RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the forum thoughts on this question ? I NEED to buy a tune after letting the dealer install the new AME recall update on my truck. The now the truck drives horribly.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I'd avoid the Jimmy Tune (SKT) if I were you. It hasn't been out long, nobody knows Jimmy's qualifications with tune programming, and the marketing is reproachable He's had a few customers come on here and FB making outlandish claims so it hasn't been very well received.

Take a look at the websites of the Jimmy tune, GDE, PPEI, etc. You'll see who puts more time into the quality and functionality of their tune. It was a no-brainer for me to choose GDE. I've been with them for 4 years now, tuned since 457mi, and zero regrets. I've had the tune updated many times and their customer service is top notch.

I did the core exchange and didn't keep the stock ECM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever had truck into the dealer service department, if so was he able to tell if your truck had been tuned with GDE.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Have you ever had truck into the dealer service department, if so was he able to tell if your truck had been tuned with GDE.
Many times, and no, they can't tell. I've had to be stern with them that they don't update the ECM and overwrite the tune. Should that happen, it's only $50 to get the tune back from GDE.

A downside of the Jimmy Tune and the OBD2 programming is it increases the flash counter on the ECM. This doesn't happen with GDE's bench flash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I think when Ram send me my settlement money I will try their ECM tune. After I got the new AME recall up date it changed the shift patterns on the trans. The truck now will not shift out until the engine reaches 2500 rpms or above, mpg is around 24-25 mpg on he hwy. Not the same truck.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
T&S speed shop is out of Canada the owners name is David he personally owns and drives a Ram ecodiesel and makes some of the best products for them. The tuning he sells is developed by Mr tuning and was perfected on Davids personal truck. His website is not the best but the product is top notch. You'll need ecm and tcm tuning to get the best results.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Only if the name wasn't sofa king tune. Make my eyes pop out looking at that company name.... Nothing against the sofa king..

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
the marketing is beyond reproach
I'm pretty sure you mean the opposite.
Dictionary said:
such that no criticism can be made; perfect.
synonyms: perfect, beyond criticism, blameless, above suspicion, without fault, faultless, flawless, irreproachable, exemplary, unimpeachable, impeccable, immaculate, unblemished, spotless, untarnished, stainless, unstained, pure, as pure as the driven snow, whiter than white, sinless, guiltless, unsullied; informalsqueaky clean
"her public image had to be beyond reproach"

·
Registered
120 Posts
My truck has been tuned by GDE and SFT. I like both, for different reasons. GDE got a little better fuel economy. SFT is more responsive and seems to be slightly more aggressive. 0 issues with either tune. Lots of people on here don't like SFT, some have good reason, others are GDE fanboys. I've tried to keep an unbiased view. I first tried the SFT TCM tune and absolutely loved it. I had that paired with my GDE tune and thought it was a great combination. But when I got the SFT ECU tune, the throttle response and midrange power felt nicer. I didn't have to floor it to get going. Both are way better than stock. If you go with SFT, choose EGR Delete when you order it. This will remove it in the software, same thing GDE does. EGR=Diesel killer.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
My truck has been tuned by GDE and SFT. I like both, for different reasons. GDE got a little better fuel economy. SFT is more responsive and seems to be slightly more aggressive. 0 issues with either tune. Lots of people on here don't like SFT, some have good reason, others are GDE fanboys. I've tried to keep an unbiased view. I first tried the SFT TCM tune and absolutely loved it. I had that paired with my GDE tune and thought it was a great combination. But when I got the SFT ECU tune, the throttle response and midrange power felt nicer. I didn't have to floor it to get going. Both are way better than stock. If you go with SFT, choose EGR Delete when you order it. This will remove it in the software, same thing GDE does. EGR=Diesel killer.
What exactly is a fanboy?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your turbo fail after installing the Jimmy Tune? How soon after the Jimmy Tune did your turbo fail? How do we know what Jimmy's experience is with programming to be confident he isn't over-speeding the turbo?

·
Registered
496 Posts
@BH When you say Jimmy Tune I get that you're referring to Sofa King Tuned in a tongue in cheek manner. Where does it come from?

·
Registered
496 Posts
What exactly is a fanboy?
Fanboy:

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase
"Object of affection = Best Ever"
However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it.

Troll the internet to spread the gospel.

Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it.

Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts