RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Perfect. I'm glad that Ram is still recommending Rotella T6. I'm an Amsoil guy, but I've been running the T6 in my 2015. Now that I know it's still being recommended, I'll keep running the T6 in the 2020 as well. Have you found a good place to buy it? If I can find it on sale, I'll stock up on it.
Walmart and Tractor Supply are my go to, but this is the best deal I could find lately.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I saw that! Hopefully my parents are still members, lol.
My dad said he let their membership lapse, but was interested in rejoining. So, I got online and was able to join and add him to the membership. I'm going to see if I can get 5 packs tomorrow (15 gallons). 5 pack is the max per member.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Another source for T-6
Thank you for the link. That's the same price per gallon as Sam's Club. The Amazon link is for a one time purchase, which I just made. Before I drove to Sam's Club, I looked to see if the oil was in the store. It is only available online (my local Sam's Club stores don't stock it). Surprisingly, the cost to ship it from Sam's Club is extremely cheap. I think all 15 gallons came to $4.00 bucks in shipping. I haven't ordered the oil from Sam's Club yet since we'll be out of town for a week. But half way through my vacation, I'll place the order so it will arrive about the time I get home.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
the fuel filter was mentioned , here are images I got inanother thread ,
does not say if part number on the housing is the inner filter , or if the whole assembly needs to be replaced
like theoil filter set-up . To be Determined ....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
FYI: I ordered an oil filter from diesel filters on-line. I just received an email from them stating that they don't have them yet and asked if I would like to backorder or cancel the order. I decided to backorder because it's the best price I've seen so far. I guess it's going to take awhile for the outside vendor/aftermarket world to catch up on the Gen-3 changes & parts.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
FYI: I ordered an oil filter from diesel filters on-line.
For those who are wondering, the price is $43.95. Let's hope they get cheaper!

·
Read Only
594 Posts
Well Canadian dealers use to charge 285 dollars for oil and filter for my 2016 ED. So my god what would they charge if the oil filter is up to 90 dollars US? Over 300 to have them not hassle you over service history? I loved that motor but with gasoline 18 cents cheaper than diesel with this market collapse I'll stick to feeding all that fuel to my Hemi. I think the only way I'd get back into diesel is if I strike it rich and can afford a nice Cummins crew cab. FCA just makes the service unreasonably expensive for the ED for what it is. Crossmemeber over the drain plug is uncalled for typical FCA. Although I must say Gen2 was a dream to change the oil on. Good luck trying to save money on service guys.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
So the Gen 3 filter DOES pop out of the housing. If you buy a new one with housing then why not one without housing?

Noticed the Mopar filter box clearly said ..."Made in China".

·
Registered
49 Posts
So the Gen 3 filter DOES pop out of the housing. If you buy a new one with housing then why not one without housing?

Noticed the Mopar filter box clearly said ..."Made in China".
It doesn’t “pop out”. I had to force it out with a long screwdriver and afterwards wouldn’t go back in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well Canadian dealers use to charge 285 dollars for oil and filter for my 2016 ED. So my god what would they charge if the oil filter is up to 90 dollars US? Over 300 to have them not hassle you over service history? I loved that motor but with gasoline 18 cents cheaper than diesel with this market collapse I'll stick to feeding all that fuel to my Hemi. I think the only way I'd get back into diesel is if I strike it rich and can afford a nice Cummins crew cab. FCA just makes the service unreasonably expensive for the ED for what it is. Crossmemeber over the drain plug is uncalled for typical FCA. Although I must say Gen2 was a dream to change the oil on. Good luck trying to save money on service guys.
It’s kind of silly but taking the crossmember off to change the oil took all of 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It’s kind of silly but taking the crossmember off to change the oil took all of 2 minutes.
I haven't seen the crossmember situation, but I assume the crossmember is in the way of the drain plug? If so, someone could install a Fumoto Valve, that way they wouldn't need to remove the crossmember the next time around.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have Rotella T6 jugs and a Fumoto valve waiting. Just need the ever illusive oil filter! Hopefully it'll show up in a few weeks or my truck will have to be parked!

Side note: Rotella T6 doesn't meet the new MS-12991 spec so in the future I guess I'll try the Pennzoil or Valvoline oils that do meet spec. Walmart sells either for only slightly more than Rotella.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't seen the crossmember situation, but I assume the crossmember is in the way of the drain plug? If so, someone could install a Fumoto Valve, that way they wouldn't need to remove the crossmember the next time around.
You could probably do that. I had one on my super duty and loved it. However, I do not know if there’s enough clearance. I would definitely measure it before I ordered one. Either way the crossmember literally takes a couple of minutes to takeoff there’s nothing to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have Rotella T6 jugs and a Fumoto valve waiting. Just need the ever illusive oil filter! Hopefully it'll show up in a few weeks or my truck will have to be parked!

Side note: Rotella T6 doesn't meet the new MS-12991 spec so in the future I guess I'll try the Pennzoil or Valvoline oils that do meet spec. Walmart sells either for only slightly more than Rotella.
I am not sure what spec you are referring to but they specifically recommend Rotella T6 in the owners manual.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts