RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am not sure what spec you are referring to but they specifically recommend Rotella T6 in the owners manual.
Correct. Both specs are in the early 2020 manuals. Apparently that was in error and the old spec should have been removed. If you download the manual today only the new spec is mentioned. If you go to the dealer, only the new oil will be used which is why oil changes are so expensive.

Here's a little more info:

Also, Ram representatives on other forums have confirmed that MS-12991 is the only oil spec for Gen 3 engines.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Also, Ram representatives on other forums have confirmed that MS-12991 is the only oil spec for Gen 3 engines.
Keep in mind that MS-12991 is neither a certification nor an approval and there are no rules for what a vendor must do to meet a specification aside from simply meeting that specification. "Chrysler does own the MS-12991 standard, because they created it to ensure that owners use a minimum oil quality in their vehicles. Note, minimum. There are products out there that will outperform that standard."

I'm going to send an email to Amsoil to see which oil they recommend for the gen III EcoDiesel. I will report my findings when I hear back! But don't get caught up with the MS-12991 since it gives you very little information. This is where posting UOA results will be important to 'prove' how these engines are holding up under certain oils.

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Keep in mind that MS-12991 is neither a certification nor an approval and there are no rules for what a vendor must do to meet a specification aside from simply meeting that specification. "Chrysler does own the MS-12991 standard, because they created it to ensure that owners use a minimum oil quality in their vehicles. Note, minimum. There are products out there that will outperform that standard."

I'm going to send an email to Amsoil to see which oil they recommend for the gen III EcoDiesel. I will report my findings when I hear back! But don't get caught up with the MS-12991 since it gives you very little information. This is where posting UOA results will be important to 'prove' how these engines are holding up under certain oils.
I think there are two ongoing issues that are different in nature.

1) Which oil will perform better (or best) and allow the engine to operate at max efficiency and reliably for years to come.

2) Which oil will be guaranteed to maintain factory warranty should a major engine failure occur prior to 100,000 miles.

It sounds like you're thinking in terms of #1, while I'm more concerned about #2. And rest assured, if a rod bearing goes or some other significant engine or emissions issue arises, which was very common on Gen 2 engines, the first thing FCA is going to check is oil records. If they find that MS-12991 was not the oil standard used in the Gen 3 engine, you can bet your boots they'll deny warranty regardless of whether or not the oil used was "better than standard". And they'll have firm legal ground to do so.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think there are two ongoing issues that are different in nature.

1) Which oil will perform better (or best) and allow the engine to operate at max efficiency and reliably for years to come.

2) Which oil will be guaranteed to maintain factory warranty should a major engine failure occur prior to 100,000 miles.

It sounds like you're thinking in terms of #1, while I'm more concerned about #2. And rest assured, if a rod bearing goes or some other significant engine or emissions issue arises, which was very common on Gen 2 engines, the first thing FCA is going to check is oil records. If they find that MS-12991 was not the oil standard used in the Gen 3 engine, you can bet your boots they'll deny warranty regardless of whether or not the oil used was "better than standard". And they'll have firm legal ground to do so.
I see what you're saying; however, FCA can't legally deny warranty if you're using an oil that meets their specs. Any engine oil that meets OE specs is covered under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

I did hear back from Amsoil. They said the Amsoil 5W-40 EFM is the only oil that Amsoil offers that meets and exceeds the gen. III EcoDiesel specs. That will most likely be the oil that I will use. Who knows when I'll get the truck, but I will post UOA results at the first 5,000 mile interval.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I discovered that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and the Valvoline MST Euro 5W40 are both available from Walmart.com for well under $10 per quart so I will likely go with one of those.

But, since I have 12 quarts of Rotella T6 sitting in the garage I'll use it up first.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I discovered that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and the Valvoline MST Euro 5W40 are both available from Walmart.com for well under $10 per quart so I will likely go with one of those.

But, since I have 12 quarts of Rotella T6 sitting in the garage I'll use it up first.
I wonder if T6 meets the minimum MS-12991 spec? Maybe I'll contact Rotella and ask them.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I just heard back from Rotella. Here's what they said:

"Hello Rhett,

Trust you are well. If the vehicle calls for a product that meet MS 12991. Our Rotella product will NOT work in the application. The only product we have that meets the spec is the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

Hope this helps."

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just heard back from Rotella. Here's what they said:

"Hello Rhett,

Trust you are well. If the vehicle calls for a product that meet MS 12991. Our Rotella product will NOT work in the application. The only product we have that meets the spec is the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

Hope this helps."
Thanks for checking on that. It's pretty much what the Ram Cares reps on the other forums have been saying.

I'm starting to wonder if I should try to sell my unopened T6 and buy some MS-12991 oil. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks for checking on that. It's pretty much what the Ram Cares reps on the other forums have been saying.

I'm starting to wonder if I should try to sell my unopened T6 and buy some MS-12991 oil. Hmmmm....
I would sell it. Find someone in your area who has a 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel. (y)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I can’t see a dealer offering a $60 oil change on a diesel. The ED takes 5W-40 which is fully synthetic. $60 barely buys you the oil itself.
I bought 20 Changes/rotations for $46.90 each. It's all about getting you back to the dealer. I just used my last one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I bought 20 Changes/rotations for $46.90 each. It's all about getting you back to the dealer. I just used my last one.
$46.90 is CHEAP! Are you talking about your gen. II engine? If so, we are talking about the gen. III engine. Also, what oil are they putting in your truck?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got notification today that my oil filter from dieselfiltersonline has shipped. Took three weeks. Not horrible considering the circumstances I guess.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Got notification today that my oil filter from dieselfiltersonline has shipped. Took three weeks. Not horrible considering the circumstances I guess.
Eventually, supply will increase. They now have that engine in the Ram and Wrangler, next is the Gladiator. I've even read that they could be putting the EcoDiesel in the new 2021 Grand Wagoneer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yay! It's so small for a diesel though!

20200413_184609.jpg 20200413_184556.jpg 20200413_184521.jpg 20200413_184609.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Got mine today too. I’m all set for the next 100k miles. Amzing they are the only one selling it at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got mine today too. I’m all set for the next 100k miles. Amzing they are the only one selling it at a reasonable price.
I know. The competitors may come down, OR, this place may go up! If I had the money, I would buy several of them now to have on hand.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I thought about buying a few filters, but I don't even have my truck yet. I keep thinking these filters will get cheaper, but maybe it's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking around for oil filters in anticipation of when I need to do the first oil change on my 2020. I have a couple of filters left-over from when I had my 2014 gen-2 ED. I was surprised to see that Ram has changed the filters & the gen-2 filters won't work for a gen-3 engine. The big difference is the Gen-3 now comes with the housing cap attached to the filter & this makes the filter more expensive. Because the gen-3 engine is so new I'm not finding many outlets to purchase a filter from. Has anyone found better resources for gen-3 filters yet.

Here's what I've found so far.

Geno's is really proud of them.
This seems to defeat the purpose of why manufacturers went back to cartridge-type filters. Now we must throw away a perfectly good housing with every filter change. Kind of goes against the "eco" part of "eco diesel".

61 - 80 of 100 Posts