RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll be happy with either.

The GDE package includes the trans tune, which makes a HUGE difference in performance. Definitely get the trans tune if you go with MRtuning. At least consider their trans tune when comparing the two tuners.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Definitely going with a trans tune with whatever one I pick. I think they are both very comparable but GDE offers the better mileage. Yet MRTuning offers egr shut off so a plus and minus to both.
How do you figure GDE offers better mileage? Customer reviews?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I know Mrtuning has/had an account with WinOls for tuning. Either way, whether its the same or not, its far from the most sophisticated tune out there.
You seem to have had many tunes, how did you manage to get one from MRtuning?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Personally I spend no time between 3,400 & 4,200 and I don't drag race anybody. Lol even at 107 mph I was cruising at 2,800 rpm. You can run a gasser that way to its strength but its running a diesel to its weakness. I like the comfortable quiet fuel efficient tug at 2k. I like that its responsive in traffic as its right in its torque band where you drive it. So its easy to be quick and an aggressive driver in traffic even though it would lose an all out race. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I'm with you, I rarely allow the truck to go over 3k rpm when towing. I'd like more power between 2k-3k than anywhere north of 3k. I'm confident mine will downshift and run at 3400 all day but it just seems like the motor is screaming.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
your responses and actions have convinced me that I won't be giving you another cent either way.
I've caught so much shit for being critical of SFT and Reckless for the very same reason lol.

Sounds like many of you whom wish for more power before downshifting and less lag need a good trans tune.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
What's wrong with this? It's true, ask Korry at PPEI he will say the same, he even PM'ed me to congrats me on my Canbus based Switch on the fly and asking me if I wanted to sell him information, there is nothing wrong with all this, I don't know what is the problem.
Many don't understand that a lot of the tuners talk amongst themselves and often have a good working relationship.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I though GDE was infallible to you? I can appreciate you enjoying the perspective of another tuner, but your typically logic is GDE says they suck, so they must suck...
You seem to just want to argue with anyone. I'm not biting.

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
MRTuning, first off I want to thank you for having the interest to tune vehicles. Competition is good... But, I just saw where you attacked GDE on another thread (SFT tune question). That made my mind up. If all you can do is attack and you cannot even spell correctly, you won't be tuning my vehicle...
Don't be so quick to judge, English isn't everyone's first language.

And if you're gonna judge a tuner on spelling, well good luck in your endeavors.

Reactions: Jordyboy604

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Martin and Chris came in here and pulled a big fat Jimmy. I'm pretty sure their comments have dissuaded far more future customers than it has interested. The way they have treated me publicly and privately has guaranteed I will never recommend them to anyone I like.
Well I can't comment on how they've treated you privately, but for what I've seen publicly, I think we all could benefit from thicker skin now and again. I think every tuner has had some pretty passionate replies when it comes to other's tuning or being challenged about their own. That must leave you with very few choices.

One thing is clear, tuners take their craft seriously. I don't blame them for wanting consistency, transparancy, and fairness in any evaluations.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
@oldccminmate I like how you think, very rational and seemingly unbiased explanation.

They don't want it compared and thats the bottom line here and they are doing their best to discredit me before I even post any results.
I think it's fair for any tuner to question your methods. It's actually scientific. I do appreciate your time, as I've told you before.

Reactions: RAMIT and KRom

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Yes, I would agree that it is "sensory trickery", but living in a EPA compliant state/county, it is an attractive option to use a system that you can pull out quickly without loosing your tune if you have to go to the dealer, and then be able to reinstall quickly after the dealer visit. The other option would be to have 2 ECM's (expensive).
There's a much easier method than switching ECM's. Just use the programmer many good tuners provide and flash the ECM back to stock for dealer visits and smog testing. Then flash the tune back to the ECM when done. Easy and better for the motor, unlike sensor trickery boxes.

Reactions: Eugene

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I would like to use the compliant GDE tune on my 2015 Ram Eco but also really want to disable the EGR valve. Does anyone know how to accomplish that? Am disabled so cannot do a complete mechanical EGR delete, nor would I want to since I did the AEM update BS (big mistake in my opinion) and now have an extended warranty on the power train components.
Just got my truck back from the dealer today after having the EGR cooler recall performed so now seems like a good time to somehow disable the EGR and install the GDE tune. It has 63K miles on it currently with at least 60% of that being Hwy miles as I took several travel trailer trips in the first three years I had it.
Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

You can get a stage 1 tune from MRtuning to disable the EGR. No mechanical changes required. Sounds like a good route for you.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Nothing wrong with loyalty.
MRT Performance out of Australia? What did you find was better or more to your liking?
Thoughts on GDE or SFT?
MRtuning out of Canada. Can be purchased here: Home | Ecodiesel Owners Canada

GDE has a good ECM and trans tune package. It's EPA compliant so EGR is active, although minimized and there's a much cleaner combustion cycle than the stock tune.

I'd go with EOC or GDE. That's it.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
What's the community for if we can't share the nitty gritty, but OK, I understand. :) Thanks! I'm glad you said Canada, I was about to msg the Australian Co.
Plenty nitty gritty on this forum already, and the search function is very effective.

I only have experience with the two tuners I mentioned.

Reactions: John Jensen

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
@elv8mymnd I have a GDE stage 1 tuned ECM for sale for '14-'19 Gen2 Eco's. For trucks with 3.55 gears. Has all the options. Pre-ban so not epa compliant. More info in for sale forum.

Reactions: Dennisvab

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Posted before and was deleted. Not surprised. Basically after following the main Ecodiesel forum on Facebook it was clear that tbe best tune was MRtuning with egr shut off. That was equal to a 9 incher. Partly because guys thought they were badass having a tune in the usa that is illegal by epa standards. On other hand tne competitor tune is epa compliant so that's a 4.5 incher because it's legal. Well the illegal tune actually is dirtier. It regens every 250 miles while the epa compliant tunes was 500 for me. So yes egr off but tune still dirtier. Basically to decide best tunes require pulling pants down to compare. That is the logic the FB groups use. I run my tine based on my needs. Not all tunes are equal
I wonder why it was deleted :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Thank you. Yes I looked at the site. Pretty expensive stuff. Also since they never returned any of the emails I have some concerns about the future support they might have or might have not. So far only positive feedback from dealing with SFT or CCS even though I am not a customer and they patienly answer all my questions withing one day. I like the idea of SFT being honest and openly admitted about existent problem that they had without hiding anything. Great job SFT for being honest! If I end up with SFT I'll gladly help to fix a cold weather remote start issue since it cold most of the time here :).
It should raise a red flag that SFT has had this persistent cold-start issue for a few years now and are unable to resolve it. They're not software engineers and don't know tuning afaik. CCS seems like small cheese and relatively unknown. I've yet to see an issue with ordering through EOC, whether it be customer support or otherwise.

Do your research. Be diligent with the brain of your truck.

Reactions: Mikesky and DATA

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
EcoD Canada should give us discounts for having members advertising:). Chris any promotional codes you can provide us?
Also question for everyone do I have to block off EGR with plates or simple tune deactivation is good enough?
And what about exhaust? I.e. Take out dpf/def part or i can just keep it and dont use it (well not the dpf) or if I delete it do i need to run anew papi right ot hte turbo?
Thank you.
Remove the egr if running a stage 2 tune. Go with the turbo-back kit from EOC, you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: Mikesky

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I removed dpf/scr/muffler, only thing still in place are the dual resonators. It is surprisingly quiet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts