RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Vendor
1,337 Posts
There is misconception about tuning in general. The ecm memory chip has 'code' and 'data' in it. Tuners change the data. Companies like Bosch, Siemens, Delphi and some OEMs write the code. This code contains all the logic flow like maps, curves, values, arrays, fids, etc. The calibrators then fill the code with data settings. Back when we were working for Chrysler directly, it was common for us calibrators to write 'feature requests' for new code to be implemented. We would lay out the flowcharts using simulink or similar, give it to Bosch and they implemented it in the next software release. Bosch would sell a platform software package and the OEMs personalized it with feature requests. It is also possible to use hardware in the loop along with an ASCET system to link into the software hooks Bosch bakes into the code. This allow one to write new code and test it immediately. Awesome hardware, but very costly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've actually had the opportunity to compare the tune files from GDE, MRTuning, SFT, Reckless Motorsports and PPEI. I recently reviewed Mrtuning's 60hp tune. Mrtuning's file is very similar to SFTs, which I'm sure will come to a surprise to many. MRtuning has only very basic modifications made to fuel, timing, and slightly increased injector duty cycles in the upper end of the RPM range. Boost is actually lower than GDEs and SFT's. The biggest surprise to me was the pilot and post injection maps are unchanged, the same sooty amount of injections/timing as stock which is also what SFT uses. The tune is however smooth, and performs well.

I can't speak for their lesser HP tunes, however.

GDE doesn't have quite as much power, but they have re-engineered the pilot and post injections and optimized them to reduce wasted fuel and provide the cleanest burn and better fuel economy. You will get better fuel economy and produce less soot than MRTuning if you go with GDE. I haven't looked at the newer GDE tune. However, based on their previous tune I'm assuming much of what they had before has moved into the EPA compliant tune. The main thing they needed to do was re-introduce the EGR. They advertise having much less soot than stock, so I imagine the pilot and post injections have been optimized like previous tunes.

If you're looking for the most power, Reckless Motorsports new tune is a step above the others are as far as power and response goes. I have yet to do full comparisons, but will be starting on those this week. We'll see how it performs to the others. I know the pilot and post injections are modified and not stock, so I'm assuming it to get better fuel economy than SFT and MRtuning, not sure about GDE though. But we will see as the increased power may make up for any fuel economy gains. I am dedicating about 10 hours a week to these comparisons for the next few months.
So with EGR shut off. How much soot still gets onto the oil if GDE produces less soot with open EGR valve?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Someone sent me a link to this so i decided to jump in and comment as there was some crazy allegations being thrown around with nothing to back it up.

Im not attacking anyone, im asking for integrity and data to support claims. There is history here that you are unaware of from both sides.

I tried to post here a few times and as a vendor was told i had to pay or sponsor to do so. Wasnt interested in that.

I dont own MRTuning, i am just a dealer. I dont make decisions on who gets free tunes or at cost tunes. Thats the owners decision.

Giving someone who has zero background in tuning, a tune to rev doesnt equal fair representation. All you'll get is one persons experience with limited info. Im not sure where the logic is in that?
i am shocked at the non positive comments here on MRtuning. I have seen several groups on FB where MRtuning is the most popular tune.
I have had both GDE and MRtuning. Homestly O like both for different reasons and both offer different reasons to have it. I am not getting into an argument on who is better. Left FB because of the trash talking guys. Both GDE and MRtuning should be considered the best tunes available. Reckless Mororsports days are numbered. He seems to think the EPA is a joke. They will get him sooner than later. Chris has done more than expected to help me with issues and is very knowledgeable on the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
So with EGR shut off. How much soot still gets onto the oil if GDE produces less soot with open EGR valve?
Soot is produced in cylinder the egr just allows some exhaust gasses back into the intake but doesn't put the soot in the oil. It can plug up the intake, map, swirl valves, etc but doesn't effect the oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll turn it differently for you then, what is killing an engine and a transmission is too much torque down low.
I had main bearing failure at only 22k miles. I read a lot and the low rpm high torque seems to be a contribute factor in engine failure. My truck use to shift around 2100 RPMs under light acceleration. Old diesel engine like that lower rpms but the Ecodiesel needs higher rpms and shift points due to the lower oil pressure in these engines. Just my opinion

·
Registered
63 Posts
Soot is produced in cylinder the egr just allows some exhaust gasses back into the intake but doesn't put the soot in the oil. It can plug up the intake, map, swirl valves, etc but doesn't effect the oil.
EGR off eliminate the intake and swirl valves getting soot deposits doesn't it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
While you are obstinating each other here, each day I do individual customisation tune for customer, some want more power down low, some other want more economie, some want more accelerator reaction, etc..etc... and to add to that, I'm the only one in north america that currently offer true Switch on The Fly tuning for the Ecodiesel, so you can have up to 5 tune of your choice in one ECM, by default I offer Stock tune, econo tune, towing tune, performance tune, race tune, but I can customise it at the demand of the customer. And those that are expert in tune comparison, it would be interesting to know which of my tune has been compared, because you can even compare my Econo tune to my own performance tune and you wil see difference loll...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
EGR off eliminate the intake and swirl valves getting soot deposits doesn't it?
It well help prevent it yes but the ccv system is still allowing crankcase vapors into the engine and can make sticky goo with whatever soot is already in there. Soot by itself doesnt really buildup it needs a bonding agent .

·
Registered
411 Posts
i am shocked at the non positive comments here on MRtuning. I have seen several groups on FB where MRtuning is the most popular tune.
I have had both GDE and MRtuning. Homestly O like both for different reasons and both offer different reasons to have it. I am not getting into an argument on who is better. Left FB because of the trash talking guys. Both GDE and MRtuning should be considered the best tunes available. Reckless Mororsports days are numbered. He seems to think the EPA is a joke. They will get him sooner than later. Chris has done more than expected to help me with issues and is very knowledgeable on the Ecodiesel.
The thread title is "GDE vs MRtuning". The very title means that there will probably be a "winner" and a "loser". As has mentioned several times here, just about anything is better than stock, so of course, most people of facebook will be happy with MR Tuning if it's the only tune they've had experience with. That doesn't make any statements made here any less true or false.

Since you have experience with both GDE and MR, would you care to elaborate on your opinion? Which are you currently running? Why?

·
Registered
411 Posts
While you are obstinating each other here, each day I do individual customisation tune for customer, some want more power down low, some other want more economie, some want more accelerator reaction, etc..etc... and to add to that, I'm the only one in north america that currently offer true Switch on The Fly tuning for the Ecodiesel, so you can have up to 5 tune of your choice in one ECM, by default I offer Stock tune, econo tune, towing tune, performance tune, race tune, but I can customise it at the demand of the customer. And those that are expert in tune comparison, it would be interesting to know which of my tune has been compared, because you can even compare my Econo tune to my own performance tune and you wil see difference loll...
What's different about each of the SOTF options? Fuel economy, HP, TQ, engine limits. What does it cost for existing users to update to SOTF? If they already have an MVPI2?

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is misconception about tuning in general. The ecm memory chip has 'code' and 'data' in it. Tuners change the data. Companies like Bosch, Siemens, Delphi and some OEMs write the code. This code contains all the logic flow like maps, curves, values, arrays, fids, etc. The calibrators then fill the code with data settings. Back when we were working for Chrysler directly, it was common for us calibrators to write 'feature requests' for new code to be implemented. We would lay out the flowcharts using simulink or similar, give it to Bosch and they implemented it in the next software release. Bosch would sell a platform software package and the OEMs personalized it with feature requests. It is also possible to use hardware in the loop along with an ASCET system to link into the software hooks Bosch bakes into the code. This allow one to write new code and test it immediately. Awesome hardware, but very costly.

Hello GDE , any update when to expect tuning for NEW GENERATION diesel engines ????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you also working on a tune for the new 2020-21 Chevy 3.0 straight 6 diesel?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've actually had the opportunity to compare the tune files from GDE, MRTuning, SFT, Reckless Motorsports and PPEI. I recently reviewed Mrtuning's 60hp tune. Mrtuning's file is very similar to SFTs, which I'm sure will come to a surprise to many. MRtuning has only very basic modifications made to fuel, timing, and slightly increased injector duty cycles in the upper end of the RPM range. Boost is actually lower than GDEs and SFT's. The biggest surprise to me was the pilot and post injection maps are unchanged, the same sooty amount of injections/timing as stock which is also what SFT uses. The tune is however smooth, and performs well.

I can't speak for their lesser HP tunes, however.

GDE doesn't have quite as much power, but they have re-engineered the pilot and post injections and optimized them to reduce wasted fuel and provide the cleanest burn and better fuel economy. You will get better fuel economy and produce less soot than MRTuning if you go with GDE. I haven't looked at the newer GDE tune. However, based on their previous tune I'm assuming much of what they had before has moved into the EPA compliant tune. The main thing they needed to do was re-introduce the EGR. They advertise having much less soot than stock, so I imagine the pilot and post injections have been optimized like previous tunes.

If you're looking for the most power, Reckless Motorsports new tune is a step above the others are as far as power and response goes. I have yet to do full comparisons, but will be starting on those this week. We'll see how it performs to the others. I know the pilot and post injections are modified and not stock, so I'm assuming it to get better fuel economy than SFT and MRtuning, not sure about GDE though. But we will see as the increased power may make up for any fuel economy gains. I am dedicating about 10 hours a week to these comparisons for the next few months.
Have you looked at the Banks Derringer tune? Gale Banks' videos are really informative. I have a 2016 Ecodiesel with the GDE tune that I am happy with, but for my Ford F450 I'm looking at the Banks Derringer. Some advantages of the Banks is that it is an OBD II plug in module, so if you have to go to the dealer it's an easy swap without having to have a spare ECU.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Have you looked at the Banks Derringer tune? Gale Banks' videos are really informative. I have a 2016 Ecodiesel with the GDE tune that I am happy with, but for my Ford F450 I'm looking at the Banks Derringer. Some advantages of the Banks is that it is an OBD II plug in module, so if you have to go to the dealer it's an easy swap without having to have a spare ECU.
I've thought about it. Most here don't like the idea because its sensor trickory, as they call it, even though it can accomplish the same thing. Instead of tuning and changing the software on the ECM itself, its an interceptor device and modifies the data as it comes from the sensors so the ECM see's it differently, and adjusts according to what its seeing which provides the results Banks is wanting. They have been around for years. they work, but have more failure points.

But it would make for an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I am late to this thread, but here is my input. What I understand about ECM tuning is about as much as I understand about women. But, even though I don't understand much about either, I do know what I like.

I like my women exotic, thick, and firm. I like my tunes to eliminate the evil EGR, hold high gear, and provide phenomenal MPG. Whatever a tuner has to do to provide what I want is ok with me.

The Canadians will soon be the go to guys for any tune that eliminates the EGR. Jimmy and Reckless will eventually get their EPA visit and that will be all she wrote for the USA.

Competitors will always bicker about the competition. What gets and retains my business is a combination of good product and customer service, with good customer service being a priority.

I wish I knew more about tuning. It is an intriguing subject and I do appreciate those that obtain and evaluate different tunes. Real world comparisons, that don't bash, are informational and beneficial.

The OP's subject for the post is GDE vs Mr. Tuning. The pre-EPA visit GDE tune met the "what I want" requirement. I have not tried Mr. Tuning. Will be buying an Ecodiesel Wrangler sometime this year. Currently Mr. Tuning appears to be the only tuner who offers a Wrangler tune.

Ultimately, everyone needs to be prepared to lose their tunes in a tragic boating accident along with their bang sticks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've thought about it. Most here don't like the idea because its sensor trickory, as they call it, even though it can accomplish the same thing. Instead of tuning and changing the software on the ECM itself, its an interceptor device and modifies the data as it comes from the sensors so the ECM see's it differently, and adjusts according to what its seeing which provides the results Banks is wanting. They have been around for years. they work, but have more failure points.

But it would make for an interesting comparison.
Yes, I would agree that it is "sensory trickery", but living in a EPA compliant state/county, it is an attractive option to use a system that you can pull out quickly without loosing your tune if you have to go to the dealer, and then be able to reinstall quickly after the dealer visit. The other option would be to have 2 ECM's (expensive). I think if I lived somewhere that I wasn't mandatory smog tested, I'd think about removing all the SCR/DEF system mess and run deleted, but that's not an option.
I did like the Gale Banks' video showcasing the differences between several major tuner's offerings. It's the only video I know of that shows a good comparison. I know he is selling his product, but I don't see anyone else doing comparisons like he does.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, I would agree that it is "sensory trickery", but living in a EPA compliant state/county, it is an attractive option to use a system that you can pull out quickly without loosing your tune if you have to go to the dealer, and then be able to reinstall quickly after the dealer visit. The other option would be to have 2 ECM's (expensive). I think if I lived somewhere that I wasn't mandatory smog tested, I'd think about removing all the SCR/DEF system mess and run deleted, but that's not an option.
I did like the Gale Banks' video showcasing the differences between several major tuner's offerings. It's the only video I know of that shows a good comparison. I know he is selling his product, but I don't see anyone else doing comparisons like he does.
I haven't used any of the piggy-back devices personally, but from what I hear they all have a connector (I believe the fuel pressure sensor) that is a real PITA to remove/replace. So in theory, yeah you can remove it at will, but many members can confirm that swapping ECM's is super easy (unless your convicted to putting all four bolts back in). The going price for a hot tune ECM in the forum is what? $550? And then you have your stock for a spare.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Yes, I would agree that it is "sensory trickery", but living in a EPA compliant state/county, it is an attractive option to use a system that you can pull out quickly without loosing your tune if you have to go to the dealer, and then be able to reinstall quickly after the dealer visit. The other option would be to have 2 ECM's (expensive).
There's a much easier method than switching ECM's. Just use the programmer many good tuners provide and flash the ECM back to stock for dealer visits and smog testing. Then flash the tune back to the ECM when done. Easy and better for the motor, unlike sensor trickery boxes.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts