RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
261 - 280 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,421 Posts
Going from CCS tuned to MRTuning I dropped fuel economy slightly. Only been a couple weeks so who knows if that's a contributor. Still overall very please though. No more turbo surge and more consistent power.

CCS: 26-28MPG unloaded
MRTuning: 24-26MPG unloaded (stage 2 40HP haven't tried 60HP yet)
Good to know
I'm SFT Stage 1 tuned with an MRT stage 1 ordered.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm going to assume you live in a state you cannot delete?
Yep, very strict Califunny. Califunny won't register your truck without dealer docs proving it has the emissions recalls completed. I've seen an out-of-state deleter get stopped at a roadside checkpoint and have their truck impounded. They then got a heavy fine and were told they cannot put their truck on a Califunny road unless they restored it to stock. They ended up renting a flatbed to haul their truck back to Texas. Califunny has yet to approve GDE's emissions-compliant tune. The only state to do so.

I am not a fan of deleting and if I could I would not delete.
It was the smoke rollers that brought the wrath of the EPA down on the tuners. I believe the amount of continued deleting will cause even worse actions by the EPA. If they had the budget to enforce deleting and their ridiculous rules deleting would come to a halt. Perhaps the recent court ruling that somewhat detuned EPA's power may have some impact but I doubt it.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Gde has superior fuel economy stage one.
GDE is probably in first place for Stage 1 mpg but I don't think to the level of being superior. In all the tests I've read GDE was only marginally better. Would be interested in what knowledge you have to say it is "superior" as always eager to learn. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
68 Posts
Gde has superior fuel economy stage one.
I would say used to be with pre EPA tune.
Now with between all complaint tunes probably the best in USA only, since stage 1 in Canada can have EGR disabled.
Even more with EOC/MRT you can have DEF disabled on Stage 1 which i think is a bonus. $130 add on pays after only 4 fill ups with 9.5 l of def at crappy tire.

·
Registered
2016 Outdoorsman, 3.55 6'box Leer topper
15 Posts
I don't know the answer but you are asking for an apples-to-oranges comparison. The proper comparison would be stage 1 to stage1.
If I were to guess any stage 2 tune would beat GDE in mpg
Thanks John. While a stg1 to stg2 might be an incongruous comparison, for many of us its the most valuable comparison.

Cost is about the same (current pricing for epa 'compliant' GDE): GDE ~$1,100usd, MRtuning stg2 ~$750usd, + ~$250usd for a cat-back pipe.

Like you John, I would expect a stg2 to get better fuel economy than a stg1, if for no other reason than the fuel required to "regenerate" the DPF. The soot clogging the DPF, is itself a result of incomplete (and inefficient) combustion! Fuel wasted there, and then more fuel wasted to burn it off (converting it to co2 and co) - which an efficient system would do in the cylinder!

The pre-epa GDE 'stg1' tune seems to be the gold standard, including for fuel economy. For this reason the comparison is between the MRtuning stg2 and GDE. If the GDE stg2 ("off-road") were widely available, it would be in the comparison.

John, what mpg numbers do you get with the SFT stg1?

CCS: 26-28MPG unloaded (stage 2)
MRTuning: 24-26MPG unloaded (stage 2 40HP haven't tried 60HP yet)
Thanks for posting actual numbers rustydusty - something that we can all use to create a baseline for comparison.

From what I have read in other threads in this forum, pre-epa GDE would give 30-32mpg, and the current epa-compliant GDE tune only gives about 28mpg. So the epa-compliant version seems to have dropped 2-4mpg. (that's about 12.5% more carbon put into the air for the same distance driven. Not sure how that achieves a clean-air mandate!)

Looking for actual numbers for mpg, to compare. Thanks to each for your contributions!
D.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
Thanks John. While a stg1 to stg2 might be an incongruous comparison, for many of us its the most valuable comparison.

Cost is about the same (current pricing for epa 'compliant' GDE): GDE ~$1,100usd, MRtuning stg2 ~$750usd, + ~$250usd for a cat-back pipe.

Like you John, I would expect a stg2 to get better fuel economy than a stg1, if for no other reason than the fuel required to "regenerate" the DPF. The soot clogging the DPF, is itself a result of incomplete (and inefficient) combustion! Fuel wasted there, and then more fuel wasted to burn it off (converting it to co2 and co) - which an efficient system would do in the cylinder!

The pre-epa GDE 'stg1' tune seems to be the gold standard, including for fuel economy. For this reason the comparison is between the MRtuning stg2 and GDE. If the GDE stg2 ("off-road") were widely available, it would be in the comparison.

Thanks for posting actual numbers rustydusty - something that we can all use to create a baseline for comparison.

From what I have read in other threads in this forum, pre-epa GDE would give 30-32mpg, and the current epa-compliant GDE tune only gives about 28mpg. So the epa-compliant version seems to have dropped 2-4mpg. (that's about 12.5% more carbon put into the air for the same distance driven. Not sure how that achieves a clean-air mandate!)

Looking for actual numbers for mpg, to compare. Thanks to each for your contributions!
D.
Even with the decrease in mileage, I'm happy to have the Stage 2 from MRT. Knowing the DPF/EGR are no longer on the truck is one less thing that could fail or cause me problems. I tow a lot so I don't need to be dealing with regen issues or EGR coolers melt/leaking.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I'm fortunate to have both a GDE and a MRT stage 2 on hand. Been playing around with both. I can say they are very similar in performance, mileage, and soot load. There are larger differences to be seen in things like tire weight, speed, fuel type, etc. MRT is a strong tune and a good current contender.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

D.
C2wheeler,
I don't like to talk mileage as it is so subjective. Depends and varies according to the driver's driving style and habits, road conditions, terrain, weight, weather, and vehicle mods. My Eco has been leveled, has 10 ply tires, has a Leer shell, Ranch Hand grille guard, and no air dam. That said, I average 17-18 local and 21-22 on the highway with the SFT stage 1. Prior to SFT, I ran the pre-EPA GDE stage 1 tune getting 1-1.5 more mpg, local and highway.

·
Super Moderator
4,094 Posts
C2wheeler "So the epa-compliant version seems to have dropped 2-4 mpg. (that's about 12.5% more carbon put into the air for the same distance driven. Not sure how that achieves a clean-air mandate!)" Agreed! IMO It's not first and foremost about achieving clean air but rather other objectives per their goals and not that of the citizenry.

John, Commiefornia was never and will never under its current, I will politely use the term administration approve GDE or anyone else's aftermarket tune. I believe this has nothing to do with meeting emissions outputs. I am a fan of aftermarket tuning. I am not on the face of it a fan of full deletes. Although I see no good reason from the citizens standpoint to have a mandated EGR when it is not needed to meet emissions output requirements. As then its only purpose is to harm the engine industry and consumer. Naturally that also provides power and control to that type of governance.

"It was the smoke rollers that brought the wrath of the EPA down on the tuners" They merely provided something to point at which made it easier as in less push back for the EPA to do what it already wanted to do. Environment is a scapegoat for this agency. This type of government is not benevolent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Eco has been leveled, has 10 ply tires, has a Leer shell, Ranch Hand grille guard, and no air dam. That said, I average 17-18 local and 21-22 on the highway with the SFT stage 1. Prior to SFT, I ran the pre-EPA GDE stage 1 tune getting 1-1.5 more mpg, local and highway.
John, thanks - That is very useful info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
C2wheeler "So the epa-compliant version seems to have dropped 2-4 mpg. (that's about 12.5% more carbon put into the air for the same distance driven. Not sure how that achieves a clean-air mandate!)" Agreed! IMO It's not first and foremost about achieving clean air but rather other objectives per their goals and not that of the citizenry.

John, Commiefornia was never and will never under its current, I will politely use the term administration approve GDE or anyone else's aftermarket tune. I believe this has nothing to do with meeting emissions outputs. I am a fan of aftermarket tuning. I am not on the face of it a fan of full deletes. Although I see no good reason from the citizens standpoint to have a mandated EGR when it is not needed to meet emissions output requirements. As then its only purpose is to harm the engine industry and consumer. Naturally that also provides power and control to that type of governance.

"It was the smoke rollers that brought the wrath of the EPA down on the tuners" They merely provided something to point at which made it easier as in less push back for the EPA to do what it already wanted to do. Environment is a scapegoat for this agency. This type of government is not benevolent.
Hi VernDiesel, thanks for your feedback.

I guess I kinda opened the door to the agency/policy issues, but I think we'd (newbies/forum users) really like to keep this thread about the characteristics and performance of the tunes. Sorry to all if I'm being presumptuous here.

The pros/cons of each, particularly in direct comparisons, and fuel economy - preferably in actual mpg, but if not even relative to each other gives some usable info.

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the GDE pre-EPA Stage 1 ECU and transmission tune for 42k miles on my truck. Great tune. I tracked every fuel up (with fuelly app) and was averaging 24.5 mpg (measured, not looking at the lie-o-meter). Regens were taking place every 650 miles.
Unfortunately my truck left me stranded (damn tonering) and the #$%@# dealer overwrote the ECU (even claimed my EGR was leaking, lol). At least I got a new intake manifold.

I now have the MrTuning/EOC Stage 1 ECU and transmission tune. My average (measured) fuel consumption has dropped to about 22 mpg (again, measured) and regens take place about evey 300 miles. You can see the drop in my Fuelly link at the bottom, on my signature. Truck feels as good as the GDE in terms of performance with slight hesitation to downshift and rev up when at speed (compared to the pre-EPA GDE).

If I had to do it again, I might have gone with the EPA compliant GDE Stage tune. I don't know how that feels, but just wanted to let the group know.

Regarding combustion efficiency and soot reduction, vs EGR shut-down: What is the average miles between regens on EPA compliant GDE Stage 1 tune? Does anyone know? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
The Pre-EPA GDE tune was absolutely the best, however those days are long gone. As of now the next best (IMO) is MrTuning/EcoD Canada.

·
Registered
2017 RAM Laramie
68 Posts
Just upgraded the transmission tune with MRT. Noticed that transmission is smoother even when it is cold. no noticeable kicks when switching on cold. Let see how it goes on the highway as so far i did just 80 km/h freeway and feels good. just first initial impressions with Stage one 20 HP tune.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
2,038 Posts
I have the GDE EPA compliant tune in my '14 and I average 275 miles between regens. The most I've ever gone between regens is 500 miles while towing on the highway.

The first edition GDE HOT tune I would get 700 miles average and 900+ while towing on the highway.

261 - 280 of 313 Posts