RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
It’s quite amusing listening to guys say they do their own files when they don’t own a dyno and purchase files from the same source.

If people don’t have a great deal of respect for the hours that GDE has put into dyno runs, data logging and real world testing they should.
MR Tuning does actually have a dyno in their shop though. (At least their new one.) There's pictures on facebook.

Also, while @Gputah is correct that there's not a lot going on with the MR Tunes, they have a "unique" way of handling DTC's that points to a different source than SFT.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What's your thoughts on def turned off but not full delete?
It's one less thing that you have to worry about failing. You can delete DEF electronically without having to change your exhaust. I have tunes with DEF intact and deleted and can't tell a difference in the exhaust smell or dirtiness. But I don't see DEF being that big of an issue. We've got truck stops nearby with DEF at the pumps. If acquiring DEF is more difficult it might be worth it for you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So you didnt review an MRTuning tune? Youre not making sense.

Are you going to post your data analysis or just keep talking with nothing to back it up?

Well wait 😊
Cool, so you a vendor around here yet? Funny how you haven't posted anything for six months, but pop in all of a sudden.

Otherwise your just attacking forum members who are here to share/learn information. If you are concerned about @Gputah's sourcing of the MR Tune you have a chance to rectify it right now. If you took time to read you would see he tried to buy it. You want to make sure your product is fairly represented? Provide it to gputah at cost.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Remapping is big business in europe. Companies offer map pack file services. Websites like evc.de exist and anyone can become a dealer for some tuner out of some small city in tim buck too. This is how companies like SFT started out.

The tuning industry is a dumpster fire currently, so toxic.

Please post your analysis so we can all review!

Lets get some hard data/screen shots/comparisons etc rather than comparing tables in HP that wont even show the changes that were made via different platform which HP wont show lol experience in the software platforms is key to understanding what and how to find specific data. A bench read should be used to analyze a file. Not HP which shows minimal info.

Youre talking a LOT but supplying nothing to back it up. Please if youre going to spread shit to boost your YouTube views, do if with integrity.

Never a dull moment, i tell ya.
While I agree that HP Tuners isn't the greatest tool, it shows about 80% of what you need to understand a tune. People literally tune Corvettes with it. Everything comes down to driver demand, fuel, air, and timing. And that you can see in VCM editor. This is literally how any engine operates. And isn't your multimap tuning using HP Tuners now???

·
Registered
450 Posts
Someone sent me a link to this so i decided to jump in and comment as there was some crazy allegations being thrown around with nothing to back it up.

Im not attacking anyone, im asking for integrity and data to support claims. There is history here that you are unaware of from both sides.

I tried to post here a few times and as a vendor was told i had to pay or sponsor to do so. Wasnt interested in that.

I dont own MRTuning, i am just a dealer. I dont make decisions on who gets free tunes or at cost tunes. Thats the owners decision.

Giving someone who has zero background in tuning, a tune to rev doesnt equal fair representation. All you'll get is one persons experience with limited info. Im not sure where the logic is in that?
So by choosing not to be a sponsor, you made a decision to not support this forum and didn't feel that it's members are a worthwhile investment for your business. And I'm fully aware of the bias around here and would like to think I'm am one tries to minimize favoritism. I've gotten lambasted plenty for not lapping up what the popular opinion is.

I have experience with SFT, MR tuning, and GDE. I don't see anything here said by @Gputah that's untrue and he's the one your attacking. You can think whatever you want to think, but from where I'm sitting, its not a good look for a business owner.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Until hard data is provided all of whats being said is speculation and potentially slander.

I help 100s if not 1000s of ecodiesel owners with their vehicles for FREE quite often. I dont want this forum to be a sales tool, i actually asked how to become a vendor and received a response of cricket sounds. I can imagine GDE wouldnt want more competition here anyways. Thats why every thread about other tuners is a dumpster fire.

Most of these members are members of the forums i do HEAVILY participate in. If this forum wasnt so vendor bias, it would be a LOT more attractive to a business that does want to support it and give up valuable time doing or even offer a monetary investment.

What guaranteed value do i receive as a vendor when spending money to be apart of this community? Where is the return on investment besides the opportunity that someone may message me asking about products or wasting my time when all they get is GDE rammed down their throat.

When did you purchase an MRTuning tune? Which product did you get? Feel free to DM me if you like.
What "hard" data are you looking for? The dyno's on your own facebook page backs up my experience with MR tunes. It makes the advertised HP numbers, but it's all at the top end above 3000rpm.

Facebook

and by the way, where's the 90 ft. lbs of torque that MR Tuning advertises?

Jeep / Dodge Ram 1500 3.0L V6 Ecodiesel (2014 - 2018) (mrtuning.ca)

Nobody has said your product is crap. (Except for maybe GDE, and then Martin returned the favor) But everyone asks what is the best, that's what this thread is about. I'm free to have an opinion based on my experience, that's not slander.

EDIT:

@MRTuning provided another dyno. I'll clarify mods and type of tune if they answer back. I still stand by my experience and that GDE is the better tune for towing and daily driving.

·
Registered
450 Posts
gtsav2006, they thruth is that the Ecodiesel exist since 2014, 6 years as of now, and no one have done any innovation as of yet for the Ecodiesel enthusiast, customer asked repeatedly for fast Idle and switch on the fly tuning, but all they get is still the same old tune that is copied over and over, the platform is 6 years old now, so all the current tune is copied and copied and everyone is claiming to be better than the other.

MRTuning came out with what the customer asked day after day, an fst idle on demand and a switch on the fly tuning, and no other tuner can do this as of yet, and I doubt they will ever be able to do it, so it's normal that I got bashed to death from every other, and to not to forgot that I do have finished the developped of a very nice tuning on the new 2020 Ecodiesel, and none of the other tuner here have a tune for this, but unfortunately, customer will buy what is best suited for them and who offer the nicest option, and other tuner with their supporter just got frustrated.
2014-2019 EcoDiesel Tuning for HP Tuners – PPEI

Except that PPEI is doing shift on the fly as well. Seems that this is something HPTuners have enabled and other tuners have/will pick up.

but unfortunately, customer will buy what is best suited for them and who offer the nicest option, and other tuner with their supporter just got frustrated.
Those silly customers... buying what's best suited for them.

If someone want, I can program all the MRtuning tune, GDE , SFT and PPEI tune in one ECM and the customer can choose it while driving, and made his own opinion.
Sounds great, I'm sure you'll have plenty of volunteers.

Really, I challenge you to put full throttle below 3000rpm without the transmission donwshifting on you, what this mean is low end power on an automatic vehicule cannot be exploited, so it's useless to make big torque number down low, the full throttle power band on these truck is between 3400 rpm to 4200rpm, I purposely do my tune that way to have good power in that range, actually where the power is used.

If what you want is big torque number down low from me, I'll gladly put my truck on my Dyno again and do the number you want to see, but on a drag race, both my low torque and high torque number tune will have an identical result.
So your saying increased horsepower or increased torque is an "either/or" situation?

I have stated your tune is primarily a wide open throttle tune. It sounds like you are agreeing. I spend about 2% of the time at WOT. The other 90% of time driving around town, the truck is shifting before 3000 rpm. When towing, our trucks can't handle the heat rejection while running at 3000+ rpm for long periods of time. This seems to be the general consensus of most people driving Ecodiesels, so I recommend tuners that better fit that profile.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Change the thread name to "Tuner Wars"

May the best tune win!
I mean wouldn't it be great for the community if all the tuners could have an AMA or thread where they compare and contrast their tune design/philosophies. You know, stuff that would actually help customers make good decisions.

But if you were just to read discussion like this, here's what I gather:
  1. Every tuner copied their tune from somewhere.
  2. They are all "shit"
  3. So based on 1&2, I guess pick which ever is cheapest???
(Sarcasm obviously... I don't believe any of this to be true.)

At this point, when more than one tuner gets involved into a conversation, it may as well be a presidential "debate".

·
Registered
450 Posts
You don't use full power when you are cruising, you just use maybee 50 lbft of torque, even less in city, and it's not a manual transmisison you have, it's automatic, if you jump on the accelerator hard enough, the transmission will downshift and immediately put your engine in higher rpm range.

The other guy was telling that my full throttle Dyno curve is doing more power up high than down low, this has absolutely nothing to do with cruising speed or city driving.

Ok, I listened, then I'll do my power curve differently just to satisfy people on here, really it's a very small detail to adjust the ''non exploitable'' down low power, but what a waste of time....
I would rather have 200+ rwhp starting at 2200 RPM and building than to have 240+ rwhp in a vary small area that I hardly use. I KNOW that having more torque down low helps with navigating in normal traffic. I don't expect you to do part throttle dyno-pulls, but if you're not tuning for power down low with WOT then it's safe to say you don't care about it under more boring driving conditions. T

This makes a HUGE difference in daily drivability of the truck. Plus it's really nice when I'm towing 8000 lbs running about 2500 rpm's and I'm at 60-80% throttle.

Your simply not going to convince me otherwise; this was decided after running 1000's of miles with different tunes. You can choose to not accept criticism, but your responses and actions have convinced me that I won't be giving you another cent either way.

·
Registered
450 Posts
PPEI Switch on the fly tune is a potentiometer connected to the fuel temperature sensor, it's some sort of a fooler that only change fueling according to fuel temp.

MRTuning Switch on the fly tune is with dupicated mapping in the eCM, so I can duplicate Boost, timing, fuel, egr, switch, monitor, injection etc..etc... the only limit is the available empty space in the ECM.

My Dyno number are at full throttle, not part throttle, unfortunately we do not do any Dyno at part throttle loll.
Awww crap.... I how PPEI reps don't see this. Might have to go buy more popcorn.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi, I'll repeat it one more time, you cannot exploit the full down low torque power on a vehicule equipped with an automatic transmission, if you try, the transmission will downshift, at 60-80% throttle the transmission downshift.

If you want it to hold, I offer a manual mode in my transmission tune, but it's very hard on engine component and transmisison to lug the engine at low RPM.
You can repeat as much as you like, but it doesn't make it any more true. 2500 rpm isn't "low" for a diesel. It's in the meat of the powerband. While towing, I'm at 2500rpm in 6th gear at about 60-70% throttle on flat roads. This requires at least 300 ft lbs of torque and can surge to 400 ft lbs with dips and hills. Every time I need that surge, you're tune downshifts and puts me in what you call the "ideal" powerband. That causes EGT's, engine, and oil temp to shoot up. The "other" tune just purrs along at 2500rpm. I'm in sixth gear, I'm not hurting the transmission. Never heard of anyone overheating their transmission. And there's guys here that towed for hundreds of thousands of miles without issue.

And I don't keep repeating myself bc I enjoy arguing with you. Since you keep rebuking my argument, perhaps I'm not being clear on the impact of different tunes for those that come here seeking knowledge. What I am referencing is a real concern for a lot of ecodiesel owners.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What's wrong with this? It's true, ask Korry at PPEI he will say the same, he even PM'ed me to congrats me on my Canbus based Switch on the fly and asking me if I wanted to sell him information, there is nothing wrong with all this, I don't know what is the problem.
Or maybe it was meant to be a joke. Although I think it would be interesting to get another tuner's perspective.

Many don't understand that a lot of the tuners talk amongst themselves and often have a good working relationship.
I though GDE was infallible to you? I can appreciate you enjoying the perspective of another tuner, but your typically logic is GDE says they suck, so they must suck...

·
Registered
450 Posts
CRToney yes.

And to the other that are spreading missinformation about my tune beaing made for only high end power, you did not have looked at the right info, sometime when you post you must know what you are talking about, so to rectify this, here is our Dyno of the Ecodiesel that we made back in 2017, I will made several other when the weather will be warmer at the shop, to make all this clean. View attachment 89009
This certainly looks more reasonable, but you were the one that stated 3 times that low end torque was bad for the engine/transmission. I still stand by my statement that for towing and day to day driving I prefer other tunes.

Having said that, if your not attacking people and providing solid data then I do enjoy discussing the differences in tunes. Moving on...

I have not done a delete, so I only have experience with your +20HP and +40 HP and to me the +20HP feels more responsive and I don't really notice much difference in power. I know they're not really scientific, but the ODB dyno tools put the 20HP and 40HP tune with 5hp of each other and TQ is about the same.

So what tune are we looking at here? Looks like it's at about 50HP and 110 ft. lbs. of torque, which doesn't really align with anything you have on your website for ecodiesel.

And I agree with @LHCfireman, what was done to the exhaust? I assume it's off-road, but picking up 25 ft lbs. is suprising.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

If you want mrT, HD, GDE to be business men then they’ll just become Ram Cares and offer I paragraph generic answers to everything

Want the tuners to be active? Well unfortunately if that’s the case and anyone can come on here and run down their products and businesses your going to get some back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I WISH we could have an educational conversation with the tuners on things like their philosophies, who they believe their tuning caters too mostly, etc.

But instead just about every one of the tuners first instinct is to discredit any negative information without any actual data. A person who has compared 2+ tunes back to back, is unfortunately the best data available for someone trying to make a decision. They all appear to not appreciate that a lot of the members here are not your average consumer, and are familiar with our trucks and are passionate about them. Say the wrong thing and BS meters start going off around here.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It’s simple. You have a forum with fake names, biased people and trolls.

People think they can run a tune for a few weeks and suddenly become internet superstars because they ‘reviewed’ a tune and ran down ‘tune companies’

You’re not arguing with FCA where everything is lawyer speak. Tunes aren’t exactly ‘legal’ in most aspects so expecting the tuner to act like FCA when they get called out isn’t going to happen.

Seems most people with opinions either

A: don’t have one,

or B: they run ‘X’ tune so obviously their X tune is the best and the rest are garbage.

All we’re doing is arguing the same shat and swapping the tune companies in the X variable over and over.

Seems every tune company has their pros and cons. Tunes are just computer programs now so you’re arguing on how someone writes their code. Want a code that’s the same across the board? Ya that’s called stock.

Everyone else is tuning to meet their wants and needs. To line them up side by side and try to compare them is asinine to me, but hey it’s Covid and it’s seems no one else has anything better to do.

GDE has a compliant tune apparently. Can anyone else say that? So if you have a newer truck on warranty this would jump out to me as the way to go.

Have a garage and a basic understanding of diesels? Slap a 100hp tune on and warm up the credit card for new parts.

If this is all too much for some people they also offer a Penstar and Hemi engine options so it’s not like you were handcuffed to buy a newer diesel and all it’s quirks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So your saying people like me, that has purchased from 3 different tuners are not allowed to share my opinion? As you say, most people run X, and they seek to confirm their purchase. BUT having purchased SFK, MR Tuning, and GDE for my personal vehicles, I can tell you that you will notice a difference, and you will notice obvious differences within 5 miles of driving.

Not sure where the Venn diagram for "compliant tunes" and "warranty" cross. Just bc the EPA likes it has no bearing whether or not FCA likes it.

And not offense to any tuner, but giving them credit for "writing code" is a huge stretch. 99.9% of tuners are just editing the maps (variables) of the computer program created by the manufacturer. It's more akin to replacing rods, needles, jets, etc on a carburetor. The mechanic that does the tuning didn't invent the carburetor.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i am shocked at the non positive comments here on MRtuning. I have seen several groups on FB where MRtuning is the most popular tune.
I have had both GDE and MRtuning. Homestly O like both for different reasons and both offer different reasons to have it. I am not getting into an argument on who is better. Left FB because of the trash talking guys. Both GDE and MRtuning should be considered the best tunes available. Reckless Mororsports days are numbered. He seems to think the EPA is a joke. They will get him sooner than later. Chris has done more than expected to help me with issues and is very knowledgeable on the Ecodiesel.
The thread title is "GDE vs MRtuning". The very title means that there will probably be a "winner" and a "loser". As has mentioned several times here, just about anything is better than stock, so of course, most people of facebook will be happy with MR Tuning if it's the only tune they've had experience with. That doesn't make any statements made here any less true or false.

Since you have experience with both GDE and MR, would you care to elaborate on your opinion? Which are you currently running? Why?

·
Registered
450 Posts
While you are obstinating each other here, each day I do individual customisation tune for customer, some want more power down low, some other want more economie, some want more accelerator reaction, etc..etc... and to add to that, I'm the only one in north america that currently offer true Switch on The Fly tuning for the Ecodiesel, so you can have up to 5 tune of your choice in one ECM, by default I offer Stock tune, econo tune, towing tune, performance tune, race tune, but I can customise it at the demand of the customer. And those that are expert in tune comparison, it would be interesting to know which of my tune has been compared, because you can even compare my Econo tune to my own performance tune and you wil see difference loll...
What's different about each of the SOTF options? Fuel economy, HP, TQ, engine limits. What does it cost for existing users to update to SOTF? If they already have an MVPI2?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts