RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
314 Posts
Yes it's hard to go with less MPG but I was starting to get def CEL. Probably a clogged def injector. But i will sacrifice a few mpg to completely shut off def system that can cost thousands to fix
Or leave you stranded somewhere. It's definitely a delicate balance of performance/reliability.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
314 Posts
MRtuning directly. Let me try EOC.
How do you like your tune so far? did you get 3 in one combo?
I have the CCS engine and tranny tune. They've been struggling to figure out a turbo surge issue with my truck for a good 6 months. My brother's cummins is CCS tuned and is great. I think they're good at the normal diesels(cummins,duramax,powerstroke) but the EcoD is a different beast. I just ordered a new tune myself from EcoD Canada/MRTuning (stage 2) and can't wait to see the difference.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok I guess I should hold on with CCS than. How do you like your transmission tune? it is also from CCS?
I finally got respond from Martin (week after) and had fast responses from EcoD withing same day. But those only asking questions about the tune and not really asking to fix anything.
As I said, yes I have engine and transmission tune from CCS. Both are 'okay' and again I've been having turbo surge problems for quite a while. They are blaming in on a mechanical failure which it's not. I've even put in a new MAP sensor and still have same issue. I'm fully deleted (stage 2 EGR and DPF, SRC, Muffler, Resonator) so there's not much left for them to blame the issue on. I just visited the dealer last week and got my ECM and TCM put back to factory so I can load my MRTuning tune once it's sent back. I suggest going through EcoD Canada as it seems to be much quicker.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank you Crash 68 and Rustydusty1717.
Is it hard to DYI and remove the EGR and install a block off plates? Any videos or instructions you can recommend?
As It's a bit confusing with explanation when you have a tune with stage 2 you need off road pipes, ets. so not a straightforward task.
Thank you!
Stage 2 EGR delete I did myself, wasn't that bad. The biggest pain in the arse is the bolts on the exhaust manifold. Spray the crap out of all the bolts maybe the night before with PB blaster and that should help. The DPF/SCR you can just buy the delete pipes and have a local exhaust shop install or install yourself. You don't need to straight pipe unless you want. I removed DPF/SCR as well as the muffler and resonators which are farther back from the DPF/SCR. Stage 2 tunes are designed to have the EGR/DPF/SCR removed. Stage 1 doesn't have anything removed but it does disable the EGR computer wise. The EGR is still notorious for leaking and causing more headaches so it's always suggest to Stage 2 delete it and be done with it.

EGR Delete kit and the DPF/SCR delete pipe can both be purchased from EcoDiesel Canada.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a local exhaust shop remove the DPF/SCR so I can't say. I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad either if you spray all the bolts with PB blaster. The muffler/resonator is fine to keep if you want to keep it quiet. Loaded my new EcoD Canada/MRTuning tune today. Couple days of driving like a grandpa then we shall see.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Still pretty quiet compared to a complete straight piped EcoD. Mine is a lot louder than that, and thankfully inside the cab is super quiet with the exhaust still exiting out the back. Only time I complain about my straight piped setup is full my 5th wheel the exhaust echo's off the front of the trailer and is quite annoying.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been telling folks all along what you said back around 2016, the combustion process has soooo much more to do with soot reduction than does the EGR. Hence why my engine oil has always been clean up to around 7k miles. Too many disbelievers out there think the EGR is the cause of all issues.
Sleeve Yellow Automotive tire Gas Wrist

Yup, and this sludge is perfectly good for an engine to be sucking in the intake............

As my father would say, give your head a shake folks. The EGR is absolutely a contributor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You will never clean up the exhaust side of a diesel to the point zero build up happens when you recycle that same exhaust through the intake. Even custom tuning every diesel vehicle on a dyno and specially with high mileage ones.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd gladly be proven wrong. Show me a GDE tune that reduces the intake buildup by 75% after high mileage (50,000 miles/80,000kms) I'll switch immediately.

I'm all about 'the prove is in the pudding'

Until then I'll gladly take my EGR/DPF deleted diesel that purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Even your delete tune isn't going to reduce any soot buildup 'after' high mileage. Come on.

I'm talking real time soot reduction. There's no magic pill that's gonna reduce accumulation and damage that's already done.
My delete tune and EGR sure are reducing that soot from coming back in the intake, absolutely. Exactly, so the only way to truly know how much of a reduction is being made is with a brand new truck off the lot with the GDE tune and inspect it after 50,000 miles and compare to another stock truck not using any tune. Yes GDE will have a reduction but I'm doubting that much of a difference.

·
Registered
314 Posts
One of these days I'll take off the tube and check it out. When my new motor was put in, I had the pre EPA GDE. So my current motor has ran 100% of the time with the EGR shut off. I'm at almost 100,000 kms on the new motor.
Be interesting to see for sure. Post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just quick update for those wondering. Got the truck PCM/TCM back to factory. Loaded my new EcoD Canada tune (MRTuning) and worked flawless (Stage 2 40hp/60hp plus transmission tune). Had to get a 2nd tune done to turn off swirl valves. So far really pleased. No more turbo surge and seems to be a smoother power. Haven't tried the 60hp yet as it's busy towing time of year pulling the 5th wheel or gooseneck with quads/ATV and SxS. Maybe in the fall I'll load the 60hp for a bit and have some fun.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sny more updates on the tune Rusty?
Well for one, my turbo surge issue with my old CCS tune is now gone thankfully. Fuel economy to my CCS tune is similar, power (40HP tune) is about the same, EGT's are much lower especially towing the 5th wheel. Ran the 60HP once so far and don't see a huge bump in power over the 40HP myself. Transmission tune seems to be good as well. Shifts from 1st to 4th VERY quickly.

Overall, very pleased with my tune from EcoDCanada/MRTuning. Would recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is the turbo surge issue gone because it was fixed or because it magically went away'?
Well it happened on the way to the dealer. Once at the dealer they did a PCM and TCM factory reset. Drove truck home in limp mode (15-20kms). Truck sat a few days until EcoD emailed me the tune files. Loaded tune files and haven't had issue since. Sooooo I will safely say less than 1% chance the issue wasn't tune related.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Going from CCS tuned to MRTuning I dropped fuel economy slightly. Only been a couple weeks so who knows if that's a contributor. Still overall very please though. No more turbo surge and more consistent power.

CCS: 26-28MPG unloaded
MRTuning: 24-26MPG unloaded (stage 2 40HP haven't tried 60HP yet)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks John. While a stg1 to stg2 might be an incongruous comparison, for many of us its the most valuable comparison.

Cost is about the same (current pricing for epa 'compliant' GDE): GDE ~$1,100usd, MRtuning stg2 ~$750usd, + ~$250usd for a cat-back pipe.

Like you John, I would expect a stg2 to get better fuel economy than a stg1, if for no other reason than the fuel required to "regenerate" the DPF. The soot clogging the DPF, is itself a result of incomplete (and inefficient) combustion! Fuel wasted there, and then more fuel wasted to burn it off (converting it to co2 and co) - which an efficient system would do in the cylinder!

The pre-epa GDE 'stg1' tune seems to be the gold standard, including for fuel economy. For this reason the comparison is between the MRtuning stg2 and GDE. If the GDE stg2 ("off-road") were widely available, it would be in the comparison.

John, what mpg numbers do you get with the SFT stg1?

Thanks for posting actual numbers rustydusty - something that we can all use to create a baseline for comparison.

From what I have read in other threads in this forum, pre-epa GDE would give 30-32mpg, and the current epa-compliant GDE tune only gives about 28mpg. So the epa-compliant version seems to have dropped 2-4mpg. (that's about 12.5% more carbon put into the air for the same distance driven. Not sure how that achieves a clean-air mandate!)

Looking for actual numbers for mpg, to compare. Thanks to each for your contributions!
D.
Even with the decrease in mileage, I'm happy to have the Stage 2 from MRT. Knowing the DPF/EGR are no longer on the truck is one less thing that could fail or cause me problems. I tow a lot so I don't need to be dealing with regen issues or EGR coolers melt/leaking.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Pre-EPA GDE tune was absolutely the best, however those days are long gone. As of now the next best (IMO) is MrTuning/EcoD Canada.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts