RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for oil filters in anticipation of when I need to do the first oil change on my 2020. I have a couple of filters left-over from when I had my 2014 gen-2 ED. I was surprised to see that Ram has changed the filters & the gen-2 filters won't work for a gen-3 engine. The big difference is the Gen-3 now comes with the housing cap attached to the filter & this makes the filter more expensive. Because the gen-3 engine is so new I'm not finding many outlets to purchase a filter from. Has anyone found better resources for gen-3 filters yet.

Here's what I've found so far.

Geno's is really proud of them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Holey Crap! $75!! Looks like the exact same filter with the housing stuck to it. Maybe you could buy a Gen2 housing and the get the filters separately. ($40 for an OEM on Amazon)

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
337 Posts
brought mine in for the first oil change and the dealer said we don't have an oil filter for the gen 3, lol guess it was news to them too that its changed from the gen 2. at least they had enough sense to not try a gen 2 oil filter on it. they said it would leak. anyway took a nice hemi home as a loaner that I plan to burn their fuel up in tomorrow. and my first oil change will be on the house.

·
Read Only
158 Posts
I get my filters for my 2014 from Diesel Filters Online and pay $37+, so the 2020's filter is $6 more. Sure looks like the same housing and would think that filter pops out? Guess you'd have to buy one and check it out!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dealer should have just changed the oil change interval to a 9999 miles in their system. I know if I’ve gone over a couple hundred miles I’ve told the service manager to make it what it should be. And most don’t care

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The new filter is the same size but is claimed to filter more efficiently. One technically could use a filter from a second gen with an old cap from what Ive heard. But give it time the price well come down.

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
That's sad that the new filter is one-piece with the housing. Silly price for any cartridge oil filter, which is essentially what that is.

Check to see if anyone markets one one Ebay. I used to buy EcoGuard oil filters for my 2014 Ecodiesel for UNDER $10 each. Check around.

*** I did some checking. Oh my. Saw that filter for about $80. Unreal. Someone will make them aftermarket.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not in a big hurry because I'm not close to an oil change yet. I'm thinking that I'll either wait to see if the price comes down as more sources become available or I might buy one from diesel filters online so I have one & then see what happens in the future. IMO: These are crazy high prices for an oil filter, but what ya going to do if this is all that's offered in the market.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,038 Posts
It looks like an attempt to "idiot proof" installing the oil filter? Every now and then someone will pop up with a "dented" oil filter story.

After my first oil change, trying to pull that filter out of the housing took some pulling, and when it pulled loose in a long arm waving arc, I sprayed oil all over the side of my RV.

And I'm wondering, if some people (dealers included) are not "snapping' the new filter in correctly, putting the filter in "off kilter" position, and when shoved up against the hole that is now misaligned, causing the filter bend.

Now I want to hear of someone taking apart the new Gen 3 filter to see just what's going on. Is it the same???

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,677 Posts
It looks like an attempt to "idiot proof" installing the oil filter?
If putting the oil filter in the housing for the EcoDiesel needs idiot proofing, I'm pretty sure that another sign we as a society is doomed...LOL
:D
I'd be more concerned about the dealer oil change jockeys screwing things up but if you change your own oil it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
They idiot proof it for the dealer oil change jockeys. They don’t care about the home garage jockeys. If anything they’ve worked on making things more difficult at an attempt to make customers more dealer reliant.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been looking around for oil filters in anticipation of when I need to do the first oil change on my 2020. I have a couple of filters left-over from when I had my 2014 gen-2 ED. I was surprised to see that Ram has changed the filters & the gen-2 filters won't work for a gen-3 engine. The big difference is the Gen-3 now comes with the housing cap attached to the filter & this makes the filter more expensive. Because the gen-3 engine is so new I'm not finding many outlets to purchase a filter from. Has anyone found better resources for gen-3 filters yet.

Here's what I've found so far.

Geno's is really proud of them.
Guys I bought one from a dealer. Had to travel 90 miles just to get one. $91 plus tax. It is NOT like the 2014 with a housing, so don’t try it. The one in the link you shared looks like the right one but the part number not the same. I’ll share a pic of the one I got from the dealer.
Also, if you change your own oil. The crossmember is in the way of the drain plug. Unless you want a massive mess take it off. 4 bolts and it falls right off, only took me 2 minutes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It looks like an attempt to "idiot proof" installing the oil filter? Every now and then someone will pop up with a "dented" oil filter story.

After my first oil change, trying to pull that filter out of the housing took some pulling, and when it pulled loose in a long arm waving arc, I sprayed oil all over the side of my RV.

And I'm wondering, if some people (dealers included) are not "snapping' the new filter in correctly, putting the filter in "off kilter" position, and when shoved up against the hole that is now misaligned, causing the filter bend.

Now I want to hear of someone taking apart the new Gen 3 filter to see just what's going on. Is it the same???
I just changed the oil in my Gen 3 today. I’m letting the old filter drain overnight and I’m going to take it apart to see what changed. I still have my Gen2 ED but I’m going to be honest the caps look much different in person. I can’t see the Gen2 filter/cap coming close to working on a Gen3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How 'bout some side-by-side pics?
I may do side by side pics if I have time, but I’m telling you guys the cap is nowhere near the same. I can’t see it being worth risking an engine failure trying to save a few bucks on a filter. They aren’t cheap but they’ll come down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I may do side by side pics if I have time, but I’m telling you guys the cap is nowhere near the same. I can’t see it being worth risking an engine failure trying to save a few bucks on a filter. They aren’t cheap but they’ll come down.
Ok here are some pics. The new filter is the gen 2 filter. The Gen2 is longer and has a solid cap at the end. The Gen3 is shorter and is a pass thru filter so completely different design.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts