RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Ram Towing Capacity shows me 9600 lbs but that's always on the safer side of things, I'm wondering if anyone has tried towing more than their officially listed capacity?

Thanks,

Registered
Welcome, the highest weight I have towed so far has been just a little over 7K, and before i do it again or heavier I will have air bags and a WDH, it was ALL my truck wanted, engine did fine but I could tell I was pushing it weight wise and the way I am equipped, there is a towing sub-forum here that may give you some better ideas

Reactions: aj_g

Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
Since the 2015 model year trucks, all Ram towing capacities have been SAE J2807 tested/rated for towing/hauling capacity. You don't rei want to start venturing over the max towi, most likely you'll run out of truck axle capacity before going over the towing.
If you need to tow over 10K in a regular basis, you should consider a HD truck instead.

Registered
Towing 9,600 lbs put your total weight ( truck and trailer) in 16,000 lb range. I think that our little 1/2 ton would be maxed out towing those weights up grades and especially trying to hold speed down grades and stopping. :eek:

Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
Towing 9,600 lbs put your total weight ( truck and trailer) in 16,000 lb range. I think that our little 1/2 ton would be maxed out towing those weights up grades and especially trying to hold speed down grades and stopping. :eek:
Speaking of, can anyone comment on how well the GDE turbo brake option works? I routinely tow about 6000 lbs. and wouldn't mind a little more assist on the downhills.

Super Moderator
On the 4th gen platform the max CVWR (combined vehicle weigh rating) was 15,950. The 5th gen max is a little more. Yep even with 3.92s, tune, honeycomb grill 16k is a lot up a long mountain grade. Limit sustained rpms to 3k and you will be fine. That鈥檚 usually 45-50 mph in 4th or 5th gear.

With turbo brake (from a tune) and factory TBC (trailer brake controller) no issues coming down a long 6%. They control your speed so you鈥檙e brakes are fresh & cool for a hard stop. It鈥檚 very reassuring compared to the old days.

One caveat if it鈥檚 a slick road rain etc be careful hitting the TBC too fast or hard as you could make a trailer tire slide and not even know it. Naturally you will be going a little slower for the road condition anyway plus add in some truck brakes as is prudent.

Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
I don't suggest going over the rating, but I would point out that some models of the Gen5 are rated to tow 12,750 with the ED. AFAIK, they have the same brakes and axles on all models. That indicates that the limitation is probably the high-temp hill starts. Maybe you could get away with towing over the limit with flatter starts and cooler temps. I don't need to or want to.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

The Max Towing Package doesn't change axle capacity or brakes.
Font Pattern Circle Number Symmetry

Registered
2021 Ram Eco Diesel Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
So the Ram Towing Capacity shows me 9600 lbs but that's always on the safer side of things, I'm wondering if anyone has tried towing more than their officially listed capacity?

Thanks,
Depends if you鈥檙e talking towing something for farm work or close by vs driving up mountains in inclement weather. I鈥檓 sure the truck can handle a few extra pounds here and there but not for the long haul. If you鈥檙e talking towing big box like travel trailers, then think less than your stated max. As that puts extra stress dragging these parachutes through the air.
I鈥檓 running close enough to max. I have a 9800 lbs tow rating. I run 7700 ish without water depending on trip with a 33 ft long travel trailer with a descent frontal mass. Up 100 degree grades. It鈥檚 pushing the truck pretty good but It gets the job done just fine. Very happy with it over all. The eco diesel benefits greatly with a more open grille style if you鈥檙e going to use it for heavy towing.

Registered
Speaking of, can anyone comment on how well the GDE turbo brake option works? I routinely tow about 6000 lbs. and wouldn't mind a little more assist on the downhills.
I have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune with the engine brake option. It's something that you won't notice under normal driving conditions but will notice if coming off a long steep pass towing a trailer. It's nice when the transmission and engine can handle the load and do most of the braking. It saves the truck and trailer brakes for emergency braking. It's worth the extra $50 dollars.

On a side note, the 'regen messaging option' is something that a few people have regretted getting. Before I got the tune, it was nice to drive the truck and rarely see the regen message. When I did see the message, I knew the truck needed to be driven on the highway and cleaned out. Now, I see the message every time the truck goes into a regen. This makes me feel like I need to let the truck finish the regen cycle before shutting off the engine. I like the data, so I don't regret getting the regen option, but it does drive my wife a little crazy at times.

Registered
Depends if you鈥檙e talking towing something for farm work or close by vs driving up mountains in inclement weather.
This is very true. I've had my truck overloaded a few times, but each time I was driving on back roads at very low speeds (30 - 35 mph) for just a few miles.

I didn't weigh this load, but I would guess it was close to 11,000 lbs.

Reactions: TexasJoe

Registered
2021 Ram Eco Diesel Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
Yeah that鈥檚 a good load! I bet you鈥檙e at least sitting around 11k. Dirt can be deceiving so could be more. Great to see the eco doing some real work!
My dad over loaded his 06 2500 early on with the dump trailer. He goes it sure was working to come up the grade.
He lives up a little winding mountain grade of 3-4 miles. I called the rock yard and he was well over. Truck didn鈥檛 care though but I was like dad maybe next time you ask for material weights.

Registered
My dad over loaded his 06 2500 early on with the dump trailer.
Dump trailers by themselves are heavy, especially tongue weight heavy. My dump trailer weighs nearly 4,000 lbs empty and it's only a 6'x12' (10,000 GVWR). That only leaves me with about 6,000 lbs of cargo. Even though it's the perfect size for a dump trailer, it's pushing the limits for a 1/2 ton truck if hauling heavy material. Here are my loads (limbs and pine duff) from last week:

Registered
Turbo brake is an excellent option, especially when coupled with a good transmission tune. I had a GDE tune for years with turbo brake coupled with a GDE transmission tune. Just a tap of the brake would cause a downshift and the turbo brake would engage with the increase in RPM. It would hold a load very well going down grades.

I now run a MRT tune and they set it up with a turbo brake for me. Works amazingly well with my GDE trans tune.

Reactions: DATA
1 - 14 of 14 Posts