RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you guys for the help so far.

@Gputah when you get that comparison done with the reckless tune are you going to post a video or review? I'm very interested in them after doing some more reading. Not to keen on having a second ecu as I'd prefer a handheld. But if it's worth it I won't mind to much. Plus he has the ability to go full delete when I'm ready.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m running the pre-epa GDE hot tune on my ‘19 Classic, stock tcm. I’ve got 3.92’s and 35’s. Mixed driving gets me 11-12 litres per 100km or 24-25 mpg imperial which is about 19-21 US mpg. That’s hand calculated off my last tank on winter diesel but with temps above freezing. It will improve slightly in the summer. I’ve run this tire size on many gas trucks and they are not even in the same realm. I’ve seen fuel economy around 10 mpg US.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've actually had the opportunity to compare the tune files from GDE, MRTuning, SFT, Reckless Motorsports and PPEI. I recently reviewed Mrtuning's 60hp tune. Mrtuning's file is very similar to SFTs, which I'm sure will come to a surprise to many. MRtuning has only very basic modifications made to fuel, timing, and slightly increased injector duty cycles in the upper end of the RPM range. Boost is actually lower than GDEs and SFT's. The biggest surprise to me was the pilot and post injection maps are unchanged, the same sooty amount of injections/timing as stock which is also what SFT uses. The tune is however smooth, and performs well.

I can't speak for their lesser HP tunes, however.

GDE doesn't have quite as much power, but they have re-engineered the pilot and post injections and optimized them to reduce wasted fuel and provide the cleanest burn and better fuel economy. You will get better fuel economy and produce less soot than MRTuning if you go with GDE. I haven't looked at the newer GDE tune. However, based on their previous tune I'm assuming much of what they had before has moved into the EPA compliant tune. The main thing they needed to do was re-introduce the EGR. They advertise having much less soot than stock, so I imagine the pilot and post injections have been optimized like previous tunes.

If you're looking for the most power, Reckless Motorsports new tune is a step above the others are as far as power and response goes. I have yet to do full comparisons, but will be starting on those this week. We'll see how it performs to the others. I know the pilot and post injections are modified and not stock, so I'm assuming it to get better fuel economy than SFT and MRtuning, not sure about GDE though. But we will see as the increased power may make up for any fuel economy gains. I am dedicating about 10 hours a week to these comparisons for the next few months.

This is interesting. When did you buy an MRTuning tune Glenn? I dont have record of it and neither does MRTuning. Did you secret shopper purchase it because we chose not to sell to you based on your historical interactions?

If you are only analyzing a tune file VIA HP Tuners, you are missing a MASSIVE portion of the mapping that is made via winols and ecm titanium. HP is a terrible was to analyze a file, very basic stuff is shown only.

I welcome you to post some proof of it for sure, lets see all your data analysis. This sure was an entertaining read lol school yard stuff. I wont get involved in this drama.

To see Keith at GDE becoming so petty online its truly sad. I used to have a lot of respect for him. Saying MRTuning gets files from optimal remaps is beyond hilarious 😂😂

The drama never seems to end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The tunes from GDE, SFT and Reckless Motorsports I purchased directly from them over the last few years. PPEI and Mrtuning and another tune I have yet to identify (I purchased what I thought was a "stock" ECM but it had a tune on it, no idea what it is still), came on used ECM's I picked up either on the forums, facebook or eBay. Which anyone can do.

I was completely happy to purchase a tune directly from MRtuning. But they refused to sell one to me if I was going to compare it to SFT. They also accused me of being an SFT spy. And then told me I was going to try and sell the tune myself. Bottom line is, they didn't want it compared and I can see why now.

As many on here and facebook know, including several that have messaged me directly asking for a "Gputah tune", I have no interest in selling tunes, whether that is mine or someone else's. I find it very intriguing and entertaining to compare a tune, and would much rather compare them than deal with the hassle and headache of selling and competing with other tuners. I make plenty of money doing other things with my time.

I wish MRTuning would have sold me a tune last year. In contrast, SFT and Reckless were both very happy to sell me a tune knowing and wanting me to compare it.

So you didnt review an MRTuning tune? Youre not making sense.

Are you going to post your data analysis or just keep talking with nothing to back it up?

Well wait 😊

·
Banned
667 Posts
It is no surprise MR Tuning and SFT are similar, they both get files from optimal remap in Bulgaria. They are base tune files that have no engineering in them at all. Let me know what you find with Reckless Motorsports. The owner of that company bought a used GDE tune last fall and started asking us a bunch of questions about it. I have a good idea he stole our tune. If you see similarities, I am all ears and will sue him for copywrite infringement. The vast majority of these tuning companies do not do their own development.
Wouldn't it be great if all the chip tuners were forum members and could have sane discussions instead of one tiny tuner pissing in the pond.

Open this page and look at all the manufactures this tuner tunes, and what's with the Bulgaria hate, chances are the tune was engineered by a Rhode scholar and that this is a multi billion dollar business, not one that couldn't pay it's EPA fines for 450 illegal EPA breaking tunes in California "alone".

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
This is interesting. When did you buy an MRTuning tune Glenn? I dont have record of it and neither does MRTuning. Did you secret shopper purchase it because we chose not to sell to you based on your historical interactions?

If you are only analyzing a tune file VIA HP Tuners, you are missing a MASSIVE portion of the mapping that is made via winols and ecm titanium. HP is a terrible was to analyze a file, very basic stuff is shown only.

I welcome you to post some proof of it for sure, lets see all your data analysis. This sure was an entertaining read lol school yard stuff. I wont get involved in this drama.

To see Keith at GDE becoming so petty online its truly sad. I used to have a lot of respect for him. Saying MRTuning gets files from optimal remaps is beyond hilarious 😂😂

The drama never seems to end.
Chris, if you would read my comments I'm thsi thread you would know exactly where I got the tune.

I don't need WinOls to know that the pilot and post injection tables have not been modified from stock. I can also clearly see that the that timing and fuel are almost completely stock except at WOT. And the files are surprisingly similar to sfts. That's all I was saying.

I've driven sft for 40k miles and mrtunings 60hp tune feels almost identical except in a few places it is a little smoother. It also has a bit more fuel at WOT which does add a tiny bit if power and a decent amount more smoke. When I do the dyno comparison between the 4 tunes I'm currently comparing we will see where the power is for all of them. Sales pitches and slander doesn't hold up well when facts are shown.

Funny how the drama seems to follow you and Unser the most. I'm sure It was probably him that brought this thread to your attention. No matter. I enjoy comparing tunes and that is exactly what I plan on doing.

Why is Mrtuning so afraid to be compared and is so defensive if the tune is God's gift to the ecodiesel community?

I promise I will treat each tune equally. I have no beef in who is best. But it sure does make great content for my YouTube channel and I love learning more about what the tunes offer.

Reactions: MAS and KRom

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

Are you going to post your data analysis or just keep talking with nothing to back it up?

Well wait 😊
I never said I did the full review. I simply said I reviewed and compared the tune files themselves. I am currently working on the real world tests and reviews for each category. Mpg loop tests, 0-60, 1/4 mile, towing fuel economy and then egts up steep grades and the last will be a dyno run for each tune.

I always start with the files. They give the first indication of how a tune is.

Reactions: Dieselfever

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if all the chip tuners were forum members and could have sane discussions instead of one tiny tuner pissing in the pond.

Open this page and look at all the manufactures this tuner tunes, and what's with the Bulgaria hate, chances are the tune was engineered by a Rhode scholar and that this is a multi billion dollar business, not one that couldn't pay it's EPA fines for 450 illegal EPA breaking tunes in California "alone".
Remapping is big business in europe. Companies offer map pack file services. Websites like evc.de exist and anyone can become a dealer for some tuner out of some small city in tim buck too. This is how companies like SFT started out.

The tuning industry is a dumpster fire currently, so toxic.
Chris, if you would read my comments I'm thsi thread you would know exactly where I got the tune.

I don't need WinOls to know that the pilot and post injection tables have not been modified from stock. I can also clearly see that the that timing and fuel are aost completely stock except at WOT. And the files are surprisingly similar to sfts. That's all I was saying.

I've driven sft for 40k miles and mrtunings 60hp tune feels almost identical except in a few places it is a little smoother. It also has a bit more fuel at WOT which does add a tiny bit if power and a decent amount more smoke. When I do the dyno comparison between the 4 tunes I'm currently comparing we will see where the power is for all of them. Sales pitches and slander doesn't hold up well when facts are shown.

Funny how the drama seems to follow you and Unser the most. I'm sure It was probably him that brought this thread to your attention. No matter. I enjoy comparing tunes and that is exactly what I plan on doing.

Why is Mrtuning so afraid to be compared and is so defensive if the tune is God's gift to the ecodiesel community?

I promise I will treat each tune equally. I have no beef in who is best. But it sure does make great content for my YouTube channel and I love learning more about what the tunes offer.
Please post your analysis so we can all review!

Lets get some hard data/screen shots/comparisons etc rather than comparing tables in HP that wont even show the changes that were made via different platform which HP wont show lol experience in the software platforms is key to understanding what and how to find specific data. A bench read should be used to analyze a file. Not HP which shows minimal info.

Youre talking a LOT but supplying nothing to back it up. Please if youre going to spread shit to boost your YouTube views, do if with integrity.

Never a dull moment, i tell ya.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Well wait 😊
Cool, so you a vendor around here yet? Funny how you haven't posted anything for six months, but pop in all of a sudden.

Otherwise your just attacking forum members who are here to share/learn information. If you are concerned about @Gputah's sourcing of the MR Tune you have a chance to rectify it right now. If you took time to read you would see he tried to buy it. You want to make sure your product is fairly represented? Provide it to gputah at cost.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Remapping is big business in europe. Companies offer map pack file services. Websites like evc.de exist and anyone can become a dealer for some tuner out of some small city in tim buck too. This is how companies like SFT started out.

The tuning industry is a dumpster fire currently, so toxic.

Please post your analysis so we can all review!

Lets get some hard data/screen shots/comparisons etc rather than comparing tables in HP that wont even show the changes that were made via different platform which HP wont show lol experience in the software platforms is key to understanding what and how to find specific data. A bench read should be used to analyze a file. Not HP which shows minimal info.

Youre talking a LOT but supplying nothing to back it up. Please if youre going to spread shit to boost your YouTube views, do if with integrity.

Never a dull moment, i tell ya.
While I agree that HP Tuners isn't the greatest tool, it shows about 80% of what you need to understand a tune. People literally tune Corvettes with it. Everything comes down to driver demand, fuel, air, and timing. And that you can see in VCM editor. This is literally how any engine operates. And isn't your multimap tuning using HP Tuners now???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cool, so you a vendor around here yet? Funny how you haven't posted anything for six months, but pop in all of a sudden.

Otherwise your just attacking forum members who are here to share/learn information. If you are concerned about @Gputah's sourcing of the MR Tune you have a chance to rectify it right now. If you took time to read you would see he tried to buy it. You want to make sure your product is fairly represented? Provide it to gputah at cost.
Someone sent me a link to this so i decided to jump in and comment as there was some crazy allegations being thrown around with nothing to back it up.

Im not attacking anyone, im asking for integrity and data to support claims. There is history here that you are unaware of from both sides.

I tried to post here a few times and as a vendor was told i had to pay or sponsor to do so. Wasnt interested in that.

I dont own MRTuning, i am just a dealer. I dont make decisions on who gets free tunes or at cost tunes. Thats the owners decision.

Giving someone who has zero background in tuning, a tune to rev doesnt equal fair representation. All you'll get is one persons experience with limited info. Im not sure where the logic is in that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
While I agree that HP Tuners isn't the greatest tool, it shows about 80% of what you need to understand a tune. People literally tune Corvettes with it. Everything comes down to driver demand, fuel, air, and timing. And that you can see in VCM editor. This is literally how any engine operates. And isn't your multimap tuning using HP Tuners now???
HP tuners is VERY basic when it comes to diesel tuning. All GOOD diesel tunes for HP must be converted from. BIN to HPT format.

This is what we are doing with the multi map. HP wont show even 50% of the changes made as it doesnt have access to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What owners of diesels want is a good efficient tune that extracts maximum power with minimal smoke. Good to be offered with emissions intact and also a full delete. As far as I know there is no one that compares tunes, until I heard about gputah on this site. There is no way to know whose tune is the best and whose is the worst. I am sure the one on the bottom of a comparison won't be happy and yell foul. I have ran diesels all my life and tuned most all of them. Mostly Mercedes. This is my first Ram and the hesitation is what gripes me the most about this thing, then the shifting. And I don't think there is actually 480 ft/lbs of torque available.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is no surprise MR Tuning and SFT are similar, they both get files from optimal remap in Bulgaria. They are base tune files that have no engineering in them at all. Let me know what you find with Reckless Motorsports. The owner of that company bought a used GDE tune last fall and started asking us a bunch of questions about it. I have a good idea he stole our tune. If you see similarities, I am all ears and will sue him for copywrite infringement. The vast majority of these tuning companies do not do their own development.
It's simple, SFT copied MRtuning.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Someone sent me a link to this so i decided to jump in and comment as there was some crazy allegations being thrown around with nothing to back it up.

Im not attacking anyone, im asking for integrity and data to support claims. There is history here that you are unaware of from both sides.

I tried to post here a few times and as a vendor was told i had to pay or sponsor to do so. Wasnt interested in that.

I dont own MRTuning, i am just a dealer. I dont make decisions on who gets free tunes or at cost tunes. Thats the owners decision.

Giving someone who has zero background in tuning, a tune to rev doesnt equal fair representation. All you'll get is one persons experience with limited info. Im not sure where the logic is in that?
You don't know my background or anything about me. I've been a member of HP Performance Academy for 4 years, 3 of those have been focused on diesel tuning. I tuned my own Subaru back in the day and have written tunes for my own ecodiesel (very different, my wrx knowledge helped very little). I'm not including my own tunes in the comparisons because I never plan on selling them. They are for my benefit, practuce and enjoyment only.

You're lack of tuning knowledge is pretty obvious in your comebacks. Also there are literally hundreds of tuners tuning diesels with hptuners In America. Including the instructors of HP Performance Academy that have years of tuning experience and have tuned thousands of vehicles.

BUT, you don't need tuning knowledge to compare real world results for tunes. Anyone and everyone can pull a vehicle into a reputable shop and up onto the dyno and see what happens. They can also set a course for testing mpg. None of that requires any tuning knowledge and that is what people are looking for when they view my comparisons.

When I was looking for a tune for my truck 3 years ago, there was hardly any information about how they performed and how they compared to each other. No thanks to you and Martin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've actually had the opportunity to compare the tune files from GDE, MRTuning, SFT, Reckless Motorsports and PPEI. I recently reviewed Mrtuning's 60hp tune. Mrtuning's file is very similar to SFTs, which I'm sure will come to a surprise to many. MRtuning has only very basic modifications made to fuel, timing, and slightly increased injector duty cycles in the upper end of the RPM range. Boost is actually lower than GDEs and SFT's. The biggest surprise to me was the pilot and post injection maps are unchanged, the same sooty amount of injections/timing as stock which is also what SFT uses. The tune is however smooth, and performs well.

I can't speak for their lesser HP tunes, however.

GDE doesn't have quite as much power, but they have re-engineered the pilot and post injections and optimized them to reduce wasted fuel and provide the cleanest burn and better fuel economy. You will get better fuel economy and produce less soot than MRTuning if you go with GDE. I haven't looked at the newer GDE tune. However, based on their previous tune I'm assuming much of what they had before has moved into the EPA compliant tune. The main thing they needed to do was re-introduce the EGR. They advertise having much less soot than stock, so I imagine the pilot and post injections have been optimized like previous tunes.

If you're looking for the most power, Reckless Motorsports new tune is a step above the others are as far as power and response goes. I have yet to do full comparisons, but will be starting on those this week. We'll see how it performs to the others. I know the pilot and post injections are modified and not stock, so I'm assuming it to get better fuel economy than SFT and MRtuning, not sure about GDE though. But we will see as the increased power may make up for any fuel economy gains. I am dedicating about 10 hours a week to these comparisons for the next few months.
You have no knowledge at all in tuning, and then you have read MRtuning tune with an HPTuner tool, this is a beginner tool for end user, and 50% of what is modified in MRtuning tune is not shown in the HPtuner software.

·
Registered
449 Posts

So by choosing not to be a sponsor, you made a decision to not support this forum and didn't feel that it's members are a worthwhile investment for your business. And I'm fully aware of the bias around here and would like to think I'm am one tries to minimize favoritism. I've gotten lambasted plenty for not lapping up what the popular opinion is.

I have experience with SFT, MR tuning, and GDE. I don't see anything here said by @Gputah that's untrue and he's the one your attacking. You can think whatever you want to think, but from where I'm sitting, its not a good look for a business owner.

21 - 40 of 279 Posts