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Definitely going with a trans tune with whatever one I pick. I think they are both very comparable but GDE offers the better mileage. Yet MRTuning offers egr shut off so a plus and minus to both.
How do you figure GDE offers better mileage? Customer reviews?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Been reading a lot on multiple forums and fb over the last few weeks. Decided to finally ask about it though and see what people had to say about recent tunes. Not a ton out there for the newer gde epa compliant one.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I've actually had the opportunity to compare the tune files from GDE, MRTuning, SFT, Reckless Motorsports and PPEI. I recently reviewed Mrtuning's 60hp tune. Mrtuning's file is very similar to SFTs, which I'm sure will come to a surprise to many. MRtuning has only very basic modifications made to fuel, timing, and slightly increased injector duty cycles in the upper end of the RPM range. Boost is actually lower than GDEs and SFT's. The biggest surprise to me was the pilot and post injection maps are unchanged, the same sooty amount of injections/timing as stock which is also what SFT uses. The tune is however smooth, and performs well.

I can't speak for their lesser HP tunes, however.

GDE doesn't have quite as much power, but they have re-engineered the pilot and post injections and optimized them to reduce wasted fuel and provide the cleanest burn and better fuel economy. You will get better fuel economy and produce less soot than MRTuning if you go with GDE. I haven't looked at the newer GDE tune. However, based on their previous tune I'm assuming much of what they had before has moved into the EPA compliant tune. The main thing they needed to do was re-introduce the EGR. They advertise having much less soot than stock, so I imagine the pilot and post injections have been optimized like previous tunes.

If you're looking for the most power, Reckless Motorsports new tune is a step above the others are as far as power and response goes. I have yet to do full comparisons, but will be starting on those this week. We'll see how it performs to the others. I know the pilot and post injections are modified and not stock, so I'm assuming it to get better fuel economy than SFT and MRtuning, not sure about GDE though. But we will see as the increased power may make up for any fuel economy gains. I am dedicating about 10 hours a week to these comparisons for the next few months.

·
Vendor
1,337 Posts
It is no surprise MR Tuning and SFT are similar, they both get files from optimal remap in Bulgaria. They are base tune files that have no engineering in them at all. Let me know what you find with Reckless Motorsports. The owner of that company bought a used GDE tune last fall and started asking us a bunch of questions about it. I have a good idea he stole our tune. If you see similarities, I am all ears and will sue him for copywrite infringement. The vast majority of these tuning companies do not do their own development.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 2018 Eco 4x4 with 22000 miles 3.92 gears. Plans are to do a 4" lift 35 tires. Right now it's bone stock but has had the egr recall.

Now for what tune to use. I know the basics of both and what they do. What I'm looking for is mileage and power out of the tune. From what I have been reading is GDE will be my best choice for this. Was hoping some of you could maybe give me your input as well as mpg with similar setups.
Just a little FYI on the lift, the cost of a 6 inch lift is normally not much more than a 4 inch and the amount of labor is the same. I didnt know if you knew that or not and just wanted let you know that you could do the 6 inch lift for roughly the same amount as the 4 inch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It’s quite amusing listening to guys say they do their own files when they don’t own a dyno and purchase files from the same source.

If people don’t have a great deal of respect for the hours that GDE has put into dyno runs, data logging and real world testing they should.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4
19 Posts
Another choice in tunes is HD Diesel out of Canada. They offer an emissions intact tune if you still have warranty left and need the ability to flash back to the original software. I'm running it on my 2018 and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. You have helped and made the decision a little harder lol. But some very good info in all that. Both MRTuning and Reckless turn off egr and I know thats a huge advantage in longevity. I need to be able to flash back to stock till factory warranty is up. Reckless only offers ecu tuning so would have to buy a second ecu to be able to go back to stock.

Gputah your youtube videos have helped a lot but you didn't have anything recent with Reckless or MRTuning.

The reason for a 4 over a 6 is kind of mileage and tire size. I'll be running Bils as well so should end up around 5 on the lift and I only want to run a max of 35 tires. But with 3.92s I might get better mileage with 37s. I know it's crazy to think mileage with a truck but thats a huge advantage to theses ecos.

As for HD Diesel, it was my understanding they are just selling GDE tunes. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It’s quite amusing listening to guys say they do their own files when they don’t own a dyno and purchase files from the same source.

If people don’t have a great deal of respect for the hours that GDE has put into dyno runs, data logging and real world testing they should.
MR Tuning does actually have a dyno in their shop though. (At least their new one.) There's pictures on facebook.

Also, while @Gputah is correct that there's not a lot going on with the MR Tunes, they have a "unique" way of handling DTC's that points to a different source than SFT.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What's your thoughts on def turned off but not full delete?
It's one less thing that you have to worry about failing. You can delete DEF electronically without having to change your exhaust. I have tunes with DEF intact and deleted and can't tell a difference in the exhaust smell or dirtiness. But I don't see DEF being that big of an issue. We've got truck stops nearby with DEF at the pumps. If acquiring DEF is more difficult it might be worth it for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want full delete with changed out exhaust pipes to the muffler. Not really concerned about warranty. Was waiting on HD Diesel after GDE pulled full deletes. I also heard MR Tuning in Canada had a good deleted tune for the 2020 Generation EcoDiesel. Gputah, how about commenting on the HD Diesel tunes? I was told about HD directly from GDE when they were totally shut down. Was hoping they were working together so I could have a somewhat partial GDE influenced tune. Theirs is not out yet. MR's is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's one less thing that you have to worry about failing. You can delete DEF electronically without having to change your exhaust. I have tunes with DEF intact and deleted and can't tell a difference in the exhaust smell or dirtiness. But I don't see DEF being that big of an issue. We've got truck stops nearby with DEF at the pumps. If acquiring DEF is more difficult it might be worth it for you.
Thank you. Wish I could full delete but want my warranty so this is as close as I can get to that.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
MR Tuning does actually have a dyno in their shop though. (At least their new one.) There's pictures on facebook.

Also, while @Gputah is correct that there's not a lot going on with the MR Tunes, they have a "unique" way of handling DTC's that points to a different source than SFT.
I believe they modify the tunes themselves but use a similar, maybe the same, base map. I know Mrtuning has/had an account with WinOls for tuning. Either way, whether its the same or not, its far from the most sophisticated tune out there.

Reactions: JohnnyMac and KRom

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I want full delete with changed out exhaust pipes to the muffler. Not really concerned about warranty. Was waiting on HD Diesel after GDE pulled full deletes. I also heard MR Tuning in Canada had a good deleted tune for the 2020 Generation EcoDiesel. Gputah, how about commenting on the HD Diesel tunes? I was told about HD directly from GDE when they were totally shut down. Was hoping they were working together so I could have a somewhat partial GDE influenced tune. Theirs is not out yet. MR's is.
I'm pretty sure the tunes from HD Diesel are the pre-EPA GDE tunes. I do not for sure as I have not tested them myself. They don't offer a tune for 2020's yet though, but potentially could before GDE releases one as they don't need EPA approval for Canada.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I know Mrtuning has/had an account with WinOls for tuning. Either way, whether its the same or not, its far from the most sophisticated tune out there.
You seem to have had many tunes, how did you manage to get one from MRtuning?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
You seem to have had many tunes, how did you manage to get one from MRtuning?
The tunes from GDE, SFT and Reckless Motorsports I purchased directly from them over the last few years. PPEI and Mrtuning and another tune I have yet to identify (I purchased what I thought was a "stock" ECM but it had a tune on it, no idea what it is still), came on used ECM's I picked up either on the forums, facebook or eBay. Which anyone can do.

I was completely happy to purchase a tune directly from MRtuning. But they refused to sell one to me if I was going to compare it to SFT. They also accused me of being an SFT spy. And then told me I was going to try and sell the tune myself. Bottom line is, they didn't want it compared and I can see why now.

As many on here and facebook know, including several that have messaged me directly asking for a "Gputah tune", I have no interest in selling tunes, whether that is mine or someone else's. I find it very intriguing and entertaining to compare a tune, and would much rather compare them than deal with the hassle and headache of selling and competing with other tuners. I make plenty of money doing other things with my time.

I wish MRTuning would have sold me a tune last year. In contrast, SFT and Reckless were both very happy to sell me a tune knowing and wanting me to compare it.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts