RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
283 Posts
Thank you Crash 68 and Rustydusty1717.
Is it hard to DYI and remove the EGR and install a block off plates? Any videos or instructions you can recommend?
As It's a bit confusing with explanation when you have a tune with stage 2 you need off road pipes, ets. so not a straightforward task.
Thank you!
Stage 2 EGR delete I did myself, wasn't that bad. The biggest pain in the arse is the bolts on the exhaust manifold. Spray the crap out of all the bolts maybe the night before with PB blaster and that should help. The DPF/SCR you can just buy the delete pipes and have a local exhaust shop install or install yourself. You don't need to straight pipe unless you want. I removed DPF/SCR as well as the muffler and resonators which are farther back from the DPF/SCR. Stage 2 tunes are designed to have the EGR/DPF/SCR removed. Stage 1 doesn't have anything removed but it does disable the EGR computer wise. The EGR is still notorious for leaking and causing more headaches so it's always suggest to Stage 2 delete it and be done with it.

EGR Delete kit and the DPF/SCR delete pipe can both be purchased from EcoDiesel Canada.

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
55 Posts
Stage 2 EGR delete I did myself, wasn't that bad. The biggest pain in the arse is the bolts on the exhaust manifold. Spray the crap out of all the bolts maybe the night before with PB blaster and that should help. The DPF/SCR you can just buy the delete pipes and have a local exhaust shop install or install yourself. You don't need to straight pipe unless you want. I removed DPF/SCR as well as the muffler and resonators which are farther back from the DPF/SCR. Stage 2 tunes are designed to have the EGR/DPF/SCR removed. Stage 1 doesn't have anything removed but it does disable the EGR computer wise. The EGR is still notorious for leaking and causing more headaches so it's always suggest to Stage 2 delete it and be done with it.

EGR Delete kit and the DPF/SCR delete pipe can both be purchased from EcoDiesel Canada.
Thank you! Was it easy to remove DPF/SCR (i assume it is def)? I want to keep muffler and resonator as I like how quite it is. As we drive mostly long distance and wife will kill me if it will be loud lol.
Did you got your MR tuning already? How do you like it?

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
283 Posts
I had a local exhaust shop remove the DPF/SCR so I can't say. I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad either if you spray all the bolts with PB blaster. The muffler/resonator is fine to keep if you want to keep it quiet. Loaded my new EcoD Canada/MRTuning tune today. Couple days of driving like a grandpa then we shall see.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I hollowed out the DPF and had it welded back together. It's barely louder than stock.

Stock:

GDE Stage II with hollowed out DPF and SCR left in place with straight pipe after that:

And keep in mind that the camera is much closer to the exhaust in the "after" video.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Still pretty quiet compared to a complete straight piped EcoD. Mine is a lot louder than that, and thankfully inside the cab is super quiet with the exhaust still exiting out the back. Only time I complain about my straight piped setup is full my 5th wheel the exhaust echo's off the front of the trailer and is quite annoying.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I removed dpf/scr/muffler, only thing still in place are the dual resonators. It is surprisingly quiet.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
That what I am planning to do. but keep the muffler I guess for now:)
Do you guys who deleted get a lot of smoke from the pipes or any smell in the cabin while driving?
Smoke depends on the quality of the tune. My tune from MRtuning might give a puff of white on start-up then a little black smoke when towing and heavy throttle on a grade. No cabin odor.

Reactions: Mikesky

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
That what I am planning to do. but keep the muffler I guess for now:)
Do you guys who deleted get a lot of smoke from the pipes or any smell in the cabin while driving?
I get a very small amount of coal rolling when I floor it. Other than that, no smoke at all. I get NO smell at all while driving. The only time I ever smell it is when idling with no wind blowing at all.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
What kind of stage 2 tune are you using. Thanks!
GDE

Edit: A little reminder of my latest oil analysis.

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
55 Posts
GDE

Edit: A little reminder of my latest oil analysis.

Is it older GDE? as GDE doesn't offer EGR off nowadays. they all emission complaint.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Is it older GDE? as GDE doesn't offer EGR off nowadays. they all emission complaint.
The EGR has a minimal effect on oil quality for soot loading. The old and new GDE tunes keep oil cleaner by changing the combustion process. This is accomplished with changes to the two pilot injections, main injection and post injection timing and quantity. These changes lead to 75% reduced soot (PM) formation in the chamber and thus less soot getting past the rings down into the engine oil. This is why the GDE tunes have cleaner engine oil vs. the delete tunes. None of those tuners know anything about combustion analysis, they just turn codes off, dump more fuel for power and never touch the pilots or post injections.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
The EGR has a minimal effect on oil quality for soot loading. The old and new GDE tunes keep oil cleaner by changing the combustion process. This is accomplished with changes to the two pilot injections, main injection and post injection timing and quantity. These changes lead to 75% reduced soot (PM) formation in the chamber and thus less soot getting past the rings down into the engine oil. This is why the GDE tunes have cleaner engine oil vs. the delete tunes. None of those tuners know anything about combustion analysis, they just turn codes off, dump more fuel for power and never touch the pilots or post injections.
I've been telling folks all along what you said back around 2016, the combustion process has soooo much more to do with soot reduction than does the EGR. Hence why my engine oil has always been clean up to around 7k miles. Too many disbelievers out there think the EGR is the cause of all issues.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been telling folks all along what you said back around 2016, the combustion process has soooo much more to do with soot reduction than does the EGR. Hence why my engine oil has always been clean up to around 7k miles. Too many disbelievers out there think the EGR is the cause of all issues.
Sleeve Yellow Automotive tire Gas Wrist

Yup, and this sludge is perfectly good for an engine to be sucking in the intake............

As my father would say, give your head a shake folks. The EGR is absolutely a contributor.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Yup, and this sludge is perfectly good for an engine to be sucking in the intake............

As my father would say, give your head a shake folks. The EGR is absolutely a contributor.
You're missing the point. Where does the soot come from? The EGR doesn't produce the soot, the combustion cycle does. Clean up the combustion cycle and there's very little soot for the EGR to introduce into the intake. Get it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
You will never clean up the exhaust side of a diesel to the point zero build up happens when you recycle that same exhaust through the intake. Even custom tuning every diesel vehicle on a dyno and specially with high mileage ones.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
You will never clean up the exhaust side of a diesel to the point zero build up happens when you recycle that same exhaust through the intake. Even custom tuning every diesel vehicle on a dyno and specially with high mileage ones.
You're right. But nobody is claiming 100% reduction in soot.

But before you can understand how much GDE cleans up the combustion process, you must understand how dirty FCA makes the combustion process. Particularly with their heavy reliance on post-combustion injection to quiet and smooth out the engine, making it less diesel-like to appeal to customers.

Run a current EPA compliant GDE tune, clean your diffuser tube, then come back and post how it looks after, say, 10k miles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd gladly be proven wrong. Show me a GDE tune that reduces the intake buildup by 75% after high mileage (50,000 miles/80,000kms) I'll switch immediately.

I'm all about 'the prove is in the pudding'

Until then I'll gladly take my EGR/DPF deleted diesel that purrs like a kitten.

221 - 240 of 256 Posts