RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

GDE vs MRTuning

102K views 326 replies 54 participants last post by  wellsj 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 2018 Eco 4x4 with 22000 miles 3.92 gears. Plans are to do a 4" lift 35 tires. Right now it's bone stock but has had the egr recall.

Now for what tune to use. I know the basics of both and what they do. What I'm looking for is mileage and power out of the tune. From what I have been reading is GDE will be my best choice for this. Was hoping some of you could maybe give me your input as well as mpg with similar setups.

#168 ·
Hi all
So to sum up any recommendations?
Here in Alberta we have popular cooper custom tuning. But they don't do transmission tune.
Also how much in power gains I should target? Any recommendations? Is 40 hp is good? Coopers tune standart is 60hp increase.
Second option I am looking is either Sofa king or Mr tuning. So I can get transmission tune same time.
Any feedback is appreciated.

#171 ·
Its not so much the power level that makes the tune safe. Peak cylinder pressures and turbo speeds can be exceeded at lower rpms as well. Its really just finding the best quality tune available that supports your desire. If you want a tune that is designed and tested by oem level engineers go with GDE. If you want a tune that is none epa compliant then go with someone else or buy a used ecm with there old tune.

#173 ·
I have MR Tuning level 1 power rating with full delete. Very pleased. Very little smoke at full throttle. Waiting on his transmission tune. Currently running EcoDiesel USA or some say Randy's latest transmission tune. A lot better than his first transmissions tune.

#176 ·
I have both tunes. GDE compliant and MR tuning stage 1. I ran GDE first. Its a great tune. The fuel economy was great. The low end torque was good. My engine failed not from tune but the design flaw. New engine I decided to shut off egr so went to MR Tuning. Also shut off DEF system. I can say fuel economy went down. Low. End torque feels lower. Shift points are higher rpms. I like GDE as far as better all around but went to MRtuning. Both are great tunes for different reasons and needs.

#179 ·
To be fair that's not by their choice. You can blame the wonderful government(s) in North America for chasing pennies when it comes to pollution.

#183 ·
Posted before and was deleted. Not surprised. Basically after following the main Ecodiesel forum on Facebook it was clear that tbe best tune was MRtuning with egr shut off. That was equal to a 9 incher. Partly because guys thought they were badass having a tune in the usa that is illegal by epa standards. On other hand tne competitor tune is epa compliant so that's a 4.5 incher because it's legal. Well the illegal tune actually is dirtier. It regens every 250 miles while the epa compliant tunes was 500 for me. So yes egr off but tune still dirtier. Basically to decide best tunes require pulling pants down to compare. That is the logic the FB groups use. I run my tine based on my needs. Not all tunes are equal
I wonder why it was deleted :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#189 ·
Any feedback on SFT tune? Anyone has it? My local tuner do only engine unfortunatly, so thinking about just buying either SFT or MRtuning. Like the option with SFT about having stage one and stage 2 on the same device. Both can comes with trnasmittion tunes which is nice.

#190 ·
I've been running SFT tunes since late 2019 and have been very satisfied with both the engine and tranny tunes. Early on their service was great but has since deteriorated, they are slow to respond but have been great at updating tunes and answering questions. Since you are in Canada there's no question as to which tune to go with, it would be MRT. I'm not a deleter so having a stage 2 tune is irrelevant.

#198 ·
Ok so far here is the outcomes:
SFT response takes not more than a day and they confirmed issue with remote starter still persist.
MRtuning never responded to my ask to buy a tune from them.
That leaves me with no options except to use CCS (cooper custom solution) tuning which is local to me. They responded that they have a mild transmission tune that might work for me.
Still suprised that after 5! business days MRtuning didnt respond. Looks like it they are not interested in selling it's own product.
Phone number go to french voice mail as soon as you call.

#200 ·
Metuning is a small shop thats does a lot of volume. He the owner decided to partner with Ecodiesel owners of Canada for the sales. Its best to contact them to purchase tuning and hardware. Home | EOC PERFORMANCE PARTS LTD
Thank you. Yes I looked at the site. Pretty expensive stuff. Also since they never returned any of the emails I have some concerns about the future support they might have or might have not. So far only positive feedback from dealing with SFT or CCS even though I am not a customer and they patienly answer all my questions withing one day. I like the idea of SFT being honest and openly admitted about existent problem that they had without hiding anything. Great job SFT for being honest! If I end up with SFT I'll gladly help to fix a cold weather remote start issue since it cold most of the time here :).

#209 ·
GDE, Ecodiesel Performance USA, PPEI. ECU West, and probably others that I'm not aware of.

Reactions: 97hmcs
#215 ·
EcoD Canada should give us discounts for having members advertising:). Chris any promotional codes you can provide us?
Also question for everyone do I have to block off EGR with plates or simple tune deactivation is good enough?
And what about exhaust? I.e. Take out dpf/def part or i can just keep it and dont use it (well not the dpf) or if I delete it do i need to run anew papi right ot hte turbo?
Thank you.

#216 ·
EcoD Canada should give us discounts for having members advertising:). Chris any promotional codes you can provide us?
Also question for everyone do I have to block off EGR with plates or simple tune deactivation is good enough?
And what about exhaust? I.e. Take out dpf/def part or i can just keep it and dont use it (well not the dpf) or if I delete it do i need to run anew papi right ot hte turbo?
Thank you.
Remove the egr if running a stage 2 tune. Go with the turbo-back kit from EOC, you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: Mikesky
#220 ·
Thank you Crash 68 and Rustydusty1717.
Is it hard to DYI and remove the EGR and install a block off plates? Any videos or instructions you can recommend?
As It's a bit confusing with explanation when you have a tune with stage 2 you need off road pipes, ets. so not a straightforward task.
Thank you!

#221 ·
Stage 2 EGR delete I did myself, wasn't that bad. The biggest pain in the arse is the bolts on the exhaust manifold. Spray the crap out of all the bolts maybe the night before with PB blaster and that should help. The DPF/SCR you can just buy the delete pipes and have a local exhaust shop install or install yourself. You don't need to straight pipe unless you want. I removed DPF/SCR as well as the muffler and resonators which are farther back from the DPF/SCR. Stage 2 tunes are designed to have the EGR/DPF/SCR removed. Stage 1 doesn't have anything removed but it does disable the EGR computer wise. The EGR is still notorious for leaking and causing more headaches so it's always suggest to Stage 2 delete it and be done with it.

EGR Delete kit and the DPF/SCR delete pipe can both be purchased from EcoDiesel Canada.

#223 ·
I had a local exhaust shop remove the DPF/SCR so I can't say. I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad either if you spray all the bolts with PB blaster. The muffler/resonator is fine to keep if you want to keep it quiet. Loaded my new EcoD Canada/MRTuning tune today. Couple days of driving like a grandpa then we shall see.

#226 ·
Still pretty quiet compared to a complete straight piped EcoD. Mine is a lot louder than that, and thankfully inside the cab is super quiet with the exhaust still exiting out the back. Only time I complain about my straight piped setup is full my 5th wheel the exhaust echo's off the front of the trailer and is quite annoying.

#238 ·
You will never clean up the exhaust side of a diesel to the point zero build up happens when you recycle that same exhaust through the intake. Even custom tuning every diesel vehicle on a dyno and specially with high mileage ones.

#239 ·
You're right. But nobody is claiming 100% reduction in soot.

But before you can understand how much GDE cleans up the combustion process, you must understand how dirty FCA makes the combustion process. Particularly with their heavy reliance on post-combustion injection to quiet and smooth out the engine, making it less diesel-like to appeal to customers.

Run a current EPA compliant GDE tune, clean your diffuser tube, then come back and post how it looks after, say, 10k miles.

#240 ·
I'd gladly be proven wrong. Show me a GDE tune that reduces the intake buildup by 75% after high mileage (50,000 miles/80,000kms) I'll switch immediately.

I'm all about 'the prove is in the pudding'

Until then I'll gladly take my EGR/DPF deleted diesel that purrs like a kitten.

#241 ·
Even your delete tune isn't going to reduce any soot buildup 'after' high mileage. Come on.

I'm talking real time soot reduction. There's no magic pill that's gonna reduce accumulation and damage that's already done.

Reactions: ItsAlive
#243 ·
My thinking why GDE didn't worked with RAM and put their tune as factory? Or why Factory doesn't use GDE as the main tune?
Combustion can play some role to a certain extent but as Rusty showed his EGR I don't really believe it is possible to reduce it to 75% or less they would done that if possible long time ago.
GDE did you run any tests that Rusty was suggesting? or Anyone with GDE can show his EGR after 10K before oil changes?
Would be great to see real photos not just theory that always looks good on paper:-(

#248 ·
Be interesting to see for sure. Post some pics when you can.

#249 ·
Just quick update for those wondering. Got the truck PCM/TCM back to factory. Loaded my new EcoD Canada tune (MRTuning) and worked flawless (Stage 2 40hp/60hp plus transmission tune). Had to get a 2nd tune done to turn off swirl valves. So far really pleased. No more turbo surge and seems to be a smoother power. Haven't tried the 60hp yet as it's busy towing time of year pulling the 5th wheel or gooseneck with quads/ATV and SxS. Maybe in the fall I'll load the 60hp for a bit and have some fun.

Reactions: Fediej
#259 ·
Driven modestly, and with no load (and all other things equal), which ecodiesel would be expected to have better fuel economy:

1) GDE epa 'compliant' ECM/TCM tune (which is a stage 1); or

2) MRtuning stage 2 tune ?

Anyone with actual experience with both?
I don't know the answer but you are asking for an apples-to-oranges comparison. The proper comparison would be stage 1 to stage1.

If I were to guess any stage 2 tune would beat GDE in mpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.