RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I'd gladly be proven wrong. Show me a GDE tune that reduces the intake buildup by 75% after high mileage (50,000 miles/80,000kms) I'll switch immediately.

I'm all about 'the prove is in the pudding'

Until then I'll gladly take my EGR/DPF deleted diesel that purrs like a kitten.
Even your delete tune isn't going to reduce any soot buildup 'after' high mileage. Come on.

I'm talking real time soot reduction. There's no magic pill that's gonna reduce accumulation and damage that's already done.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
283 Posts
Even your delete tune isn't going to reduce any soot buildup 'after' high mileage. Come on.

I'm talking real time soot reduction. There's no magic pill that's gonna reduce accumulation and damage that's already done.
My delete tune and EGR sure are reducing that soot from coming back in the intake, absolutely. Exactly, so the only way to truly know how much of a reduction is being made is with a brand new truck off the lot with the GDE tune and inspect it after 50,000 miles and compare to another stock truck not using any tune. Yes GDE will have a reduction but I'm doubting that much of a difference.

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
55 Posts
My thinking why GDE didn't worked with RAM and put their tune as factory? Or why Factory doesn't use GDE as the main tune?
Combustion can play some role to a certain extent but as Rusty showed his EGR I don't really believe it is possible to reduce it to 75% or less they would done that if possible long time ago.
GDE did you run any tests that Rusty was suggesting? or Anyone with GDE can show his EGR after 10K before oil changes?
Would be great to see real photos not just theory that always looks good on paper:-(

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,744 Posts
My delete tune and EGR sure are reducing that soot from coming back in the intake, absolutely.
What's your oil look like when you change it? Black like diesel have been, even before the use of EGR? where did that soot come from, oh yeah it goes through the rings from the combustion cycle.
There have been a few postings of GDE tuned trucks that the oil is amazing clean for being a diesel as it isn't jet black

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
so the only way to truly know how much of a reduction is being made is with a brand new truck off the lot with the GDE tune and inspect it after 50,000 miles and compare to another stock truck not using any tune. Yes GDE will have a reduction but I'm doubting that much of a difference.
FYI I put a GDE tune on my '16 as soon as it got home from the dealer when new. Now at 165k I can eat off the swirl valves, the intake is so clean. So you 'doubting that much of a difference' is based on a hunch and it happens to be wrong.

I'll state it again, as did GDE. Cleaning up the combustion process is much more effective in reducing soot load than tuning out the EGR. You can continue with your old-school thinking, it's obvious nobody will convince you otherwise. Not even a software developer that was formerly employed by FCA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One of these days I'll take off the tube and check it out. When my new motor was put in, I had the pre EPA GDE. So my current motor has ran 100% of the time with the EGR shut off. I'm at almost 100,000 kms on the new motor.

Reactions: Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
55 Posts
You're missing the point. Where does the soot come from? The EGR doesn't produce the soot, the combustion cycle does. Clean up the combustion cycle and there's very little soot for the EGR to introduce into the intake. Get it?
I agree to a certain extent. Yes EGR doesn't produce the soot. However it takes the exhaust gases that go back to the engine.
So If I understand correctly even if combustion process is improved as per GDE by 75% you still get those 25% back to the engine. With EGR off those 100 % going back to the exhaust pipe. Oil is clean after 7K miles. Service interval is 10K miles. So need to change oil after 7k than?
Combustion process also improved by running engine oil hotter at the spare of the turbo (there was a post on the forum about it).
Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
283 Posts
One of these days I'll take off the tube and check it out. When my new motor was put in, I had the pre EPA GDE. So my current motor has ran 100% of the time with the EGR shut off. I'm at almost 100,000 kms on the new motor.
Be interesting to see for sure. Post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just quick update for those wondering. Got the truck PCM/TCM back to factory. Loaded my new EcoD Canada tune (MRTuning) and worked flawless (Stage 2 40hp/60hp plus transmission tune). Had to get a 2nd tune done to turn off swirl valves. So far really pleased. No more turbo surge and seems to be a smoother power. Haven't tried the 60hp yet as it's busy towing time of year pulling the 5th wheel or gooseneck with quads/ATV and SxS. Maybe in the fall I'll load the 60hp for a bit and have some fun.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Combustion process also improved by running engine oil hotter at the spare of the turbo (there was a post on the forum about it).
Am I wrong here?
Take things on internet like this with a grain of salt, there is no truth in that statement. Oil temps have nothing to do with the combustion process. Coolant temps reflect on the liner temps and that can impact combustion. However, during the warm-up the injection event timing/quantity are modified to reduce emissions until liner temps reach operating level.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Oil is clean after 7K miles. Service interval is 10K miles. So need to change oil after 7k than?
Guessing you're addressing this to me. I change at 10k. Oil clear to 7k then it begins to darken slightly. Analysis says I can go longer than 10k.

Reactions: Mikesky

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
55 Posts
Just quick update for those wondering. Got the truck PCM/TCM back to factory. Loaded my new EcoD Canada tune (MRTuning) and worked flawless (Stage 2 40hp/60hp plus transmission tune). Had to get a 2nd tune done to turn off swirl valves. So far really pleased. No more turbo surge and seems to be a smoother power. Haven't tried the 60hp yet as it's busy towing time of year pulling the 5th wheel or gooseneck with quads/ATV and SxS. Maybe in the fall I'll load the 60hp for a bit and have some fun.
Sny more updates on the tune Rusty?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sny more updates on the tune Rusty?
Well for one, my turbo surge issue with my old CCS tune is now gone thankfully. Fuel economy to my CCS tune is similar, power (40HP tune) is about the same, EGT's are much lower especially towing the 5th wheel. Ran the 60HP once so far and don't see a huge bump in power over the 40HP myself. Transmission tune seems to be good as well. Shifts from 1st to 4th VERY quickly.

Overall, very pleased with my tune from EcoDCanada/MRTuning. Would recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
117 Posts
Well for one, my turbo surge issue with my old CCS tune is now gone thankfully. Fuel economy to my CCS tune is similar, power (40HP tune) is about the same, EGT's are much lower especially towing the 5th wheel. Ran the 60HP once so far and don't see a huge bump in power over the 40HP myself. Transmission tune seems to be good as well. Shifts from 1st to 4th VERY quickly.

Overall, very pleased with my tune from EcoDCanada/MRTuning. Would recommend to anyone.
Is the turbo surge issue gone because it was fixed or because it magically went away'?
edit never mind, after re-reading your post I realize it's because of the new tune. Glad things are going well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is the turbo surge issue gone because it was fixed or because it magically went away'?
Well it happened on the way to the dealer. Once at the dealer they did a PCM and TCM factory reset. Drove truck home in limp mode (15-20kms). Truck sat a few days until EcoD emailed me the tune files. Loaded tune files and haven't had issue since. Sooooo I will safely say less than 1% chance the issue wasn't tune related.

241 - 256 of 256 Posts