RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
It is no surprise MR Tuning and SFT are similar, they both get files from optimal remap in Bulgaria. They are base tune files that have no engineering in them at all. Let me know what you find with Reckless Motorsports. The owner of that company bought a used GDE tune last fall and started asking us a bunch of questions about it. I have a good idea he stole our tune. If you see similarities, I am all ears and will sue him for copywrite infringement. The vast majority of these tuning companies do not do their own development.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
If someone want, I can program all the MRtuning tune, GDE , SFT and PPEI tune in one ECM and the customer can choose it while driving, and made his own opinion.
The reason you can do this is why? Sounds to me like you lifted these other companies tunes. I have never seen your tune, but it certainly sounds similar to SFT according to forum members here. I find if funny you call out the GDE tune, when you have been inside it and see we change 1000's of maps compared to your minimal changes. Some owners want hard data on tune performance and adherence to safety limits. I still have not seen any aftermarket tuner show data for turbo speeds or cylinder pressure like GDE. These are critical for engine life. There is a reason GDE only makes 34 hp on the ecodiesel...it is the safe limit.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
There is misconception about tuning in general. The ecm memory chip has 'code' and 'data' in it. Tuners change the data. Companies like Bosch, Siemens, Delphi and some OEMs write the code. This code contains all the logic flow like maps, curves, values, arrays, fids, etc. The calibrators then fill the code with data settings. Back when we were working for Chrysler directly, it was common for us calibrators to write 'feature requests' for new code to be implemented. We would lay out the flowcharts using simulink or similar, give it to Bosch and they implemented it in the next software release. Bosch would sell a platform software package and the OEMs personalized it with feature requests. It is also possible to use hardware in the loop along with an ASCET system to link into the software hooks Bosch bakes into the code. This allow one to write new code and test it immediately. Awesome hardware, but very costly.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
Hi all
So to sum up any recommendations?
Here in Alberta we have popular cooper custom tuning. But they don't do transmission tune.
Also how much in power gains I should target? Any recommendations? Is 40 hp is good? Coopers tune standart is 60hp increase.
Second option I am looking is either Sofa king or Mr tuning. So I can get transmission tune same time.
Any feedback is appreciated.
All of those mentioned overspeed the turbo rotation at full juice and exceed cylinder pressure for long term cylinder head life. Let us know the lifespan after tuning, the failures are starting to mount in the field.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
I have both tunes. GDE compliant and MR tuning stage 1. I ran GDE first. Its a great tune. The fuel economy was great. The low end torque was good. My engine failed not from tune but the design flaw. New engine I decided to shut off egr so went to MR Tuning. Also shut off DEF system. I can say fuel economy went down. Low. End torque feels lower. Shift points are higher rpms. I like GDE as far as better all around but went to MRtuning. Both are great tunes for different reasons and needs.
But that fuel economy loss is hard to swallow with fuel above $5 a gallon.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
He could do it and say it's his off road tune only. After all their is thousands of tuners out their tuning cars all day every day and I promise you that are illegal to EPA standards. It all depends if your county requires emissions testing honestly my county doesn't anymore they did away with it because they don't drink the coolaid
GDE is still under EPA investigation and regardless of state emission testing or not, it is still illegal to sell delete tuning or any tuning that does not meet federal emission requirements on any VIN plated vehicle in the US. These are federal rules, outside state jurisdiction. We can make cleaner calibrations with emission compliant vs. the delete tooners anyway. This is why GDE tuned engines tend to last longer and have lower ownership costs in the long run.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
Is it older GDE? as GDE doesn't offer EGR off nowadays. they all emission complaint.
The EGR has a minimal effect on oil quality for soot loading. The old and new GDE tunes keep oil cleaner by changing the combustion process. This is accomplished with changes to the two pilot injections, main injection and post injection timing and quantity. These changes lead to 75% reduced soot (PM) formation in the chamber and thus less soot getting past the rings down into the engine oil. This is why the GDE tunes have cleaner engine oil vs. the delete tunes. None of those tuners know anything about combustion analysis, they just turn codes off, dump more fuel for power and never touch the pilots or post injections.

·
Vendor
1,465 Posts
Combustion process also improved by running engine oil hotter at the spare of the turbo (there was a post on the forum about it).
Am I wrong here?
Take things on internet like this with a grain of salt, there is no truth in that statement. Oil temps have nothing to do with the combustion process. Coolant temps reflect on the liner temps and that can impact combustion. However, during the warm-up the injection event timing/quantity are modified to reduce emissions until liner temps reach operating level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts